news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I imagine it's actually quite popular too...most people don't go on protests...and probably don't have much truck with Extinction Rebellion or Black Lives Matter.

And then there's Churchill statues to worry about.

Mm. There was a certain irony in Boris' words on the need for a nuclear deterrent to be able to 'compete with countries with opposing values', on the same day as introducing a bill which does everything to ape the values of crony capitalist police states like Russia and China.

I’m finding it increasingly impossible to find much hope in this country at the moment. It just seems like more and more shit is piled on through legislation. 

I think I am going to seriously consider my options over the next few years, with an exit plan prepared dependant on the outcome of the 2024 election.

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Pr wouldnt be the cire all some imagine ot  would be regarded as an attempt at disefracsong the part of lectoraye who he elctorateremtlulu benrgot from fptp. 

Medication strong for the ribs?

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Pr wouldnt be the cure all some imagine itbwould be regarded as an attempt at disefranchising the part of electorcate who currently Benefit from fptp. 

It would at least prevent a Tory majority from happening again.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Wasn't the best he asked for tougher sentences for rapists etc - while there is a bill going through parliament that does exactly that he voted against.  That is what will probably make it to the news.

Boris win - Starmer needs to get better.  Its not the debate - its what makes it to the news.

What makes it into the news goes deeper than what happens to be happening (or not) in politics sadly.

Thinking about the last few years and the kind of underrated calamity of labour not voting for May’s brexit deal.

May would have remained in power, Boris would never have been PM. Your Brexit wouldnt be half as shite. There is a decent chance that Corbyn would have beat May in a general election at some stage...