Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

No need to apologise when self-owning, my guy. Along with West Holts, El Pointo is the best curated stage at the fest. 

Sure you get broad crowd-pleasing fluff like Liam Gallagher, but in 2019 the likes of Mavis Staples, The Proclaimers, Miley Cyrus, Sheryl Crow and Vampire Weekend all brought the good times.  And even if neither ultimately triumphed in the moment, both Ms Lauryn Hill and Janet Jackson were still legit great bookings.

2 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Just a joke, don’t read too much in to it 🙂

Saying that though, I’m not a massive Coldplay fan and I’ve probably only properly listened to 2 or 3 of their previous albums.

MOTS came out when I had time on my hands and had challenged myself to listen to and rank every new album that came out that month (Oct 21) regardless of who the artist was. It was abominable, bottom 10%.

An earlier decision by Coldplay would’ve spared me the pain 😉

I’ll always maintain that the first three albums, especially Rush Of Blood, are good.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, RyanForThewin said:

The Cure at Glasto '19 were boring AF.

I found it boring too, though I didn't really expect to enjoy it either. Only really like 2 or 3 of their songs and went to keep my girlfriend happy. Annoyingly she also found it boring AF. Wouldn't have minded sacrificing a headliner if it had given her some amazing happy memories, but just felt a waste when she didn't even enjoy it. If I remember right Christene and the Queens and Janelle Monae both headlined that night and I'm sure I would have loved either of their sets

23 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

New albums by bands that have been going over 20 years very very rarely are anything other than shite and Coldplay have the right idea about stopping writing new music.

It's probably the first and only time I have agreed with Coldplay. I need a lie down

I don't know. Last year James and Modest Mouse had 2 of my favourite albums and both have been going for far longer than 20 years.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She's a Cure fan but didn't fuck with punchy, note-perfect versions of GOAT bangers like Just Like Heaven and In Between Days?

She likes the Cure, but she's not a massive obsessive fan. She would have grown up with her brother and sister playing them a lot so think it was more a nostalgia thing for her that didn't live up to her memories.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No need to apologise when self-owning, my guy. Along with West Holts, El Pointo is the best curated stage at the fest. 

Sure you get broad crowd-pleasing fluff like Liam Gallagher, but in 2019 the likes of Mavis Staples, The Proclaimers, Miley Cyrus, Sheryl Crow and Vampire Weekend all brought the good times.  And even if neither ultimately triumphed in the moment, both Ms Lauryn Hill and Janet Jackson were still legit great bookings.

Mavis was brilliant. One of the things I was most looking forward to that year and she completely lived up to my expectations.

22 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I found it boring too, though I didn't really expect to enjoy it either. Only really like 2 or 3 of their songs and went to keep my girlfriend happy. Annoyingly she also found it boring AF. Wouldn't have minded sacrificing a headliner if it had given her some amazing happy memories, but just felt a waste when she didn't even enjoy it. If I remember right Christene and the Queens and Janelle Monae both headlined that night and I'm sure I would have loved either of their sets

I was at Janelle Monae. I didnt know that much about her before she was announced and liked the videos I'd seen whilst looking her up.

She was amazing tbh. Loved her. It's a shame the field wasn't packed, but those there had an absolute treat.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I was at Janelle Monae. I didnt know that much about her before she was announced and liked the videos I'd seen whilst looking her up.

She was amazing tbh. Loved her. It's a shame the field wasn't packed, but those there had an absolute treat.

This was a great set, really loved it. Also managed to dash over, easily to the front of Pyramid for last couple of Cure songs.

I just thought of one that I’d be too ashamed to bring up to most people.

The Hoosiers are garbage but…

The song Choices by The Hoosiers is an absolute masterpiece of a pop song.

I listen to it now and then on a loop when I need to get a load of work done. A jolly, up tempo banger of a work song.

On 2/11/2022 at 2:31 PM, Kinkyinuit said:

I've been racking my brains to find exceptions and I'm struggling.  I'm sure there's some out there and am looking forward to them being pointed out to me though!  - I'll check out Dinosaur Jr's album next thanks @Punksnotdead

The National have been maturing like a fine wine since 1999.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1