Jump to content

Your most controversial music opinions


CaledonianGonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

 

My theory has long been that 3rd albums are the breaking point.

Album one - all the good stuff you've written as you plied your trade in clubs and basements.

Album two - Some stuff you've written on the road while touring the first one plus a few decent songs written years ago that didn't make the cut for the first one.

Album three - you're too successful, too full of drugs and everyone is telling you how great you are. Result is a shit album.

From them on it's make or break, get your act together and make something a bit different from the last one or continue throwing out shite.

I think with the 3rd one you can throw in the pressure to change your sound as well. Consensus seems to be that a band should break new ground for themselves on the 3rd album rather than just more of the same. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I like this a lot. Nice theory. Will no doubt pass it off as my own next time we're down the boozer talking about music. Thanks Gnomi.

I'm full of them, if you ever want shit views on football, tv or crocs, I'm your man.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Clarence Clemons said:

This IS my 'glastonbury regret'

Mine also involves the Flaming Lips. Regret giving the Gorillaz so long when I wasn't really enjoying it in 2010. Eventually abandoned Gorillaz and caught the last 2 songs of Flaming Lips which seemed awesome, wish I'd seen more of their set and less of Gorillaz.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Brand New’s final album was their magnum opus. 

I absolutely love that album. If it weren’t for what came after I think it’d be looked at as a truly incredible final album, but unfortunately instead it’s to be constantly ignored in the conversation. Ah well, I still listen to it often and am still blown away by how good it is.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2021 at 7:10 PM, Mardy said:

Yeah, there are obviously some really massive exceptions, but I reckon for a good 90% of acts, their first album is the essential one. Diminishing returns after that. Like I say, not true in all cases, but definitely in the overwhelming majority. And hardly anybody's 5th album is the one. Can only think of a handful of people like that.

Neil Young's fifth album was "On The Beach"

His best.

"An Ambulance can only go so fast."

 

Edited by bamber
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it controversial to say that when an album is released... it shouldn't be touched? Whether thats Spiritualized finally getting their Elvis Presley bits on Ladies and Gentlemen, Grohl talking about the cover of Nevermind, or Kanye chopping and changing his albums every half an hour. By all mean chuck out remasters and bonus versions, but the album is the album. At least Martin the young has had the decency to keep the new Let it Be in spirit to the Spector original.

Same for reviews as well... looking at you P4K, rewriting history man - piss off!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Same for reviews as well... looking at you P4K, rewriting history man - piss off!

I know Pitchfork is essentially just a meme these days, but some of those down/upgrades to scores are hilarious. Grimes getting downgraded just a year after the initial review. Interpol downgraded essentially because they’re no longer cool. And basically just a whole lot of ‘Yeah old Pitchfork writers were fucking arseholes’.

Glad to see they didn’t revise the monkey pissing in its own mouth review for Jet, though. A classic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Interpol downgraded essentially because they’re no longer cool.

The most controversial opinion in 104 pages on this thread is the idea that at some point in time, Interpol were cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 12:47 PM, Gnomicide said:

 

My theory has long been that 3rd albums are the breaking point.

Album one - all the good stuff you've written as you plied your trade in clubs and basements.

Album two - Some stuff you've written on the road while touring the first one plus a few decent songs written years ago that didn't make the cut for the first one.

Album three - you're too successful, too full of drugs and everyone is telling you how great you are. Result is a shit album.

From them on it's make or break, get your act together and make something a bit different from the last one or continue throwing out shite.

It's the only essential one. If they'd cut the UYI albums down to at least one double, preferably a single album, they could have had another classic on their hands.

Love the theory, and it definitely works for many band, looking at you Arctic Monkeys!

Doesn't work, in my opinion, for my favourite band The Jam, albums  3 and 4 are far better than 1 and 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Boomtowner said:

Love the theory, and it definitely works for many band, looking at you Arctic Monkeys!

Doesn't work, in my opinion, for my favourite band The Jam, albums  3 and 4 are far better than 1 and 2.

I'd say the Monkeys are one of the poorest examples. Humbug may have been polarising (I love it) but it's definitely a departure from what came before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd say the Monkeys are one of the poorest examples. Humbug may have been polarising (I love it) but it's definitely a departure from what came before.

As you say, polarising. Loved every song off the first album. It's between them and Stone Roses for the best debut album of all time. I don't think there's a single song from Humbug that I actually like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I know Pitchfork is essentially just a meme these days, but some of those down/upgrades to scores are hilarious. Grimes getting downgraded just a year after the initial review. Interpol downgraded essentially because they’re no longer cool. And basically just a whole lot of ‘Yeah old Pitchfork writers were fucking arseholes’.

Glad to see they didn’t revise the monkey pissing in its own mouth review for Jet, though. A classic.

They should have gone and done justice to the Black Kids’ debut album. Pretty much ended a good, young band’s career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Yes, All Mod Cons was a considerable step on from those first two.

It is, and continued with Setting Sons, even now after over 40 years of listening to them both I can't decide which of them is my favourite Jam album. My elder brother always had them blaring from his little box room. It's the music of my childhood, Dig the New Breed was my first ever vinyl purchase, when I was a kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

As you say, polarising. Loved every song off the first album. It's between them and Stone Roses for the best debut album of all time. I don't think there's a single song from Humbug that I actually like.

I am literally Crying Lightning 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...