news & politics:discussion

zahidf

53 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Why mention it if you don't think there's anything there worth pursuing.i remember the nationalised railways and they were shit andthe system they worked under didn't work any better than the system was have now. The govt robbed investment money every time they needed money for another project.and the worker knew if they went on strike the public would hate the govt for causing the strike and the govt would cave. And normal people objected to their tax money going to those well paid strikers who were fucking their lives about.

Worker democracy>privatisation or nationalisation.

train operating co-ops ftw!

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Indeed. It looks like they’ll be an SNP majority.

The interesting thing is that they are forecast to take 68 out of 73 constituency seats, if it was run on the same basis as Westminster elections that would be a majority of 63 seats. The only thing making this look anything less than a landslide is the PR seats designed to stop a single party majority, which ironically was inserted by a Labour Government to stop Labour dominating the Scottish Parliament.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

The nice thing about being a prophet is you get to be deliberately vague. It shall simply happeneth. And so it shall be.

Indeed, cheaper, better maintained and profitable.

But wait, he’ll go on about how this isn’t germany, or france or scandinavia.

Non of those are profitable all heavily subsidised.

ecouldn’t possible have a functioning state owned rail company because... something something Corbyn. 

The nice thing about being a prophet is you get to be deliberately vague. It shall simply happeneth. And so it shall be.

Indeed, cheaper, better maintained and profitable.

But wait, he’ll go on about how this isn’t germany, or france or scandinavia

When the left haveadiet of easily disprovenlies why should anyone trust them.

. We couldn’t possible have a functioning state owned rail company because... something something too dim to check. 🥱

38 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Non of those are profitable all heavily subsidised.

I’ve just checked the accounts for 2019 (the last pre covid year, its unreasonable to quote this last year) for state owned rail operators in Sweden, Danmark, Norway, Germany and France.

France was the only one that didn’t make a profit and thats because that company, SNCF, doubles as network rail, managing the infrastructure and they had a record year for infrastructure spend.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

When the left haveadiet of easily disprovenlies why should anyone trust them.

Actually, the burden of proof is always on the left, particularly in economics, because we are constantly smeared as economically illiterate because we sit upon the great secret that You can have both economic growth and decent living and working standards all at once. That You dont have to tolerate tax dodgers and oligarchs.

As a result I find that it is usually the left that back up their arguments with stats and the other side that have nothing but rhetoric. And I have demonstrated above, it is more often the centrist who comes with the easily disproven lie. 

46 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I’ve just checked the accounts for 2019 (the last pre covid year, its unreasonable to quote this last year) for state owned rail operators in Sweden, Danmark, Norway, Germany and France.

France was the only one that didn’t make a profit and thats because that company, SNCF, doubles as network rail, managing the infrastructure and they had a record year for infrastructure spend.

Actually, the burden of proof is always on the left, particularly in economics, because we are constantly smeared as economically illiterate because we sit upon the great secret that You can have both economic growth and decent living and working standards all at once. That You dont have to tolerate tax dodgers and oligarchs.

As a result I find that it is usually the left that back up their arguments with stats and the other side that have nothing but rhetoric. And I have demonstrated above, it is more often the centrist who comes with the easily disproven lie. 

labour haven't been trusted with the economy since the late 70s...one of reasons why Blair/Brown mirrored tory economic policies just to get elected...and still tories managed to blame labour for the 2008 banking crash.

49 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

They all rely on subsidies every year. Just as British rail always did.. they operate within a more stable political commitment to them than British Rail ever had

Because you don't think upgrades are needed for the UK rail system.

Or you in this case.you don't have to be an expert on European affairs to know that the major railways are all subsidised as standard.

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Indeed. It looks like they’ll be an SNP majority.

More polling today which has the SNP falling short of a majority. I wouldn't say it looks like there'll be an SNP majority I would say it is right on the edge of an SNP majority and I wouldn't like to call it either way.

The Greens do also support Independence so a pro-Indy majority certainly looks likely barring something dramatic happening in the next few weeks.

24 minutes ago, mcshed said:

More polling today which has the SNP falling short of a majority. I wouldn't say it looks like there'll be an SNP majority I would say it is right on the edge of an SNP majority and I wouldn't like to call it either way.

The Greens do also support Independence so a pro-Indy majority certainly looks likely barring something dramatic happening in the next few weeks.

Fair play! That Tweet above is a tracker of all polls for the last month though. I get what you mean, maybe I was a bit presumptive when I said it looks like they’ll get one.

I want the Union to stay together, my only thought otherwise is if the U.K. split under the Tories watch, would that cause their support in England to collapse?

9 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Fair enough, upto a limit or would you even go upto a united states of the world?

I like the idea of it (I’m a nerd and like Star Trek 🤓) however I realise the issues it might through up so I’m not sure whether it would really work. I do believe that as a race we could achieve so much more if we stopped thinking of country versus country and worked together. The pandemic shows the importance of this especially with the climate crises growing.  

Edited by Ozanne

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So...if SNP do win this majority...but then Johnson refuses to allow a referendum....then what?!

I'then Scotland la s PQAIN IN THE ARSE BY SALMONDS PLAN WHICH IS  sure waty to lose an indy refif there's honesty about the issues that indyref will be hard to win itsike Brexit. Ote to fuck up yourife.