news & politics:discussion

zahidf

'...the monarchy has been the one institution for which the faith of the British people has never faltered. And as we’ve seen once again in recent days, the Royal family has a connection with the British people that runs as deep today as it did when Philip Mountbatten married the then Princess Elizabeth in 1947." - Keith Starmer

Fucking hell, how much more out of touch does this guy wanna be? 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

'...the monarchy has been the one institution for which the faith of the British people has never faltered. And as we’ve seen once again in recent days, the Royal family has a connection with the British people that runs as deep today as it did when Philip Mountbatten married the then Princess Elizabeth in 1947." - Keith Starmer

He'd be more out of touch by pretending the public want to dump the monarchy. 

Which means you're more out of touch than Starmer. 

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

He’s kind of forced into this though ... name me one political leader that’s stated anything different ? ... it’s not right I agree but it’s what they are all saying publically 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

He’s kind of forced into this though ... name me one political leader that’s stated anything different ? ... it’s not right I agree but it’s what they are all saying publically 

Could have phrased his sympathies in a better way though, say something more neutral yknow

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

He'd be more out of touch by pretending the public want to dump the monarchy. 

Which means you're more out of touch than Starmer. 

Never said the public wants to dump them, but I don't think people are as fond of them as Starmer wants to believe. Besides, whether i'm more out of touch than Starmer or not is irrelevant. Cry more.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, despite everything...the royals are popular. There used to be labour mps and ministers who were proudly republican, no longer.

Popular perhaps in the same way that people are interested in what the Kardashians are up to. The royals today are nothing more than glorified tabloid fodder.

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Popular perhaps in the same way that people are interested in what the Kardashians are up to. The royals today are nothing more than glorified tabloid fodder.

I agree....but would be a brave politician who said they should be scrapped. Even Corbyn didn't go there when he became labour leader. People like them. I guess it is a constant that people like...and maybe when the Queen dies that will change, who knows...expect not though.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

my only thought otherwise is if the U.K. split under the Tories watch, would that cause their support in England to collapse?

I seriously doubt it, there is a nationalist argument up here that goes when Scotland shoes how successful left-wing governments can be English voters will see that and want the same. There may be some truth in that but Scotland's government will not be doing envy-inducingly well for many years due to the disruption of independence.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Could have phrased his sympathies in a better way though, say something more neutral yknow

Never said the public wants to dump them, but I don't think people are as fond of them as Starmer wants to believe. Besides, whether i'm more out of touch than Starmer or not is irrelevant. Cry more.

Starmer nailed it and you called him out of touch for recognising what you cant. 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Scottish MSP sparks fury with Prince Philip attack 'You’re an utter embarrassment!'

SCOTTISH Greens leader Patrick Harvie sparked controversy after delivering a "disgraceful" speech during a special session of Holyrood to honour Prince Philip after his death.

The Scottish politician, whose party has long been campaigning for an elected head of state instead of the Queen, blasted Prince Philip for his love of "bloodsports" while comparing his death's announcement to daily Covid death updates. Mr Harvie faintly praised the Duke's recorded environmental commitment as he noted the prince's wealth and privilege did not affect his "mortality." The Greens MSP said: "In this chamber as in this country we do not all share the same views of the monarchy or the same feelings today. It would be wrong to pretend that we did.

"This has been a year of terrible loss, for the world, including up to 150,000 Covid deaths across the UK, most of them announced without ceremony as daily statistics.

"The toll has been heaviest on those with least. But while there is no great leveller in how we live our lives we are today reminded there is no extreme of wealth, privilege or status which can protect us from mortality.

"In this respect, every human being is indeed equal, death comes to us all and every family feels the pain of loss."

He continued: "Many have spoken about Prince Philip's environmentalism. Today's environmental movement overwhelmingly places responsibility for the global crisis on the powerful and would not seek to reconcile conservation with the bloodsports of the wealthy.

"Yet it is still the case that a debt is owed to those whose environmentalism did achieve global awareness, even if it was shaped by different values to today's."

Mr Harvie added: "It is said Prince Philip wished to modernise the monarchy and no doubt in time it will again consider if it can do so: how a royal family can keep pace with the modern democratic society it is supposed to serve and how it must show respect for the diversity of that society in its words and its deeds.

"Others will question whether it can, whether it should retain its place or not. That debate is not for today."

The Scottish Greens leader sparked the immediate fury of social media users, who slammed the politician for his "disgraceful" speech.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1422045/Scotland-news-Patrick-Harvie-MSP-Prince-Philip-death-Duke-of-Edinburgh-Holyrood-vn

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Get back to me after the revolution then you'll have the proof of Starmer being wrong 

Okaaaaay theeeeen, because that makes /perfect/ sense. If there's no revolution then that means Starmer is right? Gotcha.

I suppose I should have expected stupid arguments like this from a centrist tho. Critical thinking is clearly lacking amongst Starmer supporters

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Hm, interesting that the guardian also ran a story on malign saudi influence this evening...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/14/revealed-the-huge-british-property-empire-of-sheikh-mohammed

Edit:

Also didnt realise that Ringo Starr was the king of Dubai

2DB8F7CB-4900-4257-AB65-5F4A701E5D03.jpeg

BD32DCDF-3C94-457A-94A7-F1F87272CAF2.jpeg

Edited by mattiloy

28 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Okaaaaay theeeeen, because that makes /perfect/ sense. If there's no revolution then that means Starmer is right? Gotcha.

I suppose I should have expected stupid arguments like this from a centrist tho. Critical thinking is clearly lacking amongst Starmer supporters

I should hsve expected self anointing claims from the sort of person who cannot recognise where the thinking is of the people that he shares a country with. It takes a special skill to be so consistently wrong. 

4 hours ago, mcshed said:

More polling today which has the SNP falling short of a majority. I wouldn't say it looks like there'll be an SNP majority I would say it is right on the edge of an SNP majority and I wouldn't like to call it either way.

The Greens do also support Independence so a pro-Indy majority certainly looks likely barring something dramatic happening in the next few weeks.

Good to see the vote on the rise for the gardening Wing of the SNP ccos that means the ssuppkrt for the sex offender should be less of a national embarrassment. 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

CThe Scottish vote in the referendum was ignored by Scots in Z2014. 

incorrect

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

And 2021.

Have we had a referendum in 2021?

Shit I missed it.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Ok, but your personal opinion of the royals doesn't change the fact that it's the politically expedient for the party which is often characterized as being unpatriotic to show some kind of regard to the royals - especially given the seats Labour need to win back. 

3 minutes ago, LJS said:

incorrect

Isn't that the year that the people of Scotland willl completely ignore how the people of Scotland voted. And surely. The only wa EU had to e said by wesrmindterlsast time because Scots were lying to Scots about it. With the same liking for lies as the worst tory. Whatever happened to those cklsimds of scotland being different. 

Shit I missed it.

11 minutes ago, LJS said:

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Isn't that the year that the people of Scotland willl completely ignore how the people of Scotland voted. 

I think its more likely to be the year that the government of the United Kingdom ignores how the people of Scotland vote (again)

The formal position of the government of the United Kingdom appears to be that there will be no lawful or democratic route by which to achieve Scottish independence for an unspecified number of decades. This is irrespective of how Scotland votes in May, or at any subsequent election during this unspecified period. My principal contention in the paper published today is that should events transpire – either later this year, or in subsequent years – that make this currently rhetorical position a firm constitutional reality, then the Union as we understand it will have changed fundamentally. In effect, it would change the Union from one based on consent, to one based on the force of law. That would be the most profound transformation in the internal governance of the United Kingdom since most of Ireland left, almost exactly a century ago.

https://www.bsg.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2021-04/Scotland_Referendum_final.pdf

Edited by LJS