news & politics:discussion

zahidf

8 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Then recent history tells us that the status quo options don’t do well in referenda. Throw in the fact that the DUP is an absolute basketcase and the tories probably privately wouldn’t mind letting Northern Ireland go, then I think theres a decent chance that the republicans would win.

I think for the Tories as well it gets rid of a complicated/irritating bit of the Brexit deal. It's a pretty small % of people in the rest of the UK who give a shit/are even cogent of what happens in NI anyway.

4 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

I think for the Tories as well it gets rid of a complicated/irritating bit of the Brexit deal. It's a pretty small % of people in the rest of the UK who give a shit/are even cogent of what happens in NI anyway.

yeah, I'm not sure many english people care about scotland leaving, and even less so N Ireland.

But, I don't think it's that simple. Would kick off big time. The best was the Good Friday agreement but brexit has kind of fucked that. I think UK will do a deal with EU soon to reduce checks in Irish sea, probably UK aligning with EU food/animal regulations.

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Loooool interesting reporting there with Blair as #2.

Here the full approval ratings from that poll - Blair is last and rightly so. The rest are just less well known, hence less people either approve or disapprove.

BCF5A52B-A701-475E-87F3-EB4DF05E8FFB.jpeg

On 5/14/2021 at 6:03 PM, steviewevie said:

Poots now leader of DUP...just incase people had forgotten what a bunch of weirdos they are.

Poots is an absolute wingnut and his appointment is hopefully the death knoll of the DUP. It's depressing how far backwards we're being pulled here, thanks to belligerent unionists (who were fucking creaming themselves for Brexit) rejecting all reasonable Brexit proposals put in front of them. The majority of people in Northern Ireland voted to remain ffs.

Thinking that they'd get a hard border on the island of Ireland. Fuck them.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So what are people's thoughts on the Palestine situation? I'm in the mood for some Sunday afternoon cringe 

I mean it's utterly insane anyone can defend the actions of the Israeli government and the IDF. Whilst over the years the conflict and who started what is up for debate. This particular stint was started by horrible violence against Palestinians being forcefully removed from their homes and places of worship. 

Whereas everyone condemns the actions of Hamas, their attacks make very little damage but the IDF are devastating the Gaza strip. Killing children, pedestrians, bombing that building full of journalists.

Disgusting but expected that western politicians are defending Israel instead of pulling funding and condemning their actions. - Insane how corrupt our country is.

Insane how many people speaking out for Palestine are being called antisemitic, or how Biden has spent the last year saying black lives matter but will let Palestinian children die on the us government's dime. 

It's fucked up and I'm glad their seems to be so much support for Palestine and that people are finally waking up to the situation. The best way to stop the violence on both sides is pull funding from israel

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 6:04 PM, steviewevie said:

As an aside...Cameron really is one of the worst PMs we've ever had, surely?

Ok....who's worse? Thatcher, Blair, Cameron or Johnson?

Thatcher cos she knew what she wanted to achieve and what she wanted to achieve was evil.cameron and spaffer are just in it for themselves

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So what are people's thoughts on the Palestine situation? I'm in the mood for some Sunday afternoon cringe 

I dont know enough about it to make judgement tbh ... anyone provide any basic explanation as to what is going on ? further than lots of rockets going back and forth ? 

1 hour ago, ace56blaa said:

I mean it's utterly insane anyone can defend the actions of the Israeli government and the IDF. Whilst over the years the conflict and who started what is up for debate. This particular stint was started by horrible violence against Palestinians being forcefully removed from their homes and places of worship. 

Whereas everyone condemns the actions of Hamas, their attacks make very little damage but the IDF are devastating the Gaza strip. Killing children, pedestrians, bombing that building full of journalists.

Disgusting but expected that western politicians are defending Israel instead of pulling funding and condemning their actions. - Insane how corrupt our country is.

Insane how many people speaking out for Palestine are being called antisemitic, or how Biden has spent the last year saying black lives matter but will let Palestinian children die on the us government's dime. 

It's fucked up and I'm glad their seems to be so much support for Palestine and that people are finally waking up to the situation. The best way to stop the violence on both sides is pull funding from israel

There would be a lot more carnage from Hamas' rockets if wasn't for Israel's marvel iron dome thing.