Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

On 4/18/2021 at 9:13 AM, crazyfool1 said:

I just don’t get Kae tempest ... although the lyrics do seem clever ... 

Kae is a marmite artist people seem to love or hate them. I'm in the love camp and like @Zoo Music Girlhave been moved to tears many times by their performances. I have a good friend who will turn the radio off if they come on. For him it's something about the vocal style he can't get on with. We're still friends!! Funnily enough one of the few artists that I really can't stand because of the vocals is one he loves. 

18 hours ago, Homer said:

Didn't see this one coming - but I appear to be enjoying 6music's noughties day more than the 90s or 80s ones (born in 76).

I was well into this in the early part of the day. The electroclash playlist on Lauren's show was ace and MAH was great too. Really petered off by the time of Lamacq (standard).

On 4/18/2021 at 2:02 PM, priest17 said:

Kae is always brilliant but she was great fun in the hell stage in 2016(?) After doing a spoken word set in the rum shack(?), just her and her DJ mate running through some stuff she'd wrote from the album that wasn't out yet and older stuff.

Yes, I loved that set. Also, just remembering this set has made me remember my friend slipping in the mud (it was perilous down there, towards the edges) and taking down the guy who was stood next to her too. The resulting laughter started off something of a chain reaction among our group.

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

there's controversial, and there's just plain abstract. That's unjustifiable! 

White boy rap from NYC incorporating metal and easy-listening textures into their music while spitting pop-culture filled rhymes.

One gets the hipster seal of approval while the other is largely seen as enjoyable pastiche.

But I know which one I find more listenable.

36 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Once you go that far, anything goes.

Shed 7 are better than The Beatles! Jonathan King is better than Bowie! Step One by Steps is better than Pet Sounds!

Why does Pet Sounds have to fade out every bloody track? I bet Steps know how to end a song!

I really liked the 2nd Chase and Status album, No More Idols. I also love going to a gig where it's an electronic act that have a live drummer. First time I saw Chase and Status live it felt l was experiencing all that was best about live rock music and electronic music at the same time.

Going by the hurt heal competition going on just now, that is a very controversial opinion! 😞

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bit baffled by this.  What's the beef?  Exile On Main St is the GOAT album and it's fade out city.

Well, my beef (which isn't a major one at all) is that a fade out is a boring way to end a song, and always feels like a lack of emotion on the part of the composers. Historically, when all music was live, of course they had proper endings, but in the early days of recording, most performances were recorded live and then the fade was added after just to fit the constraints of the medium. These days, those limitations no longer apply, with digital editing, different formats, the artists can compose the song with a proper ending. Occasionally, the fade out (and the fade out, back in and out again) are used as an artistic choice which is cool (The end of Sir Psycho Sexy, on BSSM by RHCP is a really long slow fade towards the end of an album with a majority of proper endings), but when the act uses it on every track, that's just a lack of imagination in composition arranging.

Exile on Main St is a great example because the album was recorded mostly live with some overdubs, and I think the arrangements were pretty sketchy when they started recording. So in this case, the fade-outs do indicate a lack of focus, but given the album itself, this is actually pretty appropriate.

I honestly rarely notice and didn't even twig until now that it could be considered a plus or minus - unless the band do something flash e.g. the way the Smashing Pumpkins conclude Rocket.

Keeping it to the Stones, off the top of my head Gimme Shelter fades out but Brown Sugar ends conclusively. And I wouldn't say either approach is superior to the other.

It's a far greater musical crime to be Anthony Kiedis with a sock on your willy rapping about the demon in your semen.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I honestly rarely notice and didn't even twig until now that it could be considered a plus or minus - unless the band do something flash e.g. the way the Smashing Pumpkins conclude Rocket.

Keeping it to the Stones, off the top of my head Gimme Shelter fades out but Brown Sugar ends conclusively. And I wouldn't say either approach is superior to the other.

It's a far greater musical crime to be Anthony Kiedis with a sock on your willy rapping about the demon in your semen.

Kiedis’ crimes are great and well documented, however they are not the focus here.