Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

26 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

It was just before lockdown as I went to a gig there last Feb (feels like a lifetime ago)

Always seemed to have good numbers in there on weekends so don't see it at risk of closing

I used to go there when I was at uni in Manchester 20 years ago! It was a staple along with 5th Avenue, 42nd Street and the Mutts Nuts (which was just off Canal St and hasn’t existed for years now I believe).

Most Saturday nights in my 20’s were spent in the Star and Garter round the back of Piccadilly.

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I used to go there when I was at uni in Manchester 20 years ago! It was a staple along with 5th Avenue, 42nd Street and the Mutts Nuts (which was just off Canal St and hasn’t existed for years now I believe).

Most Saturday nights in my 20’s were spent in the Star and Garter round the back of Piccadilly.

I've been to a pub called Monroes (I think) a couple of times after seeing Arsenal play in Manchester whilst waiting for our train back down south.  

38 minutes ago, Homer said:

I got to the point of lockdown the other week that I got bored enough to make an indie landfill playlist. Anyway, it turns out I still like The Pigeon Detectives.

I saw them in 2008 I think. Maybe 2009. 

Had a great time. 

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I saw them in 2008 I think. Maybe 2009. 

Had a great time. 

It was 2008. Being that 2008 has got a rep for being peak indie landfill, that year's Sunday night trio on the Other stage was pretty decent: Pigeon Detectives, Zutons, then Groove Armada.

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

It was 2008. Being that 2008 has got a rep for being peak indie landfill, that year's Sunday night trio on the Other stage was pretty decent: Pigeon Detectives, Zutons, then Groove Armada.

Yep I remember it now. Watched all three and had a good singalong/dance. 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I got to the point of lockdown the other week that I got bored enough to make an indie landfill playlist. Anyway, it turns out I still like The Pigeon Detectives.

Indie landfill is something I have such a love/hate relationship with but something that brings a nostalgic smile to my face, whether I like the band/song or not. I was there for it all and it’s fun to reminisce sometimes. 

Edited by Andre91

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Indie landfill is something I have such a love/hate relationship with but something that brings a nostalgic smile to my face, whether I like the band/song or not. I was there for it all and it’s fun to reminisce sometimes. 

Yeah, I really quite enjoyed it. I don't know if they really quality, but the other band that really stood up was Chapel Club.

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, I really quite enjoyed it. I don't know if they really quality, but the other band that really stood up was Chapel Club.

These were great but were they really landfill indie? I went and saw them when I was in Uni and it seemed like the true age of landfill indie was over by that point.

I appreciate we all had this argument a few months ago when vice released an article about it to be fair.

10 minutes ago, priest17 said:

These were great but were they really landfill indie? I went and saw them when I was in Uni and it seemed like the true age of landfill indie was over by that point.

I appreciate we all had this argument a few months ago when vice released an article about it to be fair.

Yeah, I might have been a bit unfair there. Though I always thought they sounded like a cross between Gene and Editors.

Damn, I missed out on that argument!

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, I might have been a bit unfair there. Though I always thought they sounded like a cross between Gene and Editors.

Damn, I missed out on that argument!

There were hot takes a plenty, I'm fairly sure we all walked away agreeing that The Cribs are the best thing to come out of the indie 00s and continue to be the best and most consistent band this side of the millennium but I wouldn't ask anyone else to back that up.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, priest17 said:

There were hot takes a plenty, I'm fairly sure we all walked away agreeing that The Cribs are the best thing to come out of the indie 00s and continue to be the best and most consistent band this side of the millennium but I wouldn't ask anyone else to back that up.

You've got my backup. Massive upvote - couldn't agree more. They are ridiculously consistent, I'm not sure there is a single song of theirs I would skip past.