news & politics:discussion

zahidf

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Don’t believe everything you read on Twitter (not saying you personally) but remember that Saturday where Twitter was rife with rumours that Starmer was resigning? 

bit weird though this one...considering that tweet was from Political Editor at Sunday Times. Maybe he's pissed. Maybe it's a well known rumour in westminster but he's worried he could be in big doodoo for revealing it? Maybe someone hacked his account? Maybe it's fake? It's exciting though. Starmer might get lots of cred like Bojo...nice one my son, get stuck in there lad. etc.

Edited by steviewevie

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

too London.

etc.

has to be real northern working class likes the footy and a pint and corrie etc etc

Would highly recommend his book Tribes for anyone that's not read it

He seems to be one of the only figures in the party who writes a convincing narrative on how to actually deal with tribalism in Britain. For example, there's a fantastic and really insightful chapter where he visits Peterborough (he went to school there on a scholarship) and talks to all the people he grew up with about Brexit and why they/the town voted for it. You quickly emphasise with lots of the people he chats to, particularly when you realise they've actually been shafted by austerity rather than the EU. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

Closer than anyone would have hoped though. Apparently that Bailey is a properly nasty piece of work.

I agree on both points. The Tory vote was certainly stronger than some of the polling suggested.

As I said earlier, there are some slim positives to see from the election results for Labour in amongst the awful general performance. 

The reason I like Lammy is that he can do that fire & brimstone stuff so much better than most of their current big names. Not many come across as passionate as he does whilst also being sharp and erudite. Starmer is clearly very smart, but he doesn’t stir up emotion when he speaks and that’s probably his biggest drawback. Lammy definitely doesn’t have that problem.

Suggesting that making him leader is bad for Labour because the bigots won’t vote for a black man is all the more reason to make him leader IMO. Just him being the leader of the opposition would do the country a huge amount of good. It would quite quickly expose more than a few closet racists amongst the establishment.

Sadly I don’t think it will ever happen. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mimo said:

The reason I like Lammy is that he can do that fire & brimstone stuff so much better than most of their current big names. Not many come across as passionate as he does whilst also being sharp and erudite. Starmer is clearly very smart, but he doesn’t stir up emotion when he speaks and that’s probably his biggest drawback. Lammy definitely doesn’t have that problem.

Suggesting that making him leader is bad for Labour because the bigots won’t vote for a black man is all the more reason to make him leader IMO. Just him being the leader of the opposition would do the country a huge amount of good. It would quite quickly expose more than a few closet racists amongst the establishment.

Yes I agree with this, he is a brilliant public speaker for all the reasons you outline. He has that passion when he speaks which really connects, it was a speech of his in the Commons on Brexit a few years back that got my attention and then a few more this year. It’s also the way he calming deals with people in an argument as well. This clip from a month or so ago shows it really well.

13 minutes ago, Mimo said:

Labour need to have a leader who has a chance of winning not one who starts with the cards stacked against him that was Corbyn they need to be smart enough not to go round that loop again.i don't think Lanny would lose because he's black but because of the type of black man he is, one who finds fault in white society.thats a bit too much like calling the voters shit...that's not the place to set out a positive vision from.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Labour need to have a leader who has a chance of winning not one who starts with the cards stacked against him that was Corbyn they need to be smart enough not to go round that loop again.i don't think Lanny would lose because he's black but because of the type of black man he is, one who finds fault in white society.thats a bit too much like calling the voters shit...that's not the place to set out a positive vision from.

It’s late and I’m too tired to get into it, but I will just say that I find that to be a hugely problematic statement.

What is the acceptable type of black man in your opinion?

Can you please provide examples of Lammy finding fault in white society (as opposed to British society, which I had assumed includes all of the skin tones)?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mimo said:

It’s late and I’m too tired to get into it, but I will just say that I find that to be a hugely problematic statement.

What is the acceptable type of black man in your opinion?

Can you please provide examples of Lammy finding fault in white society (as opposed to British society, which I had assumed includes all of the skin tones)?

PeBritish society has many failures on race issues and Lammy rightfully calls them out. people prefer to not have their failures highlighted, it's not the way someone wins the support that a politician is trying to win.

I was attempting to separate that side of things which might cause him to be rejected at the ballot box from rejection of him due to just skincolour. My apologies for any offence in the the wording used in trying to say that I wasn't trying to say theres an acceptable type of black person only the broader idea that some approaches to a issue make a better connection than other approaches.

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It doesn't scream massive mandate for another referendum.

There's a million different angles to the no mandate thing.sturgeon has history herself of dismissing democratic votes as not binding. Which she's in fact doing by claiming she has a mandate for a ref if you join up the dots for how come there's a Scottish parliament in the first place. And also democracy is not merely something which exists to her definition. If it di then a Scottish vote is worth ten times as much as other votes from around the UK.she doesn't do democracy she does self serving bollocks.and imagine the shame on being bettered by gavin Williamson on running education.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

PeBritish society has many failures on race issues and Lammy rightfully calls them out. people prefer to not have their failures highlighted, it's not the way someone wins the support that a politician is trying to win.

I was attempting to separate that side of things which might cause him to be rejected at the ballot box from rejection of him due to just skincolour. My apologies for any offence in the the wording used in trying to say that I wasn't trying to say theres an acceptable type of black person only the broader idea that some approaches to a issue make a better connection than other approaches.

It's depressing but this is probably right. I'd like Lammy as leader, but don't think he'd be the best choice if want to actually win an election right now. Maybe one day. Hopefully one day.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer should be reflecting on this...and not kneejerk panicy sackings that just makes the divisions worse.

You are right and I’m sure he/the leadership team are analysing this. Hopefully he offers Raynor a top job within the Cabinet, I saw some talk of offer her the Shadow Home Secretary role. If that is the case then it’s still really poor management of the situation.

Nonetheless that information above shows that gains are being made by Labour and if continued then there is chance albeit slim of a hung Parliament at the next GE which is incredible. It should be strong motivation for everyone to keep going as it’s a slim opportunity to boot the Tories out of government, finally. 

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You are right and I’m sure he/the leadership team are analysing this. Hopefully he offers Raynor a top job within the Cabinet, I saw some talk of offer her the Shadow Home Secretary role. If that is the case then it’s still really poor management of the situation.

Nonetheless that information above shows that gains are being made by Labour and if continued then there is chance albeit slim of a hung Parliament at the next GE which is incredible. It should be strong motivation for everyone to keep going as it’s a slim opportunity to boot the Tories out of government, finally. 

Also talk of Nandy being shadow Home Secretary? (Imagine the fireworks with Patel!) This fallout has been done terribly with all the leaks and how it looks like the strong, working-class women are getting the blame but maybe it is a reshuffle. Possibly clutching a little... 

Lol I come back on here and people are suggesting DAVID LAMMY?

Whilst he’s a nice guy he is seen as one of the top ‘wokies’ of the Labour Party. Very London centric and you know his whole political view has been formed independent of the regions.

bloody hell there are also cringe compilations online with stuff he’s said.

Personally I think Andy Burnham would make a good figure head for Labour, but I don’t see it happening. James O Brien said the other day what they need is a charismatic figurehead and a strong team behind them. He suggested someone like Dec from and and dec.

They need someone who will be successful on the door step. David Lammy would tank anywhere outside of major cities. If you’re argument is “well if you read his book you may like him” it’s already too much for the gb public to like him. They need three words akin to “get Brexit done”

Edited by Matt42

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

No, it really doesn't...so maybe both sides don't want a referendum right now...

Sturgeon never wants a referendum using the facts. She's already talking about s freeze on public spending to cover the deficit that's mega austerity more than the Tories did. Vote Indy for worse than the Tories is not a winning slogan.

15 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Also talk of Nandy being shadow Home Secretary? (Imagine the fireworks with Patel!) This fallout has been done terribly with all the leaks and how it looks like the strong, working-class women are getting the blame but maybe it is a reshuffle. Possibly clutching a little... 

It has been done badly I agree. There’s talk that LOTO are rowing back now after seeing the anger after the Raynor news last night. So Nandy might stay or get another top role and they might not be sacking working class women, hopefully that’s the case.

I think a reshuffle might not be a bad idea depending on who he brings in.