news & politics:discussion

zahidf

21 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Have you ever considered that maybe the Tories DO care about them?

This sort of “same old Tories” attitude is a big part of why Labour is falling miles behind.

Well I guess we will see. They might completely transform those areas and the lives of people living in them. I think it's unlikely but happy to stand corrected if they do. My question was really more: who are they going to vote for if they don't? I don't have an answer but will be interesting to see.

You must be delighted to see your team doing well anyway! 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Well I guess we will see. They might completely transform those areas and the lives of people living in them. I think it's unlikely but happy to stand corrected if they do. My question was really more: who are they going to vote for if they don't? I don't have an answer but will be interesting to see.

I don’t think the Tories care about these people at all, they’ve managed to build up this facade that they do. It’s reminds of the quote from the film The Usual Suspects, “The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist”.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I really think Labour are done mate they’ve been on a trajectory of just losing constituencies rather than gaining any for a while now.

How can you say they will be back in power when they’ve lost Scotland, Wales, the red wall, and now even some of their constituencies outside of London?

They’ve lost their vote base.

The results need to be compared with corbyns first locals before deciding on them cos they we declared as a victory.

22 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Are there any parties out there who have a policy of banning those stupid electric scooters?

Genuinely don't think you're ever further than 2 metres away from one in Bristol / Bath.

I actually had one overtake me in my car whilst driving at 35mph on Tuesday evening!

Bristol is the opposite of banning them it legalised them.

20 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

My team? What are you on about? I voted Tory based on the idea that my life would be better off under them. 

Good analysis here imo. A lot of the "red wall" working class own their own homes, the demographic of the working class has changed so much, there *is* a disconnect between the liberal cities and the northern towns but for deeper reasons than people act like here, the inner city labour workers are as working class as those in the northern towns, but they seem to care about different things. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

My team? What are you on about? I voted Tory based on the idea that my life would be better off under them. 

I just meant that you must be pleased the people you voted for are doing well. "Team" used in a very loose sense, no need to get upset.

• Upvote 1

Also a v good article on Scottish Labour here https://novaramedia.com/2021/05/06/its-win-or-die-for-scottish-labour-so-why-is-the-party-fighting-to-lose/ 

In all honesty no one seems to have a coherent, proper idea of how Labour can win, the Tories seem to control the narrative (with a huge amount of help from the papers). A lot of work needed!

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I just meant that you must be pleased the people you voted for are doing well. "Team" used in a very loose sense, no need to get upset.

Having said that I don't think London will go Tory for mayor. Can't believe we don't find out until Saturday but I would be shocked to see Bailey get it. I've not even had a leaflet from him here.

I would say that nonpartisanism is currently sweeping the country, and a lot of people probably connect with some shade of ‘purple’ rather than distinct red or blue these days. As such, their votes could probably go either way on the day.
If Labour can’t cement their red wall seats like we’re seeing now, then I genuinely have no idea how or when they will ever get back in. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Having said that I don't think London will go Tory for mayor. Can't believe we don't find out until Saturday but I would be shocked to see Bailey get it. I've not even had a leaflet from him here.

It’s due to social distancing isn’t it? It’s the same for the Scottish elections with the results not due till Saturday. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s due to social distancing isn’t it? It’s the same for the Scottish elections with the results not due till Saturday. 

Yeah I think so. From memory the mayoral elections always seem to take a while anyway, but I read that's the reason why this will take longer.

I'm always intrigued as to how much of a personality contest it all is. Are voters in Hartlepool voting for their local MP, or for Johnson? 

In reality it's probably a mix of both, but if it's more the latter, Keir just isn't going to win an election is he?

I generally flit between Green and Labour (and Lib Dem back in 2010, why) and would love Keir on my side in a court case, but he just lacks...mojo.

Lammy would be fucking brilliant, or Burnham if he wanted to return to the fold. I don't think it's necessarily left wing policies that are scary, it's the messaging and the people behind them. 

Edited by Zacko

Just seen today's papers...

Brexit is going so well, that we have had to launch our military to intervene against the French. And this 'victory' is trumpeted as a good thing in all the papers. This is fucking madness.

35 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

What specifically about the last decade of tory policies has improved your life?

11 minutes ago, Zacko said:

I'm always intrigued as to how much of a personality contest it all is. Are voters in Hartlepool voting for their local MP, or for Johnson? 

In reality it's probably a mix of both, but if it's more the latter, Keir just isn't going to win an election is he?

I generally flit between Green and Labour (and Lib Dem back in 2010, why) and would love Keir on my side in a court case, but he just lacks...mojo.

Lammy would be fucking brilliant, or Burnham if he wanted to return to the fold. I don't think it's necessarily left wing policies that are scary, it's the messaging and the people behind them. 

I think Burnham could actually do well. But yeah I don't know how much he would want to leave his current role or how they'd get him in before the next election so it would probably be a way off.

41 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

As well as the xenophobic stuff about Eastern Europeans taking jobs?

This place is actually a mirror image of the dicconect between the average guy from a red wall town and the Labour Party.

What gets a laugh there gets outrage here.  What concerns them there gets mocked here

just to confirm it wasn't a serious suggestion lol.

As I said, just keep the sexist crap out of here. The rest is strawman waffle excusing your low personal standards. 

I think you owe people an apology. 

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Just seen today's papers...

Brexit is going so well, that we have had to launch our military to intervene against the French. And this 'victory' is trumpeted as a good thing in all the papers. This is fucking madness.

Like I said yesterday. The timing of this little scuffle was perfect. What better way of inspiring little Britain than a skirmish against the French. The flag wavers will be loving it. 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Me me me attitude  🤣

But on a serious point... who in their right minds would trust the current Labour lot to make a success of post brexit UK?

Nearly everyone votes for the party that they and their family are better off under