news & politics:discussion

zahidf

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Thing is, I genuinely find it sad that he's died.  Regardless of my thoughts on the monarchy as an institution, a 94 year old woman has lost her husband of 70+ years and that's going to be horrendous regardless of how much money you've got.  I don't believe him to have been someone that made the world a worse place by his existence, so I certainly don't take an joy in his passing.

But the blanket coverage thing was nuts. For an organisation like the BBC that's supposed to be a service to the entire population that funds it, how can it be justified that everyone is expected to feel the same way about it?

It'll still be a black and white issue that's used to batter people with in the bullshit culture war though

Yes I had this argument on Facebook with someone who was complaining about people being mean. I said that there would have been much less of a lashback if the media's response had been proportionate. On a human level I feel very sorry for any person who loses a family member but as someone who only just 2 months ago couldn't go and be their for my brothers funeral blanket coverage of who was going to the funeral and family getting together etc was not just over the top it felt frankly a little crass and cruel for those of us who haven't been able to do that and in a pandemic. It would have been sufficient to annouce it as breaking news and keave 1 tv channel and radio station to cover it. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

Yes I had this argument on Facebook with someone who was complaining about people being mean. I said that there would have been much less of a lashback if the media's response had been proportionate. On a human level I feel very sorry for any person who loses a family member but as someone who only just 2 months ago couldn't go and be their for my brothers funeral blanket coverage of who was going to the funeral and family getting together etc was not just over the top it felt frankly a little crass and cruel for those of us who haven't been able to do that and in a pandemic. It would have been sufficient to annouce it as breaking news and keave 1 tv channel and radio station to cover it. 

Yeah, I can see how much something like that must rankle when you've dealt with the shit you've had over the past few months 😞

Just now, Quark said:

Yeah, I can see how much something like that must rankle when you've dealt with the shit you've had over the past few months 😞

I'm pretty sure the Queen wasn't meeting them all in the garden either but she's 94 so I'll let that slide 😄 

The thing is as sad as it is it's literally the happiest death you could possibly hope for going in your sleep at 99 after a long and comfortable life is the dream for most. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Completely agree. For me they actually created resentment and anger when if the coverage was proportionate I would have barely given it a second thought. As it is I was just being reminded that for some reason we are supposed to believe they are better than us, more important than us and their grief matters more. Due to an accident of birth and an antiquated system. Nah.

26 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entry/starmer-shadow-cabinet-cowards_uk_6075c547e4b01e3042372820/?__twitter_impression=true

Seems like old forensic bollocks is learning the hard way about the treacherous qualities of the right wing snakes he has filled his shadow cabinet with.

3E4BB524-167A-4961-8B83-224B6CC3F1DF.jpeg

59546A73-D618-4523-B092-20DB3CD8A833.jpeg

At least he's not briefing against his own team which was the nontrecherous corbyn. McD way of displaying loyalty. 

Edited by eFestivals

Just now, Ozanne said:

Meanwhile The Tories get a free pass:

Indeed. Of all the people you'd want to be leader of the opposition at the time when the tories engage is wanton corruption, surely its an eminent barrister and yet... radio silence.

Maybe hes biding his time, building a case, 'never interrupt your enemy whilst they are making a mistake' type thing and we'll all be amazed by his forensicness in a few months time. If not and he's actually just a bit duller than everybody hyped him upto be, then labour is in a sorry spot.. and its starting to look that way.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entry/starmer-shadow-cabinet-cowards_uk_6075c547e4b01e3042372820/?__twitter_impression=true

Seems like old forensic bollocks is learning the hard way about the treacherous qualities of the right wing snakes he has filled his shadow cabinet with.

3E4BB524-167A-4961-8B83-224B6CC3F1DF.jpeg

59546A73-D618-4523-B092-20DB3CD8A833.jpeg

It’s pretty much all they do- talentless, nothing to say, no ideas- they think they’re in an episode of House of Cards or Game of Thrones. All they do is shit-ly plot and brief against whoever is the leader. In reality no one likes them, they’re not popular with anyone but their mates in the press. Occasionally they shut up for a few months, but they can’t help themselves because they have nothing else to offer, but hey, they’re mates with the media and they give them stories so they never get any scrutiny whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Meanwhile The Tories get a free pass:

Currently re-watching The Thick of It. Just watched the episode where Hugh Abbot lies to the select committee and therefor has lied to the house. And it's a big deal. It's serious. 

Seems very quaint now

35 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Indeed. Of all the people you'd want to be leader of the opposition at the time when the tories engage is wanton corruption, surely its an eminent barrister and yet... radio silence.

Maybe hes biding his time, building a case, 'never interrupt your enemy whilst they are making a mistake' type thing and we'll all be amazed by his forensicness in a few months time. If not and he's actually just a bit duller than everybody hyped him upto be, then labour is in a sorry spot.. and its starting to look that way.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/13/labour-pushes-for-mps-inquiry-to-head-off-greensill-scandal-cover-up

31 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

It’s pretty much all they do- talentless, nothing to say, no ideas- they think they’re in an episode of House of Cards or Game of Thrones.

Are you describing the cornynistas

31 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

All they do is shit-ly plot and brief against whoever is the leader. In reality no one likes them, they’re not popular with anyone but their mates in the press. Occasionally they shut up for a few months, but they can’t help themselves because they have nothing else to offer, but hey, they’re mates with the media and they give them stories so they never get any scrutiny whatsoever.

14 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Currently re-watching The Thick of It. Just watched the episode where Hugh Abbot lies to the select committee and therefor has lied to the house. And it's a big deal. It's serious. 

Seems very quaint now

Lying to the House used to mean the resignation but now it’s barely even news. How sad.