Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Bohemian Rhapsody (the film) was massively overrated.

This is true. I think the reason people love it is that the last 20 minutes or so, which is the Live Aid set, are so exciting that audiences left the cinema on a high, and kind of forgotten how bang average the rest of the film is.

As for the band, I think their albums are generally quite patchy, but as a singles act, they have few peers. I gather they were great live too.

53 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Originally Sacha Baron Cohen was gonna play Freddie but he dropped out and I remember when he talked about why. The plan was for a film about how eccentric Freddie was, with stuff like midgets (is that the correct term nowadays?) serving coke at his parties and weird things like that but the band didn't like it and the realization he shouldn't do the movie was when he talked to Brian May. May talked about what a great film it would be as it's about the happy ending of the band carrying on after Freddie died.

Edited by jump

3 minutes ago, jump said:

Originally Sacha Baron Cohen was gonna play Freddie but he dropped out and I remember when he talked about why. The plan was for the film was about how eccentric Freddie was stuff, stuff like midgets (is that the correct term nowadays?) serving coke at parties and weird stuff like that but the band didn't like it and the realization he shouldn't do the movie was when he talked to Brian May. May talked about what a great film it would be as it's about the happy ending of the band carrying on after Freddie died.

Ties in with my perception of the film which was very much "official biography" and told you story that May and Taylor wanted you to see and left out some of the more unsavoury elements. The narrative they delivered was very much that Freddie was a saint and led astray and manipulated by other people.

The problem with Queen is that the same songs are played on the radio over and over to the point where they get on your nerves. The songs they do play are often far from their best (I'm looking at you Radio Gaga).

Their first 7 albums are all magnificent but it was a pretty swift decline after that with only one or two stand out tracks from the later efforts.

Freddie was the 3rd greatest frontman of all time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

The problem with Queen is that the same songs are played on the radio over and over to the point where they get on your nerves. The songs they do play are often far from their best (I'm looking at you Radio Gaga).

Their first 7 albums are all magnificent but it was a pretty swift decline after that with only one or two stand out tracks from the later efforts.

Behind Sebastian Bach and Eric Adams, one presumes? 

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

We’ve had Greatest Hits Radio on in my work for the past few months and I do a full body cringe any time a Queen song comes on, largely because it seems like it’s every fifth song, and I was already sick of hearing them before that. 

And yeah, the film was pure self-fellatio shite.

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Dave Lee Roth? Jagger?

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ties in with my perception of the film which was very much "official biography" and told you story that May and Taylor wanted you to see and left out some of the more unsavoury elements. The narrative they delivered was very much that Freddie was a saint and led astray and manipulated by other people.

You say official biography but the band had not fallen out before live aid, they were on tour together just a few weeks prior and Mercury was not HIV positive at live aid and would not contract aids until a few years later

4 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

You say official biography but the band had not fallen out before live aid, they were on tour together just a few weeks prior and Mercury was not HIV positive at live aid and would not contract aids until a few years later

THERE'S NO TRUTH TO THE ART!!

On the topic of biopics, I thought The Dirt was pretty fun. It's shit but in a it's so shit it's actually good sort of way and it actually made me tempted to listen to Motley Crue.

Edited by jump
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Yeah I know the whole getting back together for Live Aid and Freddie telling them just before was dramatic license...

The heavy suggestion that they saved Live Aid was fucking cringe inducing too.

3 minutes ago, jump said:

THERE'S NO TRUTH TO THE ART!!

On the topic of biopics, I thought The Dirt was pretty fun. It's shit but in a it's so shit it's actually good sort of way and it actually made me tempted to listen to Motley Crue.

I'd agree on that, even as someone who does listen to Motley Crue by choice. I have a number of mates though who are also fans who hated everything about it.

Edited by Gnomicide

3 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

A lot of the facts were massaged to make the film more dramatic. As someone familiar with the actual timeline, I found this jarring. Especially the bit where they wrote We Will Rock You five years after they recorded and released it.

But it very much is an official product.

Talking of product, anyone else ever been to the Queen shop in Carnaby street - a whole shop dedicated to just Queen merch, which shows how popular they still are and what a going financial concern the brand is. A lot of tat, but their vinyl selection was pitiful.

Just now, Gnomicide said:

I couldn't watch him during the day.

Truth be told I have no skin in that particular game, obviously preferred DLR. It's just always fun to suggest it to VH fans 😄

Best description of DLR I read was "a walking erection in spandex".

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I enjoyed it, but when I watch a film or read a book based on true events I always like to google how accurate it was afterwards. I thought it was a bit shit that the film portrayed him falling out with the band and having nothing to do with them before Live Aid when that was complete bullshit:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/freddie-mercury-queen-biopic-bohemian-rhapsody-movie-fact-check-746195/

Just now, Chef said:

Agreed.

And Rocketman even more so. 

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

This is true. I think the reason people love it is that the last 20 minutes or so, which is the Live Aid set, are so exciting that audiences left the cinema on a high, and kind of forgotten how bang average the rest of the film is.

As for the band, I think their albums are generally quite patchy, but as a singles act, they have few peers. I gather they were great live too.

I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody at the cinema and Rocketman seemed such a disappointment in comparison. I think maelzoid is right about finishing with the Live Aid set meant you left the cinema on a high, whereas Rocketman never really had the same kind of high impact euphoric moment.

• Like 1