Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

8 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Yeah, was just about to post the same thing. In fairness to him, the original quote was from 2009 and he's since said "my political views have changed massively since then".

I do think he's very much an artist from a very privileged background that can come across as being very w*nky, bit like Damon Albarn. That being said I've seen him loads and most likely will do at Bearded Theory this year. 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

You've changed 😄

We were over in Alfriston the other week, couple of very nice pubs down there. Seven Sisters / Seaford is always nice, but unfortunately didn't have time to make it over to check out the long man.

Given the state most threads end up in when they go off-topic, I think this is just fine!

The Plough and Harrow in Litlington is my favourite country boozer round there. Very recommended. Tbf i have a lot of favourite country pubs!  The Long Man is a great wander, he's about a 90 min hike from my flat. its a fair old way up, but the views are worth the slog . . . i've done a couple of charity marathons from Brighton racecourse to Eastbourne seafront the last couple of years for MacMillan, theyre excellently organised if you like that sort of thing! 

7 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

The Plough and Harrow in Litlington is my favourite country boozer round there. Very recommended. Tbf i have a lot of favourite country pubs!  The Long Man is a great wander, he's about a 90 min hike from my flat. its a fair old way up, but the views are worth the slog . . . i've done a couple of charity marathons from Brighton racecourse to Eastbourne seafront the last couple of years for MacMillan, theyre excellently organised if you like that sort of thing! 

That's where we ended up, walked over the river from the hotel in Alfriston for dinner and a nice bimble back. Food was bloody lovely, beer was decent and the pub was full of dogs. Really friendly place, right up my street.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Fuck deep cuts, every band’s best album is their best of compilation. Wall to wall hits, with no album filler tracks - provided the band is good enough in the first place, and if they’re not why do they have a best of? 
People who say they like the deep cuts and obscure tracks are just music snobs who are showing off. 

13 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Fuck deep cuts, every band’s best album is their best of compilation. Wall to wall hits, with no album filler tracks - provided the band is good enough in the first place, and if they’re not why do they have a best of? 
People who say they like the deep cuts and obscure tracks are just music snobs who are showing off. 

Not sure how controversial that is based on the reaction to the first hour of McCartneys set this year... think there's alot more Alan's out there than you think.

DlJTabbXoAARTK-.jpg.0d3b33a94ddb8b6fc2a47ae31b1999d5.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Whoops despite my best efforts to drop all music snobbery of the past I would say with almost any band or artist that I truly adore my favourite track ends up being an album track. I genuinely don't think I'm showing off though because it's actually really annoying when you have a favourite band who never really end up playing your favourite song. 

Although as I get older it happens less and less but I think that is down to just not listening to any one album as long as I used to in my teenage years. 

9 minutes ago, moogster said:

Am wondering if anyone her finds the Beatles overrated. As in I understand their importance in the history of (British) music, great songwriting but... Maybe a little too much on a pedestal?

Totally agree.

Great for the time, but there are loads of better bands and better tunes since. Okay maybe those bands/songs would never have happened without the Beatles.

As for "Maybe a little too much on a pedestal" definitely, you're not allowed to say anything negative about them.

43 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Whoops despite my best efforts to drop all music snobbery of the past I would say with almost any band or artist that I truly adore my favourite track ends up being an album track. I genuinely don't think I'm showing off though because it's actually really annoying when you have a favourite band who never really end up playing your favourite song. 

Although as I get older it happens less and less but I think that is down to just not listening to any one album as long as I used to in my teenage years. 

I’m the same, I was just being abrasive. 
Thinking of full albums I’ve listened to recently and which track has been my favourite the one that immediately springs to mind is Wet Dream from Wet Leg, which isn’t the biggest hit, albeit it was still a single. 

Anyway, I was just being abrasive for the sake of it! 😬 

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Totally agree.

Great for the time, but there are loads of better bands and better tunes since. Okay maybe those bands/songs would never have happened without the Beatles.

As for "Maybe a little too much on a pedestal" definitely, you're not allowed to say anything negative about them.

I was slightly scared of getting downvoted on that one I have to say.

42 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I’m the same, I was just being abrasive. 
Thinking of full albums I’ve listened to recently and which track has been my favourite the one that immediately springs to mind is Wet Dream from Wet Leg, which isn’t the biggest hit, albeit it was still a single. 

Anyway, I was just being abrasive for the sake of it! 😬 

Yep I prefer that one as well albeit it is still a single. As I said as I get older and we have access to more and more music I do find often it's the singles I am most drawn to which begs the question how much will and has streaming already changed music. Could it be the reason we find it harder to pick bands we want to headline?

There's a lot to be said for spending your entire pocket money on an album and listening to it until you damn well liked it because you weren't going to be able to buy another one for a long time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moogster said:

Am wondering if anyone her finds the Beatles overrated. As in I understand their importance in the history of (British) music, great songwriting but... Maybe a little too much on a pedestal?

I've long thought (and may have even posted it in this thread or a previous version) that the best version of nearly every Beatles song is a cover by someone else.

5 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Yeah but some of Taylor Swifts deep cuts are miles ahead of her most popular work. Some artists have good singles but it doesn’t scratch the surface of what they can do musically.