Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Was just putting it in my own list but yep. Poptimism is going too far nowadays. There's a lot of trash pop music that gets too much credit because music publications pander to the masses. And a lot of clueless people who are so deep into blindly following music critics that they're bafflingly listening to music they're not arsed about against their own will, for fear of being out of touch.

Completely agree.

When I was younger music was incredibly tribal. You liked what you liked and you wouldn’t be seen dead listening to anything outside of your genre. The last decade has broken all of this down, mainly due to the rise in steaming making music instantly accessible for everyone, also the decline and then death of publications such as NME and also the fact that there’s just too much good stuff out there. I certainly listen to a much more diverse range of artists than I did when I younger.

But there are definitely people who feel the need to demonstrate how cutting edge and diverse their tastes are and will champion any old crap whilst shitting on the older stuff.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Completely agree.

When I was younger music was incredibly tribal. You liked what you liked and you wouldn’t be seen dead listening to anything outside of your genre. The last decade has broken all of this down, mainly due to the rise in steaming making music instantly accessible for everyone, also the decline and then death of publications such as NME and also the fact that there’s just too much good stuff out there. I certainly listen to a much more diverse range of artists than I did when I younger.

I see no downside.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Completely agree.

But there are definitely people who feel the need to demonstrate how cutting edge and diverse their tastes are and will champion any old crap whilst shitting on the older stuff.

Edgelords are everywhere

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Lockdown says no.

Right this minute Huey Morgan killing it.

Today he is, next week he might not be. It's all too hit and miss for me. Why sit through three or four mediocre numbers to wait for one bopper when I can stream wall-to-wall bangers with no inane chatter in between? I demand instant gratification! 😂

Pink Floyd- I don't need that plod and echo

Sex Pistols at the time were a band for 14 yr olds, just childish shite (apart from bodies), nazi punks can fuck off, sid was a murderer. At the time Joy Division were also in the poop over their nazi name too, and I love the Skids!!

There is no excuse for John Peel, it was never a good thing

Prog rock ffs.

PiL is the best band ever.

Trout Mask Replica is Beefheart's worst album, people only pretend to like it.

Jazz should only be used as a punishment. 

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Today he is, next week he might not be. It's all too hit and miss for me. Why sit through three or four mediocre numbers to wait for one bopper when I can stream wall-to-wall bangers with no inane chatter in between? I demand instant gratification! 😂

I think the sense of solidarity, community and engagement that radio fosters can't be replaced by a Spotify stream.