Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

Perhaps the most controversial opinion is that all musical controversy is utterly contrived.;

There is, in the end, no accounting for taste.

All the cool skater kids used to love Ted Nugent.

I secretly hated it and actually loved Shalamar much, much more.

5 hours ago, bamber said:

Perhaps the most controversial opinion is that all musical controversy is utterly contrived.;

There is, in the end, no accounting for taste.

All the cool skater kids used to love Ted Nugent.

I secretly hated it and actually loved Shalamar much, much more.

It is, music taste is subjective so that’s all there is to say.

Uncontroversially Ted Nugent is the loudest man in rock. When I saw him I was standing near the speakers. It was seriously difficult to keep upright.

Edited by Avalon_Fields

6 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Talking of controversy, did we have the traditional annual Xmas controversy over ‘The fairytale of New York’ and ‘Baby it’s cool outside’ this year?

Not sure if it’s my imagination but I don’t think I saw anything about it. 

Don't think I heard either played, but I don't listen to the radio much. 

Think the only thing I saw was someone doing a joke Twitter thread  about only just realising what the lyrics to 'Baby it's cold outside' actually say but I think everyone's so bored of it by now it didn't seem to get much traction.

8 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Talking of controversy, did we have the traditional annual Xmas controversy over ‘The fairytale of New York’ and ‘Baby it’s cool outside’ this year?

Not sure if it’s my imagination but I don’t think I saw anything about it. 

The offending lyrics in Fairytale of New York have been replaced with ‘you’re cheap and you’re haggard’ for radio play now, and tbh all the people who usually moan about those songs have probably been too busy moaning about masks, vaccines and lockdowns etc this year which is why there hasn’t been much/any of the usual social media shite about them.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:42 AM, Avalon_Fields said:

It is, music taste is subjective so that’s all there is to say.

Uncontroversially Ted Nugent is the loudest man in rock. When I saw him I was standing near the speakers. It was seriously difficult to keep upright.

The loudest thing I ever heard was Jah Shaka at the Church on the Island in Brixton. The solar plexus was rumbling that night. 

Now, ear damage, is it worth it? ...  is a valid, controversial, musical opinion. 

10 hours ago, bamber said:

The loudest thing I ever heard was Jah Shaka at the Church on the Island in Brixton. The solar plexus was rumbling that night. 

Now, ear damage, is it worth it? ...  is a valid, controversial, musical opinion. 

Depends on the degree. I damaged my hearing at the second gig I ever went to, Uriah Heep (OK I know it serves me right having such bad taste), I’ve had tinnitus ever since but it’s only mild. When I used to go to loud gigs my ears would be ringing for a couple of days and the tinnitus would be more noticeable, I’ve been careful for 20 years now and wear ear plugs occasionally but mainly I’m not really interested in loud gigs anymore. It’s not been a major issue to me but I hope my experience may help others be at least aware of the risks. I don’t regret going to all those rock acts back in the day. 

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd say the answer No is relatively uncontroversial.

That said I don't personally bother with ear protectors (except for acts like MBV where they're being given out and recommended) and it's been OK...

...so far.

I suffered permanent ear damage a few years ago, ironically not as a result of all those gigs, but from a cold virus.

i have to wear earplugs at gigs these days - if i dont, i get a good 48hrs of my hearing being utterly banjaxed. i suspect im a delicate soul. (though admittedly i do like to go to fairly robust stuff, deathy/thrashy things that do tend to be quite loud)

i just take it as further tacit acknowledgment that im old, which is absolutely fine with me! being old is far preferable to the alternative. 

32 minutes ago, Homer said:

That doesn't actually happen does it?!

Yeah, he’s making her drink an drops some potion or something into her drink.

I think from memory he opens a compartment in his ring and drops the contents into her wine.

EDIT- just had a look on YouTube. About 1min 10 secs in

Edited by rivalschools.price

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, he’s making her drink an drops some potion or something into her drink.

I think from memory he opens a compartment in his ring and drops the contents into her wine.

EDIT- just had a look on YouTube. About 1min 10 secs in

Fair enough though, he is the devil.

This will be controversial though… I can’t bear Cerys’s voice, something so affected and childish about it that is just awful. Not a big fan of her radio voice either tbh. She seems like a lovely person though…

On 12/31/2021 at 12:22 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

Depends on the degree. I damaged my hearing at the second gig I ever went to, Uriah Heep (OK I know it serves me right having such bad taste), I’ve had tinnitus ever since but it’s only mild. When I used to go to loud gigs my ears would be ringing for a couple of days and the tinnitus would be more noticeable, I’ve been careful for 20 years now and wear ear plugs occasionally but mainly I’m not really interested in loud gigs anymore. It’s not been a major issue to me but I hope my experience may help others be at least aware of the risks. I don’t regret going to all those rock acts back in the day. 

I too went to see/hear Uriah Heep in the late sevs.

Jah Shaka was louder, more bass loud though, I suspect this is slightly less damaging than mids and treble.

Uriah Heap were very loud too though.

My hearing is holding up surprisingly well, all things considered.

I also have Surfer's Ear or Exostosis. I have had the op for this. Photographs of my inner ear appeared in the British Medical Journal thanks to my consultant Dr J.J. Philips who asked me if it was OK to submit them in a paper he wrote about Exostosis.

Gigs are not as loud today for good reason. Some clubs and Raves were also exceedingly loud.I know people who have genuine long-term ear damage from clubbing.

Messenger_SoundSystem_Stacks-e1542196785

Edited by bamber

12 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I didn’t hear Slade once this Christmas for what was surely the first time in my 29 years on this planet. It was bliss. 

Tangentially, while the forums were down Noddy Holder said he'd reform the original line up of Slade to play on El Pointo.  I've heard worse ideas.

36 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Tangentially, while the forums were down Noddy Holder said he'd reform the original line up of Slade to play on El Pointo.  I've heard worse ideas.

Sladest do a decent job in Avalon Cafe on Thursday. Generally including a guest spot from the guvnor. 

Anyway, Slade for the Legends Slot is what he was touting but did acknowledge the fact that they all hate each other may be a problem. Not as big a problem as Diana Ross already being booked but roll on 2023.