Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

Queen could've headlined Glastonbury three times over without repeating a single track. If only they hadn't played Sun City/died.

Bowie could have done it again with no repeats and probably McCartney (though he won't (do it with no repeats that is, reckon there'd be a riot with no Hey Jude for example)).

13 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

New albums by bands that have been going over 20 years very very rarely are anything other than shite and Coldplay have the right idea about stopping writing new music.

It's probably the first and only time I have agreed with Coldplay. I need a lie down

If you are lucky enough to be able to appreciate Tom Waits you would know this is not true

54 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

New albums by bands that have been going over 20 years very very rarely are anything other than shite and Coldplay have the right idea about stopping writing new music.

It's probably the first and only time I have agreed with Coldplay. I need a lie down

Hard agree. The biggest culprits are U2. Going from Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby to the shitty theme song from Sing 2 is deplorable.

And when the new album comes out, it is always declared a 'return to form' then a year later no one listens to it. And then the next one is called a 'return to form'.

1 hour ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

If you are lucky enough to be able to appreciate Tom Waits you would know this is not true

Solo artists seem to do a bit better, probably because they vary their collaborators.  I can think of several* decent records made by solo artists made over 20 years in, but nothing** by bands 15 years after they started.

* Ok, not that many.  Damon's latest+ Blackstar
** Actually, I still like Radiohead, not that they seem in a rush to release another album. 

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Solo artists seem to do a bit better, probably because they vary their collaborators.  I can think of several* decent records made by solo artists made over 20 years in, but nothing** by bands 15 years after they started.

* Ok, not that many.  Damon's latest+ Blackstar
** Actually, I still like Radiohead, not that they seem in a rush to release another album. 

Dinosaur Jr released their best album in 30 years last year.

2 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

This is a good shout. Naturally there will be exceptions but even those I can think of as being decent are generally not a patch on stuff from early in their career. 

6 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

This is a good shout. Naturally there will be exceptions but even those I can think of as being decent are generally not a patch on stuff from early in their career. 

I've been racking my brains to find exceptions and I'm struggling.  I'm sure there's some out there and am looking forward to them being pointed out to me though!  - I'll check out Dinosaur Jr's album next thanks @Punksnotdead

I don't even think it's a case of nostalgia for their earlier work.  After a certain point bands run out of things to say and song ideas, plus they are no longer starving artists who need the album to be a success

3 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Hard agree. The biggest culprits are U2. Going from Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby to the shitty theme song from Sing 2 is deplorable.

And when the new album comes out, it is always declared a 'return to form' then a year later no one listens to it. And then the next one is called a 'return to form'.

Oasis were the worst. Every album since Morning Glory has been hailed as the new Morning Glory.

7 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Wish Coldplay had made that decision 1 album earlier.

6 hours ago, maelzoid said:

This is odd to me.... You liked the previous 8 albums, but MOTS is where they went too far...?

Just a joke, don’t read too much in to it 🙂

Saying that though, I’m not a massive Coldplay fan and I’ve probably only properly listened to 2 or 3 of their previous albums.

MOTS came out when I had time on my hands and had challenged myself to listen to and rank every new album that came out that month (Oct 21) regardless of who the artist was. It was abominable, bottom 10%.

An earlier decision by Coldplay would’ve spared me the pain 😉

Edited by John the Moth