news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Wish this country would sack off the royal family. What a bunch of tedious meffs.

Did anyone catch the Queens Consent stuff the Guardian did? https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/series/queens-consent I think there might be a better chance of getting rid of the crown once Liz dies, she's just too damn popular rn

31 minutes ago, Haan said:

Did anyone catch the Queens Consent stuff the Guardian did? https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/series/queens-consent I think there might be a better chance of getting rid of the crown once Liz dies, she's just too damn popular rn

Definitely. Feel Charles is a disaster waiting to happen tbh. The problem is William and Kate are immensely popular. The more time the monarchy gets under Charles the better for abolition.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Definitely. Feel Charles is a disaster waiting to happen tbh. The problem is William and Kate are immensely popular. The more time the monarchy gets under Charles the better for abolition.

That’s why the Queen is going to try and outlive Charles. Skip a generation 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

But to an extent the Tories will do some of that work as they're already having to explain how they've spent all this money on the COVID response and how they're going to fund all the spending in the budget yesterday. People have already been asking "how are they paying for this?" and there's been a degree of side-stepping from the Tories - "we will need tax increases in the future" but if they stick to that line it's going to mean they need to actually have tax increases in the next manifesto, which will not be popular.

Basically the next few years will be the Tories investing, without it looking like they are investing, so they can keep the "household budget" pretence going. 

I'm not sure I agree with you that they'd have to include tax rises in the manifesto if they do keep spending - I think they'd more likely just kick it into the long grass. Personally think that whether they do keep spending or rein it in will be a battleground for Johnson/Sunak, the impression I get is that Sunak would like to cut the deficit. Runs rather counter intuitively to how the public think about them.

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

prince philip died years ago they have just replaced one of his parts today with a spare one 

They’re just keeping him in stasis, they’ll wait to announce his death at a convenient moment when some other news needs burying. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

They’re just keeping him in stasis, they’ll wait to announce his death at a convenient moment when some other news needs burying. 

when they moved him to another hospital they covered him from view with loads of umbrellas to stop it being obvious it was him ... either that or they were moving his body ... 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

when they moved him to another hospital they covered him from view with loads of umbrellas to stop it being obvious it was him ... either that or they were moving his body ... 

rare photo from inside the hospital where he is staying

4B59E943-740D-483F-8F31-B8A891ED985C.thumb.jpeg.d92438d195ad4ff514ab5dab505744cf.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

BBC royal correspondent Nicolas Witchel is a horrible prick  😞 just watching him trying to undermine Meghan on BBC news ... its no wonder they left the country 

I really feel for those 2, the treatment they get is horrible. 

22 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Ouch. That’s more than a vaccine bounce. 

I'm surprised that spending most of their time and energy trying to purge the left of the party and alienate their left wing supporters, while having nothing of substance to say on nearly any of the big issues to attract new supporters, has not resulted in success

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Was just about to mention this,

"In 1988, the Duke of Edinburgh joked about deadly viruses when speaking to Deutsche Press Agentur.

Prince Philip reportedly said: “In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation.”"

But also came across this,

Prince-Philip-family-tree-2344048.jpg?r=

Turns out the Queen and Philip are related! I never knew that, he was often refered to as Phil the Greek but he's a gerry!

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I'm surprised that spending most of their time and energy trying to purge the left of the party and alienate their left wing supporters, while having nothing of substance to say on nearly any of the big issues to attract new supporters, has not resulted in success

The budget has seemed to be taken pretty well by the public too. I’d say a combination of the vaccine bounce causing people to not think about the government mistakes and the recent budget will have played a big part in this. Starmers performance in the Commons is strong so hopefully in time once we move out of the pandemic the public will start to see Johnson’s government for what it really is.

Don’t get me wrong there have been some mistakes this year by Starmer though.  

30 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The budget has seemed to be taken pretty well by the public too. I’d say a combination of the vaccine bounce causing people to not think about the government mistakes and the recent budget will have played a big part in this. Starmers performance in the Commons is strong so hopefully in time once we move out of the pandemic the public will start to see Johnson’s government for what it really is.

Don’t get me wrong there have been some mistakes this year by Starmer though.  

Felt like he had the fire back in his belly yesterday. Johnson is seemingly untouchable in this country (someone on my local estate shared a photo of their dog named after him - animal cruelty?) but destroying Sunak and showing him up for what he really is seems a good way to go.

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Felt like he had the fire back in his belly yesterday. Johnson is seemingly untouchable in this country (someone on my local estate shared a photo of their dog named after him - animal cruelty?) but destroying Sunak and showing him up for what he really is seems a good way to go.

It does seem that Johnson and essentially the Tories can do whatever they want and feel no repercussions. Hopefully the Labour strategy starts to pay off eventually.