news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

But John McD has already said he doesn’t think KS should resign, so what should he do?

Raynor is staying Dep Leader so will remain in the Shadow Cabinet, she’ll be offered another role so I don’t think this is as bad as it might seem. 

If Keir Starmer came and took a dump in your kettle you'd thank him for it

• Upvote 1

Becoming pretty convinced that Starmer doesn't understand politics at all... This is just shambolic leadership here. He should have just taken the L and moved on.

Be looking at 2029 till Labour lead again and that is only if Labour get some things right in the mean time. Getting Burnham back to Westminister in 2024 would be a start.

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

All by myself, don’t wanna be all by myself!

71478F79-AD01-401F-BFA1-3C72EB9361ED.thumb.jpeg.140e0c11f149c1ca55d594ab13059ab4.jpeg

what an utter dick head 

Alba myself surely?

Credit to Eck - he has managed to unite (most of) both sides of the constitutional divide.

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2021 at 4:33 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Politics in Scotland is crazy now.  The snp supporters mostly vote solely on getting independence irrespective of their dismal record on education, drug deaths health etc.  Meanwhile the unionist voters are still split on the traditional left right and centre parties  . 

I saw this & meant to comment at the time.

Although I take a different view on independence from you, I broadly agree with you here. The constitution now dominates Scottish politics in a way that is unhealthy for good government. Leaving to one side how dismal the SNP's record in government is or isn't, I know as an independence supporter that if I  put my X in any box other than the SNP, Douglas Ross & Anas Sarwar will add my vote to those who oppose independence. Meanwhile Labour supporters vote Tory to keep the SNP out & vice versa.

The Tory campaign is 95% about opposing indyref with barely a policy to be seen.

We need to move on & return to discussing the issues that need addressed. 

The problem ( & this is the bit you won't like) is that the issue is not going to go away unless we have another referendum. It is  not realistic to expect the SNP to stop campaigning for Independence (its kind of what they're for) and like it or not - its a democracy and they are entitled to campaign for whatever they want. There doesn't appear to be any sign of their popularity fading any time soon - the expected forthcoming snub from Mr Johnson is more likely to increase support for Indy than  reduce it and if the Tories win again at the next election.... Equally, you can't stop people supporting independence - The UK parties have tried everything & support has stayed consistently at 45-55% since 2016. 

No, the only way to resolve the issue is to put it to a second vote. 

Now, I appreciate that there are real dangers in this for folk who support remaining in the UK  - most significantly that Yes might win this time and that is clearly true - is that really worse than another 10+ years of the same stalemate which let's face it very likely only kicks the can further down the road.  

Of course the other danger is that my side loses again & refuses to go away again.  My genuine belief is that a second win for No will put the issue to bed for the foreseeable future- Sturgeon would go & unlike last time there will be no obvious successor. There will be no Brexit and, of course there is no reason why part of any agreement to hold a referendum could not include an agreement not to hold another one for an agreed amount of time. 

I guess folk who have been tirelessly campaigning against Indyref2 aren't going to like it but I'd like to know what your alternative is to move on from the situation we are in now.

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Looks like a proper pint as well...

Take note Keir with your shandy like ways 

Look again, that's not a pint, where's the bottom of the glass? Are his hands really that big? Looks like a photoshop to me, even if it was only a half pint the shape isn't right, the 2 sides are different curves,  I'd guess it was a wine glass in his hand  and they've doctored it to make him seem more "working class",  pathetic I know but that pics not right, reminds me of the boy with no legs!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Look again, that's not a pint, where's the bottom of the glass? Are his hands really that big? Looks like a photoshop to me, even if it was only a half pint the shape isn't right, the 2 sides are different curves,  I'd guess it was a wine glass in his hand  and they've doctored it to make him seem more "working class",  pathetic I know but that pics not right, reminds me of the boy with no legs!

It does look a bit fake.

Right, so can't be Burnham. Who's left? Drakeford?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

too London.

etc.

has to be real northern working class likes the footy and a pint and corrie etc etc

Many a truth said in jest

Look at this though - is Starmer bonking Jenny Chapman? Is he even trying to outspaff Johnson now?

EB5D5977-1FBC-4B6A-8622-E78E9111CDF4.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

For all its progressive claims Labour seem to have a problem with capable and powerful women.

My wife is spitting feathers at all this.  Lost her vote for sure.  I ain't best pleased either.  Rayner and Nandy are two of their best assets.

Keir is a cretin

Not one of the best assets if Rayner was responsible for the disastrous campaign. Which was part of her job role.

It's starmer shifting the blame. Surprised to see Corbyn supporters having an issue with blame shifting.