Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

Not so much an opinion as an overlooked fact, but when people give it to current artists about lacking integrity by reinventing their image to get successful and famous (a la Raggy Bone Chap) they tend to ignore the fact that this is exactly what Bowie did. All about changing himself to get fame and success. Like an industry hoor.

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What's Atom Heart Mother like?

Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast aside, I've genuinely never heard it.

Brilliant.  I saw it first performed live at the Shepton Mallet Festival in 1970.  Blew me away. Fat Old Sun is a great track, particularly Gilmour's second half guitar solo.

Edited by grumpyhack

I've got loads of these but the main ones:

Coldplay 2016 is my favourite live show ever. Not for 100% musical reasons but it was special for many reasons, and a spectacular night. 

- I really enjoyed U2 in 2011, first time seeing them and thought the atmosphere was really good with big singalongs. Yes it was raining but not their fault. Not as good as seeing them in Singapore on their Joshua Tree tour at the end of 2019

- Stereophonics have quietly released some of their best music in the past few years, certainly their best since the first two albums. The two horrible ones after those were not the end for them

Most people would agree that Lennon and M

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You mean it's just a coincidence that it reached its peak just as I turned 17?

I always felt that the late 60s/early 70s (before I was born) and 90s (when I was a teenager) produced the best music. I was aware that thinking the 90s was good might be nostalgia for when I was a teenager.

Was pleasantly surprised to see a thing looking back on Annie Nightingale's career and she was asked best eras of music and said 60s and 90s. So with that confirmation bias I am now going to assume it's nothing to do with nostalgia and just the correct opinion to have.

Just now, found home in 2009 said:

Most people would agree that Lennon and M

I always felt that the late 60s/early 70s (before I was born) and 90s (when I was a teenager) produced the best music. I was aware that thinking the 90s was good might be nostalgia for when I was a teenager.

Was pleasantly surprised to see a thing looking back on Annie Nightingale's career and she was asked best eras of music and said 60s and 90s. So with that confirmation bias I am now going to assume it's nothing to do with nostalgia and just the correct opinion to have.

We're you 16 going on 17 when you first heard the best music of the 60s?

The majority of 80s music was shit because they programmed drum machines to be absolutely perfect in time and it just took away all humanity from the music and made it soulless.

I do think songs using drum machines/electronic music can be good - but I think you need small deliberate imperfections in there.