news & politics:discussion

zahidf

20 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah. And "conservative" literally means "little change"

Yup - the issues with private schools go beyond just who has the best education. It's instilling a sense of entitlement and unwarranted self-belief.

I do sometimes wonder if there's a clever way around it - like if you have private schools and private tuition you have to do some sort of military or social service.

You'd have to look at restructuring schools entirely to cater for kids with different needs. It'd be really hard, but certainly not impossible.

The way to effectively outlaw private education is to make it a legal requirement to attend a state school between the ages of 5-18 or something along those lines. No idea how you’d clamp down on private tuition though. It would be very easy to do it on the sly. 

Cummings painting a very ugly picture today, that should damn the entire Tory leadership for a generation.

And yet I fear it will not even dent Johnson's popularity. He'll deny everything, and as Cummings is such an unsympathetic character, people will side with BJ.

Problem with Cummings evidence is that the impression I get from most people is that "mistakes were made and no one had dealt with a pandemic before, can't blame anyone, time to move on". Of course this is wrong but I think that's how a lot of public will deal with it

23 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Anyone else reckon that Cummings can now forget about getting an invitation to Boris Johnson’s forthcoming wedding? 

I'm sure you're right. But then, not even all of BoJo's kids will likely get an invite.

Listened to some Cummings on the way and way back from me Jab. A couple of digs at Carrie as expected and lots of how useless Boris is. He did say that no way that himself should have been in such a high position. He had a wonderful dig about the whole system and how messed up it all is and the wrong people are at the top jobs, and the real talent can not get there. Ended with saying the last Election summed it up with the choice of Boris or Corbyn who are both useless

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Cummings painting a very ugly picture today, that should damn the entire Tory leadership for a generation.

And yet I fear it will not even dent Johnson's popularity. He'll deny everything, and as Cummings is such an unsympathetic character, people will side with BJ.

Should we believe the liar and chancer or the liar and chancer?

5 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Listened to some Cummings on the way and way back from me Jab. A couple of digs at Carrie as expected and lots of how useless Boris is. He did say that no way that himself should have been in such a high position. He had a wonderful dig about the whole system and how messed up it all is and the wrong people are at the top jobs, and the real talent can not get there. Ended with saying the last Election summed it up with the choice of Boris or Corbyn who are both useless

So we're in the situation that Cummings is now the voice of reason, honesty and self-reflection. The world is upside-down!

1 hour ago, topmarksbri said:

Problem with Cummings evidence is that the impression I get from most people is that "mistakes were made and no one had dealt with a pandemic before, can't blame anyone, time to move on". Of course this is wrong but I think that's how a lot of public will deal with it

I happened to see a documentary about the 1918 pandemic in the middle of the night the USA govt never publicly acknowledged it was happening even when ten thousand plus conscripts died in army bases.. no wonder trump could get away with his approach.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

Well, the facts of what we all experienced align with Cummings' testimony.

But I still think he is awful.

Yeah apart from the Sunak stuff 

10 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

So we're in the situation that Cummings is now the voice of reason, honesty and self-reflection. The world is upside-down!

I know. madness. He was painting himself as if he and a few others knew best, but then later basically said he was thick with no idea. 

Cummings is right that the entire process and governmental apparatus at the moment is fucked and needs a total overhaul.

We'd probably all be appalled by the way he would overhaul it, and call it undemocratic because it would be. But that doesn't mean he's wrong when he says it's broken in the first place.

Ian Dunt is a fool. Blows with the wind and then tries to claim hindsight as prophecy.

Same goes for James O’Brien, Dan Hodges etc

I blocked these charlatans on twitter sometime ago, I don’t want to be exposed to their blithering on here. In fact I’d rather shit in my hands and clap.

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Ian Dunt is a fool. Blows with the wind and then tries to claim hindsight as prophecy.

Same goes for James O’Brien, Dan Hodges etc

I blocked these charlatans on twitter sometime ago, I don’t want to be exposed to their blithering on here. In fact I’d rather shit in my hands and clap.

thanks for posting though.