Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

4 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

@CaledonianGonzo and @priest17 you are both wrong.

Both punk and disco are great and revolutionary in their own ways.

I hope one day you both broaden your horizons and realise this as the world will be a more magical place 

No.  I said there were exceptions.

No problem with people slagging off a musical genre they don't like. But I don't like the inference that all punks were walking around wearing swastikas. None of the punk kids that I hung around with would have dreamed of it and would have got a slap if they had. We didn't all grow up to be Gary Bushell!

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's still going strong though and - as progenitor of house,techno and hip hop - it's unarguably part of the lineage of African-American music that continues to shape both the current and most forward-looking ways of making music.

Punk gave us Idles.

Although I do tip my hat to any punk fans who made it through Idles' bit of Live On Worthy Farm without spontaneously combusting out of embarrassment.

We can join together wincing at idles cringey nature, at least it got an actual reaction from us. Disco has limped along, picked up randomly by pop acts out if ideas (even, sadly, Daft Punk). 

I see decent, raw, upcoming acts perform every week. Funny how you don't see anyone in their late teens/early 20s limp through a disco set it's for boring oldies.

There are no exceptions. My horizons are perfectly broad. I am right.

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

No problem with people slagging off a musical genre they don't like. But I don't like the inference that all punks were walking around wearing swastikas. None of the punk kids that I hung around with would have dreamed of it and would have got a slap if they had. We didn't all grow up to be Gary Bushell!

No worries dude. I'm aware of Crass.

9 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

@CaledonianGonzo and @priest17 you are both wrong.

Both punk and disco are great and revolutionary in their own ways.

I hope one day you both broaden your horizons and realise this as the world will be a more magical place 

sshhhh - just sit back and watch the ding dong. What the tread is about 🙂 

18 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Punk was born out of people who couldn't play instruments picking them up and fucking doing something. The DIY scene it created went on to have a massive impact on the dance and rave scene. Imagine being talented and deciding to play... Disco? Better than dressing up as a wizard and doing a 10 minute keyboard solo to be fair.

Is this why all the bands you post in the new music thread are shite and sound the same 😂😂😂

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ca Plane Pour Moi by Plastic Betrand.

When I was but a child, my sister had a party in our house that included a bunch of French exchange students. They all went mental to this, including one who pogo'd into my mother's very fashionable ceiling lights and nearly knocked himself out.

I will forever love that song just for the memory of that but it is indeed a banger.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

When I was but a child, my sister had a party in our house that included a bunch of French exchange students. They all went mental to this, including one who pogo'd into my mother's very fashionable ceiling lights and nearly knocked himself out.

I will forever love that song just for the memory of that but it is indeed a banger.

True story:  I had to write a French language profile of Plastic Bertrand as part of my French Standard Grade exam.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

We can join together wincing at idles cringey nature, at least it got an actual reaction from us. Disco has limped along, picked up randomly by pop acts out if ideas (even, sadly, Daft Punk). 

I see decent, raw, upcoming acts perform every week. Funny how you don't see anyone in their late teens/early 20s limp through a disco set it's for boring oldies.

There are no exceptions. My horizons are perfectly broad. I am right.

Some of the best, most exciting sets from DJs I’ve seen over the last few years are disco ones. Certainly plenty of exciting stuff in the genre and it’s loved by so many people around my age in their twenties and definitely isn’t for oldies. 

More Brewdog swigging old people watching a set by the latest AF gang approved punk band with a one word name in all caps.

Just now, Mouseboy11 said:

Some of the best, most exciting sets from DJs I’ve seen over the last few years are disco ones. Certainly plenty of exciting stuff in the genre and it’s loved by so many people around my age in their twenties and definitely isn’t for oldies. 

More Brewdog swigging old people watching a set by the latest AF gang approved punk band with a one word name in all caps.

Pretty sure I saw you stood around a table screaming Danny Nedelko at Sadanista once.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ca Plane Pour Moi by Plastic Betrand.

If you like that then you will love circle jerks, black flag, the germs, swans, teenage jesus and the jerks to name but a few.

You just need to go in with an open mind.

I think you should spend all weekend locked in your room listening to a 100 punk albums and @priest17 will do the same with disco. You'll both never be the same again 

23 hours ago, Kurczak said:

Pink Floyd- I don't need that plod and echo

Sex Pistols at the time were a band for 14 yr olds, just childish shite (apart from bodies), nazi punks can fuck off, sid was a murderer. At the time Joy Division were also in the poop over their nazi name too, and I love the Skids!!

There is no excuse for John Peel, it was never a good thing

Prog rock ffs.

PiL is the best band ever.

Trout Mask Replica is Beefheart's worst album, people only pretend to like it.

Jazz should only be used as a punishment. 

You are @hfuhruhurr and I claim my ten pounds. Either that or shameless plagiarism to get a reaction.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

If you like that then you will love circle jerks, black flag, the germs, swans, teenage jesus and the jerks to name but a few.

You just need to go in with an open mind.

I think you should spend all weekend locked in your room listening to a 100 punk albums and @priest17 will do the same with disco. You'll both never be the same again 

Is this the world's first Plastic Bertrand / Michael Gira comparison?