news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

So if the way out of an economic crises is to spend, why for the best part of last decade did the Tories say we needed Austerity? This point needs to be hammered home now. 

Yeah we really need go on about how Labour was right, cuts did nothing etc. I think this is a good opportunity to bang on about how these ideas come from the left

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Who is paying for all of this 🤔 if income tax/NI/VAT isn’t changing then the cost of goods will go up. No alcohol or fuel rises either. 

The magic money tree is real. 

I read that as he is freezing the tax thresholds rather than moving them in line with inflation, we are basically all getting tax rises 

3 minutes ago, Haan said:

Yeah we really need go on about how Labour was right, cuts did nothing etc. I think this is a good opportunity to bang on about how these ideas come from the left

The labour left was right*

Brown and Darling were for austerity in 2010.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Who is paying for all of this 🤔 if income tax/NI/VAT isn’t changing then the cost of goods will go up. No alcohol or fuel rises either. 

The money coming in from income tax, NI and VAT all go up if more people are in work and down if they're not.

6 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

Did they highlight anything regarding events and insurance? 

It's the one thing many festivals were hoping they'd speak about 

Nothing that specific, just blanket stuff on the arts, museum etc

48 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

borrowing super cheap, so borrow lots, spend lots, economy grows and get more tax revenue.

QED

Nail in the coffin for our Ltd Co
No further IR35 delay - we've been within with all our contracts but partners current contract - with a large posh vehicle manufacturer - won't look at each individual case & just makes a blanket decision, plus said company making redundancies in other depts so won't take on permanent staff atm. 
So basically pay taxes as if paye employee but absolutely zero benefits - no holiday pay, no sick pay etc
Add to all that my industry, hospitality, totally on it's arse - so I'll be fighting for jobs with people half my fukcing age.
And the hits just keep on hitting ☹
I've paid my taxes for 27 years, never claimed a penny for any benefits, ever, but yet again I get screwed over.

11 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Yes you can and they are increasingly popular in the EU. We used to have freeports in the UK before the last big recession.

I know it’s petty but it annoys me when the government say a big benefit of Brexit is that we can have Freeport’s when we can and did have them as members.