news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

fuckin'ell. What exactly have I done to upset you?

You have a knack of throwing rubbish into topics which doesn't add anything to the discussion.we can all be guilty of that at times.you derailed the shit thread a few times. And your what do Labour stand for earlier was completely unnecessary if you don't know what they stand for then what has been the basis for all of the political comments you've made.

Not sat here typing that believing all my own posts are perfection.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

You have a knack of throwing rubbish into topics which doesn't add anything to the discussion.we can all be guilty of that at times.you derailed the shit thread a few times. And your what do Labour stand for earlier was completely unnecessary if you don't know what they stand for then what has been the basis for all of the political comments you've made.

Tbf to Stevie, he hasn't been anti-Starmer at all really, a few joke posts in there for sure but generally he's been supportive of Labour.

Anyway Sky News reporting that Tories and Labour think that Hartlepool is going blue tonight.

Well who is going to really say what the situation really is for Labour.

They’ve been booted out of Scotland, they are being booted out of Wales, and they are losing the red wall.

Labour is becoming the party of London. Not enough to win any election. They can’t do jack shit in the regional counties and they are losing their lead in boroughs outside of cities of Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds.

I’m not going to try and avoid blanket statements but one by one Labour are losing all of their securities and the tories are becoming the party of the working classes.

they are experiencing what the liberal party did in the early 1900s I think. Their voting base just tapering off.

Labours voting base is becoming smaller and smaller and smaller as the years go by

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nah, not having that. Saying I do not know what labour stand for is unnecessary? All Starmer has been saying is they will clean up politics and not be sleazy like tories. Anyway, whatever.

You need to go back through this thread and look at your weird rants about corbyn trots and scottish sex pests.

It does feel like we are back to where we were at start of 2020 in terms of who people are voting for...as if someone pressed the pause button...with the main difference for places like Hartlepool being that the brexit party no longer exists.

Edited by steviewevie

Boris could go door to door and hit people’s Nan’s over the head with a frying pan and their vote would probably increase. It seems the British people would rather just lump whatever the tories give them than challenge it. 

This isn’t changing any time soon. Remember when Trump joked he could shoot someone in fifth avenue and not lose a single voter? That’s what the tories have now.

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Is there an exit poll thing for Hartlepool (and elsewhere)?

No, the results will come between 4-7.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It does feel like we are back to where we were at start of 2020 in terms of who people are voting for...as if someone pressed the pause button...with the main difference for places like Hartlepool being that the brexit party no longer exists.

It does feel quite like that. It'll be interesting to see how Labour react to this or if they event change tact at all. I imagine we'll see more from Starmer regarding policy as the pandemic ends. But it shouldn't be forgotten that 5/6 days ago the feeling was a bit different with 3 polls showing the Tory lead narrowing due to the sleaze stories.  Of course Labour shouldn't be losing this seat though and it's a bad evening for them if they do; they need to refocus now to try to win back the voters that have left them in recent years.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Nah, not having that. Saying I do not know what labour stand for is unnecessary? All Starmer has been saying is they will clean up politics and not be sleazy like tories. Anyway, whatever.

You need to go back through this thread and look at your weird rants about corbyn trots and scottish sex pests.

It's not weird to point out that Corbyn was always an obvious mistake that's a statement of fact that some people could see andproved itself truewhen Labour tanked. There is a sex pest problem within Scottish in ndy.the first minister suggested she might resign because of it. In both these instances if you followed what was going on no explanation is necessary. Corbyn represents a particular left wing stance long out of step with the mainstream of the Labour party  and their voters here trots is a part of the problem.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Boris could go door to door and hit people’s Nan’s over the head with a frying pan and their vote would probably increase. It seems the British people would rather just lump whatever the tories give them than challenge it. 

This isn’t changing any time soon. Remember when Trump joked he could shoot someone in fifth avenue and not lose a single voter? That’s what the tories have now.

yeah...in guardian podcast about Hartlepool I keep banging on about...many locals were sick of feeling that their town was being "left behind, about a local hospital being closed, and just things being shit....but most of the blame was aimed at labour despite the fact they had a tory govt and labour had lost control of the council...but because they had a labour MP. Just felt a bit unfair really.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

God Labour are so screwed.

I bet the next thing will be the tories making gains in London 

They definitely are whilst Johnson is leader, they need to somehow put enough pressure on Johnson that it causes the Tories to decide they need a new leader.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They definitely are whilst Johnson is leader, they need to somehow put enough pressure on Johnson that it causes the Tories to decide they need a new leader.

I just feel like the damage is done. I really see it as a repeat of the liberal party post-1900.

One really unpopular government with the people - and they just never recovered. I can’t see the the base returning to Labour and I don’t think Labour want them back.

Their political direction, even with Starmer, doesn’t try and get their old voting base back. Every election that passes they get further away.

Boris is really speaking to them right now. The bricks and mortar style politics of this vote leave government is so so popular. It’s easy, digestible, and transparent. 

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just feel like the damage is done. I really see it as a repeat of the liberal party post-1900.

One really unpopular government with the people - and they just never recovered. I can’t see the the base returning to Labour and I don’t think Labour want them back.

Their political direction, even with Starmer, doesn’t try and get their old voting base back. Every election that passes they get further away.

Boris is really speaking to them right now. The bricks and mortar style politics of this vote leave government is so so popular. It’s easy, digestible, and transparent. 

The working classes are in the main very patriotic people, it’s as simple as that. They want to vote for someone that they believe cares about them and their country. 
Pick the bones out of it all you like, I’m not here to argue about jingoism and xenophobia. Boris talks the talk when it comes to sounding genuine in his pride to be British and talking up our country and that’s why he is so successful. 
It’s also what helped Tony Blair win in a landslide. 

4 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

The working classes are in the main very patriotic people, it’s as simple as that. They want to vote for someone that they believe cares about them and their country. 
Pick the bones out of it all you like, I’m not here to argue about jingoism and xenophobia. Boris talks the talk when it comes to sounding genuine in his pride to be British and talking up our country and that’s why he is so successful. 
It’s also what helped Tony Blair win in a landslide. 

You are completely right. Labour’s academic approach to nationalism means nothing to most voters.

It seems like most of these interviewees are under this spell the tories have cast on them.

41 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m sorry Matt but why does everything have to be so sensationalist with you?

No Labour aren’t done. They’re polling a bit behind the tories and it’s a 2 party system- they’ll be back in power again unfortunately it probs won’t be 2024.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Bless - i remember when I had ideals...

Meanwhile the Tories win again because you can't accept realities. 

So if I accept our horrible reality the Tories will lose damn didn't know change was that easy. - You right old mine nothing will ever change in politics. Woman will never get vote etc etc. Boring self defeating argument there

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I just noticed you live in St Ives 😄   You want to come spend some time in a Northern working class town like Bury / Wigan etc 🙂  Would change your world very quickly 🙂 

Yeah I've never been outta my little town, can't possible have friends in Lincoln, hull manchester, don't have a dad that lives in Scotland. - everyone in st.ives is super liberal too, always vote labour no matter what. I'm in such a bubble what am I to do?