news & politics:discussion

zahidf

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

vaccine bounce over?

I'm not so sure it's the vaccine bounce being over but more the Tory sleaze/Johnson allegation stories are cutting through. Either way I'm really happy to see support decline for them.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I'm not so sure it's the vaccine bounce being over but more the Tory sleaze/Johnson allegation stories are cutting through. Either way I'm really happy to see support decline for them.

Have to see what happens this week...might be less about tory sleaze and more about lockdown ending in the press.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Have to see what happens this week...might be less about tory sleaze and more about lockdown ending in the press.

Potentially but the Tory sleaze story isn't goings away with the Electoral Commission investigation ongoing and more stories coming out about Johnson's spending habits. Either way now this is 3 polls in the last week that show an erosion of Tory support, which is important for those nervous Tory MPs that aren't really fond of Johnson anyway.

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Potentially but the Tory sleaze story isn't goings away with the Electoral Commission investigation ongoing and more stories coming out about Johnson's spending habits. Either way now this is 3 polls in the last week that show an erosion of Tory support, which is important for those nervous Tory MPs that aren't really fond of Johnson anyway.

be pretty funny if the electoral commission find evidence of wrong doing and get the police involved.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

be pretty funny if the electoral commission find evidence of wrong doing and get the police involved.

It would. They had to issue a statement over the weekend to say don't destroy any emails or other communications.

On 5/2/2021 at 10:22 AM, eFestivals said:

The SNP don't have much in their manefresto with details about having a ref  so it'll be difficult to claim an absolute mandate for one. 

Well, it's on pages 2,3 & 4 as well as having a 3 page section dedicated to independence & a referendum.

I don't think anyone is in any doubt that a vote for the SNP is a vote for a referendum.

Nice try though.

8 minutes ago, LJS said:

Well, it's on pages 2,3 & 4 as well as having a 3 page section dedicated to independence & a referendum.

I don't think anyone is in any doubt that a vote for the SNP is a vote for a referendum.

Nice try though.

They say they'll have one in unspecified circumstances. Anyone thinking thatsa mandate isguessing

24 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They say they'll have one in unspecified circumstances. Anyone thinking thatsa mandate isguessing

Wrong. They specify the circumstances and state that it would be "within the term of the next Scottish Parliament."

The Scottish Greens manifesto says the same.

and the Tories agree

image.png.be614b688d6d0c4dc9be72cf9a76f9e1.png

Edited by LJS

53 minutes ago, LJS said:

Nice try though.

Do they specify the circumstances and timing for the ref or are they a bit vague.

3 hours ago, LJS said:

Wrong. They specify the circumstances and state that it would be "within the term of the next Scottish Parliament."

With someothrr vagaries that make it less than an absolute. 

3 hours ago, LJS said:

The Scottish Greens manifesto says the same.

and the Tories agree

So other parties are now able to set the SNP manefesto

Nats usingweselywords as bullshit that's never happened before only everytime sturgeon opens her miouth. 

How come you credit the manefesto as an absolute commitment but not the once in a lifetime in the 2014 white paper. The SNP and their supporters are full of shit about what are commitments. Sturgeon has comitted to binning over300000 of the best jobs in Scotland and also to worse than tory austerity. 

29 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nats usingweselywords as bullshit that's never happened before only everytime sturgeon opens her miouth. 

How come you credit the manefesto as an absolute commitment

Because it is.

but not the once in a lifetime in the 2014 white paper.

Because it was never a commitment. 

The SNP and their supporters are full of shit about what are commitments.

Nope. You just keep inventing stuff. 

Sturgeon has comitted to binning over300000 of the best jobs in Scotland and also to worse than tory austerity. 

So, I have already shown you elsewhere that this is incorrect. These are what you allege would be the impacts of Scottish independence. You do know that's not the same thing as sturgeon committing to them?

Well, of course you do.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/03/keir-starmer-vows-to-clean-up-british-politics-after-tory-sleaze-rows

'Labour leader plans to link reports of corruption and cronyism to effect on ordinary people as elections near.'

I like this approach, we need to link all these stories of sleaze back to people and how the PM is spending £800 on wallpaper whilst many don't even have £800 left to spare.

2 hours ago, LJS said:

Because it is.

Something stated clearly and unequivocally is not a commitment but something saidvv aguely enough to leave wiggle room is a mandate.

2 hours ago, LJS said:

When sturgeon says she'll balance the books by freezing spending that's mwega austerity for Scotland.

2 hours ago, LJS said:

So, I have already shown you elsewhere that this is incorrect. These are what you allege would be the impacts of Scottish independence. You do know that's not the same thing as sturgeon committing to them?

Well, of course you do.

You need to better understand  the consequencesa of the growth commission ideas sturgeon she's going to follow.

😂

bloody hell. 50 years from now, whatever is left of the labour party, still blaming Corbyn.

How come Labour polled higher than the tories last year then. Did people all of a sudden around the end of November just remember how much they hated Corbyn? Looooool

10 hours ago, LJS said:

Because it is.

Well, of course you do.

You're picking sand choosing how much of a commitment sturgeons words are. What you're really saying is that she can't be trusted and neither can indy supporters 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Labour are decades from power...

So long as they bend over backwards to accommodate the liberals, they never will again. In fact they are on the fast track to ceasing to exist. Liberalism is dead as an ideology.