Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

23 hours ago, Homer said:

Prefer Nemone to Lauren Laverne (I mean, she just played Atlantic Oceon, Waterfall FFS).

I like Nemone. She's great but she's no La La. Lauren feels like my friend chatting whereas most other DJ's sound like DJ's if you know what I mean. 

On 4/7/2021 at 1:34 PM, Homer said:

Would it be wrong to suggest that The Libertines were just a bit shit?

They really are. I often see them being touted alongside Arctic Monkeys and the Strokes as being the holy trinity of noughties indie. But they're so damn boring compared to the other two. Absolutely no catchy or memorable songs

37 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

They really are. I often see them being touted alongside Arctic Monkeys and the Strokes as being the holy trinity of noughties indie. But they're so damn boring compared to the other two. Absolutely no catchy or memorable songs

This is the first actually controversial thing in about 20 pages

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I actually think all three of those bands are as shit and dull as each other.

23 minutes ago, priest17 said:

This is the first actually controversial thing in about 20 pages

Name one. I've listened to all three albums multiple times and I can't remember a single song. No tunes, no bangers, no jams, no bops.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I actually think all three of those bands are as shit and dull as each other.

Woah easy there now, thats a bit extreme. We're not trying to start world war three in here

The Libertines were definitely a “you had to be there at the time” band to fully understand their appeal. They came along just as the indie scene was picking up with the Strokes and Stripes and they were the big British hope. As has been said before, there was a rock and roll mythology about them with the bust ups and drugs and almost poetic demeanour about all things old-Albion...

History hasn’t been the kindest to them, although I still think albums 1 and 3 stand up reasonably well (the second was dog shite even at the time).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

100% this. I feel slightly bereft when Lauren isn't in! 

Yes she has a warmth etc when talking to people that few people have. Top tip binge listening to Desert Island Discs on the weeks she's off is a good thing to do. I don't care whether I like the person or not and how good or bad their taste in music is they are always interesting

40 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Exactly this.

Simply put, she’s the best. 

Glad to have more people on Team LaLa. 

31 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes she has a warmth etc when talking to people that few people have. Top tip binge listening to Desert Island Discs on the weeks she's off is a good thing to do. I don't care whether I like the person or not and how good or bad their taste in music is they are always interesting

Glad to have more people on Team LaLa. 

Oh fully Team La La over here.

As you mentioned she has that quality of making you feel you’re listening to a mate talking rather than a DJ.

She seems to hit the right tone every day based on current affairs.

Most importantly her music selection is top notch.

I actually think Annie Mac has similar qualities, although I imagine she’s not to everybody’s taste in here. 

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

Oh fully Team La La over here.

As you mentioned she has that quality of making you feel you’re listening to a mate talking rather than a DJ.

She seems to hit the right tone every day based on current affairs.

Most importantly her music selection is top notch.

I actually think Annie Mac has similar qualities, although I imagine she’s not to everybody’s taste in here. 

I can't my finger on what it is, but I do turn off when LL is on but keep with it when Nemone is on. I think I may well be in the wrong on this one though!