news & politics:discussion

zahidf

31 minutes ago, bamber said:

I would love to see the current guidance on what is acceptable to be played on BBC radio right now.

I suspect it is along the lines of lines of "Nothing too Irish, Punk or angry Black, mostly sad, nothing overwhelmingly cheery".

It is a fucking Joke. The crass assumption that we are all more moved by the death of a 99 year old royal Greek man than the millions of good souls lost to Covid and all those others near and dear to us is galling

I hope this is a wake up call to the many as to where this country's priorities are.

Yeah completely agree with this. 

Also who the fuck are these people who go down and stand outside the palace? Why? Honestly do not understand what connection they feel to this aristocratic family who don't know or care about them.

59 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Just listening to 6 music. “Following the death of the duke of Edinburgh we’re sounding different today” they then immediately cut to a morose Otis Reading track. 

Its 2021 FFS! Utterly embarrassing.

The fact this is over a year into a pandemic just makes it even more ridiculous 😂

5 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

No extra bank holiday for us plebs, but a few free days off for our hard working politicians?

Wonder if you can call in sick at work citing uncontrollable grief from his death? 

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah completely agree with this. 

Also who the fuck are these people who go down and stand outside the palace? Why? Honestly do not understand what connection they feel to this aristocratic family who don't know or care about them.

yeah, it's weird. The whole royal family thing is weird.

Throngs of people gathering outside of a palace, blubbing and laying wreaths for someone who couldn’t be further removed from their own lives. 

It’s dumbfounding how many people believe that they are somehow closer to an actual monarchy than they are a refugee arriving on a dinghy. 

Normal. Island. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I don’t remember any of this hysteria when the Queen mother died. She was also a royal consort, and I reckon more beloved than Philip. Am I misremembering?

The BBC weren't as terrified of the right wing press and the government back then. 

I do remember massive queues to see her lying in state, various royals standing guard etc