Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

26 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Not sure if this is controversial but a lively discussion with mates ensued when I declared it.

The greatest punk song ever recorded is New Rose by The Damned.

Depends on your definition of punk I suppose, but 'White man in Hammersmith Palais' by The Clash is not just the greatest punk song but maybe THE greatest song ever recorded!

49 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Not sure if this is controversial but a lively discussion with mates ensued when I declared it.

The greatest punk song ever recorded is New Rose by The Damned.

The greatest punk song is Get Lucky. Check it out, it's the sound of the summer. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jump said:

I'd definitely put it as one of the most important ever made, it beat both The Clash and Sex Pistols as the first UK punk single if I remember my history correctly. Personally I thought Smash It Up was their best song.

Are we only including 70s punk?

Include whenever you want. I was.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My controversial punk take is that punk music may have sounded impressive in context, but - with some exceptions - there's no call to be listening to it 45 years on.

Horses for courses and all but that statement coming from a champion of disco music is flabbergasting.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Racists and homophobes were building bonfires of disco records whilst punks were swanning around wearing swastikas.  It's a bold man who throws their lot in with the latter.

Some punks went on to make disco (Blondie, Talking Heads).

Some punks threw their hat in with reggae (The Clash, SLF).

Some punks were racist scum.

Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Racists and homophobes were building bonfires of disco records whilst punks were swanning around wearing swastikas.  It's a bold man who throws their lot in with the latter.

I'm surprised disco music caused that much of a stir to be honest, it's a lame duck of a genre. The rest of your example is some solid bait, I'll give you that. 

Punk was born out of people who couldn't play instruments picking them up and fucking doing something. The DIY scene it created went on to have a massive impact on the dance and rave scene. Imagine being talented and deciding to play... Disco? Better than dressing up as a wizard and doing a 10 minute keyboard solo to be fair.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My cousin seemed to swear by this SLF album:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Now_Then...

However, from a 2021 perspective the title alone is a red flag.

All sounds a bit too polished really but there are some decent tracks on it, they still do Listen though it sounds better live. 

Just now, priest17 said:

I'm surprised disco music caused that much of a stir to be honest, it's a lame duck of a genre. The rest of your example is some solid bait, I'll give you that. 

It's still going strong though and - as progenitor of house,techno and hip hop - it's unarguably part of the lineage of African-American music that continues to shape both the current and most forward-looking ways of making music.

Punk gave us Idles.

Although I do tip my hat to any punk fans who made it through Idles' bit of Live On Worthy Farm without spontaneously combusting out of embarrassment.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's still going strong though and - as progenitor of house, techno and hip hop - it's unarguably part of the lineage of African-American music that continues to shape both the current and most forward-looking ways of making music.

Punk gave us Idles.

Although I do tip my hat to any punk fans who made it through Idles' bit of Live On Worthy Farm without spontaneously combusting out of embarrassment.

You say this like it's a good thing.