Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

Maybe it’s because I wasn’t around at the time and so am not familiar with how he presented himself in interviews and in person etc, but Malek’s Mercury came off as a parody to me and I can’t believe he won the Oscar for it. Like somebody’s shit costume at a Halloween party doing a half arsed impression to anybody that would listen. 

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It won five Oscars, including Best Picture.

4 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

did it? Fuckme sideways. thats baffling. 

That was my reaction too so double checked. 

Didn't win best picture (Green Book, another bad film) and other than best actor the other 3 were all the technical ones, editing, mixing and such

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

That was my reaction too so double checked. 

Didn't win best picture (Green Book, another bad film) and other than best actor the other 3 were all the technical ones, editing, mixing and such

You're right, I misread, it was nominated for best picture.

Point is that it was very highly rated at the time, critics went mad for it.

15 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

This is fascinating:

Meh, this guy focuses on one unmemorable scene outside a pub. He quickly glosses over the live aid concert and musical numbers which he concedes are better edited and suspects all the talking scenes have fanatical editing to match these scenes.

Academy voters are not going to remember the scene where the band hires a manager, they are going to remember the musical numbers and the live aid concert which is why it won

Couldn't someone just as easily make a video showing this same scene and say Malek doesn't deserve to win best actor here and gloss over all the scenes in the film where his acting abilities are more on display?

11 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Maybe it’s because I wasn’t around at the time and so am not familiar with how he presented himself in interviews and in person etc, but Malek’s Mercury came off as a parody to me and I can’t believe he won the Oscar for it. Like somebody’s shit costume at a Halloween party doing a half arsed impression to anybody that would listen. 

That bit where he’s walking out of the hospital and that kid does the ‘hey-oh’ and Freddie says it back like Brian Badonde is one of the most hilarious and shit things I’ve ever seen. 

My most contovertial opinions....

1. I absolutely hate "In my life" by the Beatles. Fake senrimentality never sits well with me.  I'd rather rip my ears off than listen to that again.

2. "Who do you think you are?" by the Spice Girls is an absolute cast iron Banger.

3. Joni Mitchell - Shite. Glad she's off spotify.

4. The Style Council > The Jam

5. "From a distance" - The Worst Song of all time.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

20 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

came off as a parody to me and I can’t believe he won the Oscar for it. Like somebody’s shit costume at a Halloween party doing a half arsed impression to anybody that would listen. 

Sounds like a pretty accurate Freddie to me then. 

controversial music opinion: Queen (especially Freddie) are the most overrated & cringe band of all time

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My most contovertial opinions....

1. I absolutely hate "In my life" by the Beatles. Fake senrimentality never sits well with me.  I'd rather rip my ears off than listen to that again.

2. "Who do you think you are?" by the Spice Girls is an absolute cast iron Banger.

3. Joni Mitchell - Shite. Glad she's off spotify.

4. The Style Council > The Jam

5. "From a distance" - The Worst Song of all time.

1. It's good to see you back

2. Completely agree with number 4

22 hours ago, maelzoid said:

A lot of the facts were massaged to make the film more dramatic. As someone familiar with the actual timeline, I found this jarring. Especially the bit where they wrote We Will Rock You five years after they recorded and released it.

But it very much is an official product.

Talking of product, anyone else ever been to the Queen shop in Carnaby street - a whole shop dedicated to just Queen merch, which shows how popular they still are and what a going financial concern the brand is. A lot of tat, but their vinyl selection was pitiful.

Watched a documentary on the BBC a couple of weeks ago about the Freddie tribute concert, was a really interesting watch.

But what I’ve noticed down the years is that May and Taylor (and don’t get me wrong, they’ve done a lot of great charity work down the years) really, really, REALLY love patting themselves on the back.