Jump to content

Your most controversial music opinions


CaledonianGonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My controversial punk take is that punk music may have sounded impressive in context, but - with some exceptions - there's no call to be listening to it 45 years on.

Horses for courses and all but that statement coming from a champion of disco music is flabbergasting.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Racists and homophobes were building bonfires of disco records whilst punks were swanning around wearing swastikas.  It's a bold man who throws their lot in with the latter.

Some punks went on to make disco (Blondie, Talking Heads).

Some punks threw their hat in with reggae (The Clash, SLF).

Some punks were racist scum.

Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Racists and homophobes were building bonfires of disco records whilst punks were swanning around wearing swastikas.  It's a bold man who throws their lot in with the latter.

I'm surprised disco music caused that much of a stir to be honest, it's a lame duck of a genre. The rest of your example is some solid bait, I'll give you that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Punk was born out of people who couldn't play instruments picking them up and fucking doing something. The DIY scene it created went on to have a massive impact on the dance and rave scene. Imagine being talented and deciding to play... Disco? Better than dressing up as a wizard and doing a 10 minute keyboard solo to be fair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My cousin seemed to swear by this SLF album:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Now_Then...

However, from a 2021 perspective the title alone is a red flag.

All sounds a bit too polished really but there are some decent tracks on it, they still do Listen though it sounds better live. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, priest17 said:

I'm surprised disco music caused that much of a stir to be honest, it's a lame duck of a genre. The rest of your example is some solid bait, I'll give you that. 

It's still going strong though and - as progenitor of house,techno and hip hop - it's unarguably part of the lineage of African-American music that continues to shape both the current and most forward-looking ways of making music.

Punk gave us Idles.

 

Although I do tip my hat to any punk fans who made it through Idles' bit of Live On Worthy Farm without spontaneously combusting out of embarrassment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's still going strong though and - as progenitor of house, techno and hip hop - it's unarguably part of the lineage of African-American music that continues to shape both the current and most forward-looking ways of making music.

Punk gave us Idles.

 

Although I do tip my hat to any punk fans who made it through Idles' bit of Live On Worthy Farm without spontaneously combusting out of embarrassment.

You say this like it's a good thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

@CaledonianGonzo and @priest17 you are both wrong.

Both punk and disco are great and revolutionary in their own ways.

I hope one day you both broaden your horizons and realise this as the world will be a more magical place 

No.  I said there were exceptions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No problem with people slagging off a musical genre they don't like. But I don't like the inference that all punks were walking around wearing swastikas. None of the punk kids that I hung around with would have dreamed of it and would have got a slap if they had. We didn't all grow up to be Gary Bushell!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...