Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

26 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

The trouble with many of the Pyramid headline sets are there are too many people who watch bands they’re not a fan of ‘just to say they’ve seen them’.

This has always been a mystery to me.

I disagree with this. I enjoy seeing acts at Glastonbury that I wouldn’t necessarily pay to see. I can watch a generic indie band in any academy up and down the country, but realistically I’m almost certainly not going to pay to see Dolly Parton or Lionel Richie anywhere else.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I disagree with this. I enjoy seeing acts at Glastonbury that I wouldn’t necessarily pay to see. I can watch a generic indie band in any academy up and down the country, but realistically I’m almost certainly not going to pay to see Dolly Parton or Lionel Richie anywhere else.

There’s a world of difference between going to watch a band at a festival who you wouldn’t necessarily pay to see and going to watch a band you’re not into ‘just to say I’ve seen them’

Im more talking about the massive legends who people feel they ‘should’ watch as they are so big and are huge stars.

I suppose it’s all down to the individual but personally I’ve never seen anyone on the legends slot and have been miles away from the pyramid when the likes of Ed Sheeran, Adele, Coldplay were playing.

If I had managed to get tickets for this year I wouldn’t have watched Taylor Swift, McCartney or Kendrick Lamar either.

Also, I not really sure who I’d ‘say that I’ve seen them’ to.

Most of my friends would have asked why I watched someone I’m not into and I’d be too embarrassed to say that I watched them so I can tell people like them, haha.

19 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

There’s a world of difference between going to watch a band at a festival who you wouldn’t necessarily pay to see and going to watch a band you’re not into ‘just to say I’ve seen them’

It’s entirely up to the individual how they choose to spend their festival, their reasons for seeing acts are their own.

I’ve been to see acts I may not have been into for any number of reasons. Sometimes I’ve wanted to see what the fuss was about and whether they could win me over live, sometimes I’ve been because I’ve read good things on here or from friends, sometimes I’ve been with people who have wanted to see them. Sometimes I just couldn’t be arsed to move...

10 hours ago, SheffJeff said:

I always liked the semi famous Lennon response when asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world:- 'Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the beatles.'  Found out this morning that he didn't even fucking say it. It was all a lie. I'm irrationally annoyed by this.

Oof that hits hard, I also thought that was a real quote.

51 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s entirely up to the individual how they choose to spend their festival, their reasons for seeing acts are their own.

I’ve been to see acts I may not have been into for any number of reasons. Sometimes I’ve wanted to see what the fuss was about and whether they could win me over live, sometimes I’ve been because I’ve read good things on here or from friends, sometimes I’ve been with people who have wanted to see them. Sometimes I just couldn’t be arsed to move...

Yes, of course it’s up to the individual how they spend their festival. It’s just that this is a thread for controversial music opinions and that’s mine.

11 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I thought he did a deliberately half arsed version to take the piss out of Gallagher re his comments about hip hop pre festival. It didn't seem much of an homage on the night. Just a bit of millionaire bants. 

Nah, his ego's too big to do a deliberately bad version on a massive night. Also, loads of people seemed to love it, hence my 'controversial opinion'.

Amy Winehouse was nowhere near as talented as people think she was.

Bruce Springsteen was cheesy and naff 40 years ago, and he still is. His continued popularity is utterly baffling.

Beyoncé is by far the most overrated Glastonbury headline performance.

7 hours ago, Smeble said:

Amy Winehouse was nowhere near as talented as people think she was.

Bruce Springsteen was cheesy and naff 40 years ago, and he still is. His continued popularity is utterly baffling.

Beyoncé is by far the most overrated Glastonbury headline performance.

If she didn’t take heroin her career trajectory would have followed the likes of Dido or Duffy.