Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

33 minutes ago, EssexIndie said:

You've got my backup. Massive upvote - couldn't agree more. They are ridiculously consistent, I'm not sure there is a single song of theirs I would skip past. 

I was a big fan, but thought they had gone off the boil a bit. Is the new stuff decent?

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

I was a big fan, but thought they had gone off the boil a bit. Is the new stuff decent?

Very good. Big fan of their new album which came out last year. I've been a fan from day one though and seen them so many times so maybe I'm a bit biased in my views - but they seriously can't do anything wrong in my eyes! Musically they are up there with some of the best for me.  

3 minutes ago, EssexIndie said:

Very good. Big fan of their new album which came out last year. I've been a fan from day one though and seen them so many times so maybe I'm a bit biased in my views - but they seriously can't do anything wrong in my eyes! Musically they are up there with some of the best for me.  

Yeah, I've seen them live most too. Overtook Orbital and knocked them into second place. I was obvs a fan, but it was even more that they were always touring and playing!

None of their (three?) Glasto appearances really took off though for me. Never seemed to get a slot that worked for them.

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

There were hot takes a plenty, I'm fairly sure we all walked away agreeing that The Cribs are the best thing to come out of the indie 00s and continue to be the best and most consistent band this side of the millennium but I wouldn't ask anyone else to back that up.

The first Cribs album reminds me of some fantastic times.

Had just finished Uni, moved to London and met my wife. 

Wore skinny jeans, converse and checked shirts for 2 years straight until I realised I a was cliche. 

4 hours ago, Homer said:

It was 2008. Being that 2008 has got a rep for being peak indie landfill, that year's Sunday night trio on the Other stage was pretty decent: Pigeon Detectives, Zutons, then Groove Armada.

Saw them in a festival/glorified pub backyard in Buckinghamshire 2 years ago. They were pretty good, though the evening's event structure was somewhat on the surreal side. Was also very funny when my friends - who were fans and had seen them in Liverpool a few months earlier - got mocked by their singer for wearing sunglasses at night and doing shite Scouse accents.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Yeah, I really quite enjoyed it. I don't know if they really quality, but the other band that really stood up was Chapel Club.

I saw a bit of them at Reading 2011 and they were rather good. Was a little disappointed they didn't last.

11 hours ago, Mellotr0n said:

U2 and Coldplay have done some actually-alright albums - U2s weird period (Achtung, Zooropa, Pop) and Coldplay's debut (Parachutes) are all genuinely interesting/decent pieces of work.

I think U2 have gotten a hard rep musically because they seemed to lose faith in their weird side after Pop, which had a very troubled production, and a lot of the stuff since has played it safe. There's a few decent tunes dotted around, but not as good as the earlier decades.

I would also say Pop doesn't get enough love, and that includes from U2 themselves.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I think U2 have gotten a hard rep musically because they seemed to lose faith in their weird side after Pop, which had a very troubled production, and a lot of the stuff since has played it safe. There's a few decent tunes dotted around, but not as good as the earlier decades.

I would also say Pop doesn't get enough love, and that includes from U2 themselves.

They get a hard rep because Bono’s a colossal bellend.

This isn’t a particularly controversial take, but it’s good to be reminded...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

Saw them in a festival/glorified pub backyard in Buckinghamshire 2 years ago. They were pretty good, though the evening's event structure was somewhat on the surreal side. Was also very funny when my friends - who were fans and had seen them in Liverpool a few months earlier - got mocked by their singer for wearing sunglasses at night and doing shite Scouse accents.

I saw a bit of them at Reading 2011 and they were rather good. Was a little disappointed they didn't last.

Was really sad what happened to them. They were fucking ace on the Pyramid in 2005, I still love their debut. Apparently the record company pressured them into releasing the third album too quickly, it was terrible and the band imploded.

They had so much more in them.

50 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Was really sad what happened to them. They were fucking ace on the Pyramid in 2005, I still love their debut. Apparently the record company pressured them into releasing the third album too quickly, it was terrible and the band imploded.

They had so much more in them.

Gutted to hear they were good then. After the monsoon I decided Stewart Lee in the comedy tent might be a better bet.!I now find out I made the wrong choice! 🙄

I quite like good covers bands - especially when the original band is no more or not touring.  It's the only way you can get close to the live experience.  Examples would include the Classic Rock Show, Brit Floyd and Limehouse Lizzy.