news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

He had actually been one of the few holding the govt to account over the pandemic .... just a ratings thing I’m sure .... happy to see him walk ... 

His work holding the tories to account over the pandemic was superb, shame his other stuff was so ****! 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Pretty ridiculous that you can get fined £1,000 for not filling in the census...

How can they fine you, if you don't fill out the census then surely you don't exist, and if you don't exist then... you get my drift (I've been drinking)

23 hours ago, gigpusher said:

It's taken a mixed race person to show my basic problem with the whole concept of a monarchical system. The Royal Family are basically slaves, incredibly privileged slaves no doubt but if you have a child you can tell them they can do or be anything but they can't they are trapped in that family. We pay for them we feel we own them. That has no place in today's society. They are people in handcuffs and the fact that those handcuffs are gold and diamond encrusted doesn't help them any. It's an institution that needs to be removed completely. 

Nah - they can walk away at any point. The issue is they would leave with nothing, and have to find jobs in order to pay rent and all this stuff that is so totally alien to them. If anything they are the slaves that stayed on after the abolition of slavery as paid workers. They'd never known anything else so carried on as they were more comfortable where they were.

19 hours ago, gizmoman said:

"They aren't allowed to vote, talk about politics" Ha! you do know it's "Her Majesty's Government"?

Yeah the Queen isn't allowed to talk about politics except for in her weekly meetings with the Prime Minister.

26 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nah - they can walk away at any point. The issue is they would leave with nothing, and have to find jobs in order to pay rent and all this stuff that is so totally alien to them. If anything they are the slaves that stayed on after the abolition of slavery as paid workers. They'd never known anything else so carried on as they were more comfortable where they were.

Yeah the Queen isn't allowed to talk about politics except for in her weekly meetings with the Prime Minister.

So Harry and Meghan could move in down the street from you and nobody would bother them at all. There would be no media or press attention. People would treat them absolutely normally and not like they are celebrities??

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

So Harry and Meghan could move in down the street from you and nobody would bother them at all. There would be no media or press attention. People would treat them absolutely normally and not like they are celebrities??

There'd be some fuss for a few months and then when it became apparent they were just going about their lives as normal it'd disappear. 

Obviously if they kept doing TV interviews and courting the media it wouldn't. But plenty of people leave the public eye on a regular basis and it's generally accepted by the press and public because they're leaving it to do something of no interest anyway.

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

There'd be some fuss for a few months and then when it became apparent they were just going about their lives as normal it'd disappear. 

Obviously if they kept doing TV interviews and courting the media it wouldn't. But plenty of people leave the public eye on a regular basis and it's generally accepted by the press and public because they're leaving it to do something of no interest anyway.

You have way more faith in the British media than I do. They'd be going through their bins for years. Just look at some of the grief that Lisa Marie Presley got after her Dad died and he wasn't even a real king. They are an outdated institution and I think they should never have existed let alone be allowed to continue this long but unless laws were brought into prevent media going after them it would still happen. I wouldn't take their lifestyle for all the money in the world. 

27 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

You have way more faith in the British media than I do. They'd be going through their bins for years. Just look at some of the grief that Lisa Marie Presley got after her Dad died and he wasn't even a real king. They are an outdated institution and I think they should never have existed let alone be allowed to continue this long but unless laws were brought into prevent media going after them it would still happen. I wouldn't take their lifestyle for all the money in the world. 

I'd like to be one of the royals that the press doesn't know or care about.

46 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I mean, there are such laws in place, the European Convention on Human Rights gives an right to privacy in Article 8. Now if you're a public figure, especially a political one (which the Royals are - they are the heads of state, regardless of where the real power lies) there are exemptions to that as you can argue it's in the public interest.

But if they give all that up, they gain those protections back. 

And even if that didn't work, they'd still then be "free" - yes, their actions would be talked about in the press, but as long they weren't doing anything criminal, it wouldn't really matter any more. Because they no longer have a requirement to keep quiet and not say anything.

90% of why people care when the royals say or do something of note is because they're not allowed to say or do anything of note.