Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

21 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'll have no more Britpop bashing, thank you very much! 😀

It was popular music, predominantly from Britain. As far as I'm aware, the vast majority of acts around at the time despised the moniker and I can't think of a single punter that I associated myself with who ever suggested that they were into or listened to "Britpop" as a genre. Like most cultural movements, it was cynically hijacked by marketeers and red tops keen to ride the coat-tails of the biggest cultural phenomenon since the last one.

Yep and I think a lot of bands were lazily bundled in with it when they didn't really even quite have the sound. I know The Bluetones for example hated it at the time and felt like they weren't really part of that scene but were lumped in with it because they played guitars. 

46 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I also agree that we can't blame Brit Pop, aside from Menswear who I'm pretty sure cursed us all with their existence. 

This isnt anything to do with anything really, but my old flatmate at University shagged three members of Menswear, which almost unbelievably didnt involve the lead singer. She was a strange girl. 

17 hours ago, balti-pie said:

This isnt anything to do with anything really, but my old flatmate at University shagged three members of Menswear, which almost unbelievably didnt involve the lead singer. She was a strange girl. 

I think the lead singer is gay, so maybe not that unbelievable. I was a big fan back in the day, but I was like 13 or something so think that's okay.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:15 PM, dentalplan said:

The Cure aren’t that big a name though. They’re a cult act with revered albums and a renowned live show - much like Arcade Fire.

The Fire are 100% going to be a legacy act if they aren’t already. I don’t think they’ll be as big as their post-Grammys bump but they should always have enough about them to headline festivals around the world and do their own large shows. Having two of the most acclaimed albums of the century and a solid live rep separates them from chuffing Razorlight and whoever else once headlined festivals then slid into obscurity.

Disagree, the cure have had massive hits. Arcade Fire have not had any gigantic songs in their catalogue which have caught on.

Arcade Fire are big to Arcade Fire fans.. but they fall very short when it comes to the general public.

33 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Still active in music apparently!

Johnny Dean (born John Hutchinson Dean; 12 December 1971) is a British musician, frontman and figure of the 1990s Britpop era. He was the frontman of Menswear (stylized Menswe@r) and is currently working on a solo, synthpop project called Fxxk Explosion.

That he’s turning 50 very soon makes me feel ancient!

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think the lead singer is gay, so maybe not that unbelievable. I was a big fan back in the day, but I was like 13 or something so think that's okay.

thats an extremely good reason! she was nice but not 'convert your whole sexuality' nice 😄

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Disagree, the cure have had massive hits. Arcade Fire have not had any gigantic songs in their catalogue which have caught on.

Arcade Fire are big to Arcade Fire fans.. but they fall very short when it comes to the general public.

There are a lot of them, then. As said, been in arenas for over a decade, run of number one albums… People were saying the exact thing would exclude them from ever headlining Glastonbury - someone’s aunt hasn’t heard of them, whatever.

9 hours ago, Crumbleflaps said:

Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are both boring as fuck.

Two great bands. Can see how you could make an argument Led Zeppelin were boring as they were so derivative. Personally think Dark Side of the Moon is one of the greatest albums ever and not sure how anyone could label Pink Floyd as boring. But it is the controversial opinions thread I suppose

10 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Two great bands. Can see how you could make an argument Led Zeppelin were boring as they were so derivative. Personally think Dark Side of the Moon is one of the greatest albums ever and not sure how anyone could label Pink Floyd as boring. But it is the controversial opinions thread I suppose

I'll be honest, saying Led Zep were "so derivative" is actually worse than "boring" in my book. Yes, they took blues and folk influences, but they certainly played them in fresh ways.

but yes, I know which thread we're in...

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

The argument of the general public is always a weird one to me. Lots of the general public know stuff like The Darkness, The Specials, Adam Ant, Lily Allen etc but I've seen recent listings for them at non-arena venues. It's like the idea of building a big fanbase doesn't mean you are big unless they are massively exposed on shit Spotify playlists and even Karen from HR (who knows fuck all about music) knows of them even though the common metrics of chart positions, venues sizes etc puts them in the top tier. I mean does anyone really give a fuck if Karen knows them, she's a c**t anyway!

Edited by jump

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

This is the wrong way round mate, Pink Floyd are shit. Bonham's got more talent in his bass drum pedal.

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

0_Roy-Keane.jpg

“You’ve got people on forums asking their mothers if they’ve heard of a band or singer as a requirement to headline a music festival.

It’s Glastonbury for Christ’s sake. You should be asking your dealer for recommendations, not your mammy.”

My dealer thought Glastonbury went too corporate years ago and doesn't give a shit. There's a 37 capacity fest just outside of Hulme, that's where it's at.