Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Not shite but I do think after seeing them once I have no desire to see them again. I don’t quite understand how they have so much staying power on lineups. 

Because not many bands/acts can rock out an hour of music that is this banging. An ace live band with great stage presence and a repertoire of hits unlike any other? Saw them a month later at WHP and they were equally ace with a different set list. They're the dog's danglies when it comes to putting on a show for the masses. 

Screenshot_20211023-145833_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 10/22/2021 at 4:43 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

True story:  I had to write a French language profile of Plastic Bertrand as part of my French Standard Grade exam.

The Scottish education system really reached its peak with standard Grades!   It’s been all downhill since then.  I assume that was for a credit and not a foundation or general level!   All I remember from my French O grade was the luscious French foreign language assistant Madamoiselle Frauciel who smoked Gaulois fags and tormented us teenage boys.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Because not many bands/acts can rock out an hour of music that is this banging. An ace live band with great stage presence and a repertoire of hits unlike any other? Saw them a month later at WHP and they were equally ace with a different set list. They're the dog's danglies when it comes to putting on a show for the masses. 

Screenshot_20211023-145833_Samsung Internet.jpg

All but 6 are covers.

I was massively into punk (Clash, Stranglers, Jam, Siouxsie, etc) whilst still loving prog rock (Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd) so I was probably alone in liking both at the time. I though disco was naff (Apart from Donna Summer).

I was wrong about disco. I wasn’t wrong about punk. It gave me some of my best music memories. 

17 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I was massively into punk (Clash, Stranglers, Jam, Siouxsie, etc) whilst still loving prog rock (Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd) so I was probably alone in liking both at the time. I though disco was naff (Apart from Donna Summer).

I was wrong about disco. I wasn’t wrong about punk. It gave me some of my best music memories. 

Are you saying you were wrong about prog?

37 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Almost the same musical path as myself.  Heavy rock , zeppelin, sabbath , purple and the progressive bands you mentioned as well as less well known bands such as Uriah  Heep and Atomic Rooster. The arrival of punk which I loved didn’t stop me liking the classic rock acts. Disco didn’t appeal though the BeeGees were the exception!  As the years passed I find you become less snobbish and clannish about music.  That’s the beauty of Glastonbury, from the Avalon to the pyramid, just great music of every genre everywhere.  

Apart from jazz, I can’t get it, never have and I’ve tried! 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It's all Rock & Roll* as far as I'm concerned. Different strands of, some of which I may prefer than others, but it's all good.

*not literally Rock & Roll, but music of the Rock/Pop era

There’s only two types of music in this world, one is rock and the other roll!

10 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Wow, it's only taken you 9 months to respond to my post! 😄

I stand by it though, it was bloody awful!

Fairy snuff, I wasn't there but would agree his set was a tad ropey.

Artists all have an off day, look at some of glasto performances over the years, expectations dashed occasionally. 

I only replied 9 months later as news of his illness is recent, thought the 13 min clip was quite moving, your post came up when I searched Tony Bennett hence my belated reply 😊