Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

48 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

No ‘comedy’ music that tries to be funny is as their main selling point is actually funny. Weird Al, Steel Panther, Tenacious D, Alestorm, The Midnight Beast etc. etc. 

Whereas a band like Type O Negative, for example, are hilarious. 

More to the point, even if they were funny, who wants to hear the same joke again and again on their iPod and then go and watch them performing the same joke live?

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I've not thought of it that way, as I adore both bands I must like the ridiculous. 

In fact I'm so ridiculous I'm tempted to say I like the Flaming Lips more than Arcade Fire. The Lips have undoubtedly made poorer albums than anything Arcade Fire have, but their last two are glorious...

i bloody love the Flaming Lips. And i like that at this point of their career, they really can do absolutely anything they fancy and itll be a) released b) at the very least, be interesting. I really liked the Kings Mouth album, its not as radio friendly as Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi (very obviously!) but there's no other band i can think of that just bung their ideas out so fully formed and fleshed out. Quite literally embedded in gummi skulls!  

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

No ‘comedy’ music that tries to be funny is as their main selling point is actually funny. Weird Al, Steel Panther, Tenacious D, Alestorm, The Midnight Beast etc. etc. 

Whereas a band like Type O Negative, for example, are hilarious. 

The Conchords are funny. But importantly, the music is good. It's worth listening to without the jokes. But the jokes are good too.

Being funny is their main thing, but it's the great music that means you can listen to them again - it's not throwaway + halfarsed like a lot of comedy music.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Britpop and it's consequences have had dire implications for the human race.

initially i'm broadly in agreement, and i'd like one of the most important parts of your thesis to feature annoying gonks on guitars at parties playing 'wonderwall'.

And while Weller is the obvious one to blame for Wellend haircuts, we can DEFINITELY blame britpop for the inexplicable resurgence of mop-headed Wellends over the last 25 years or so. 

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Does that actually happen these days? Pretty sure I haven't heard Wonderwall at a party since 1998.

i have, but i have a knobhead mate who knows it annoys me. Its become a self-perpetuating circle of hell and i'll only realistically break it by killing him. OR snapping his guitar strings . . . 

46 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

And while Weller is the obvious one to blame for Wellend haircuts, we can DEFINITELY blame britpop for the inexplicable resurgence of mop-headed Wellends over the last 25 years or so. 

It’s a lazy trope. Marriott created the style and Weller merely adopted it. He hasn’t had it that way in 10(?) years now. 

I remember watching a Paul Weller ‘day in the life’ type video on some channel or something. The Modfather visited his barber for a trim, and the documentarian asked the barber if he liked the hairstyle, the barber went “no, it’s too feminine”. The owned Mr. Weller had a right face on sat in the chair. 10/10 would watch again.

edit: not that a feminine haircut is owt to be ashamed of - just your own barber not liking your hairstyle probably is

Edited by dentalplan

18 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It didn't cause Brexit all by itself but there must be some cause and effect in there.

Although with the exception of Noel Gallagher I can't think of a single Britpop artist who is pro-brexit and the age group that grew up with Britpop (which is very definitely my age group) are most certainly not the ones who voted for it. If we were going to argue that any musical movement was responsible for it surely it would be more Beatles/Stones/The Who generation. Obviously bought the hype that Britain was the best ever. I agree that Brit pop brought back a little of that belief in British exceptionalism but I think I have always seen it a bit more tongue in cheek etc. 

Ironically Britpop has a big following in Europe. I have a 22 year old colleague in Barcelona who listens to more Brit Pop than me. 

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Although with the exception of Noel Gallagher I can't think of a single Britpop artist who is pro-brexit and the age group that grew up with Britpop (which is very definitely my age group) are most certainly not the ones who voted for it. If we were going to argue that any musical movement was responsible for it surely it would be more Beatles/Stones/The Who generation. Obviously bought the hype that Britain was the best ever. I agree that Brit pop brought back a little of that belief in British exceptionalism but I think I have always seen it a bit more tongue in cheek etc. 

Ironically Britpop has a big following in Europe. I have a 22 year old colleague in Barcelona who listens to more Brit Pop than me. 

It was ginger spice in that dress, wasn't it? "Thatcher was the original girl power" and all that. Seemed harmless at the time...

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

It was ginger spice in that dress, wasn't it? "Thatcher was the original girl power" and all that. Seemed harmless at the time...

I don't really think of them as Britpop though. Britpop was more the indie scene that got popular Blur, Oasis, Pulp and the like. 

Edited by gigpusher
Because Blur don't deserve to be confused with Blue

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I don't really think of them as Britpop though. Britpop was more the indie scene that got popular Blue, Oasis, Pulp and the like. 

Sure. I meant ginger was more responsible for the whole 'Britain is great' hype you spoke of. 

But just a joke. Spice Girls are guilty of a lot of things, but Brexit isn't one of them.

I'll have no more Britpop bashing, thank you very much! 😀

It was popular music, predominantly from Britain. As far as I'm aware, the vast majority of acts around at the time despised the moniker and I can't think of a single punter that I associated myself with who ever suggested that they were into or listened to "Britpop" as a genre. Like most cultural movements, it was cynically hijacked by marketeers and red tops keen to ride the coat-tails of the biggest cultural phenomenon since the last one.

Unfortunately I think it also suffers retrospectively from the Union flag symbolism that's more attached these days to the ridiculous levels of nationalism that have increased over the past decade. I don't think Noel Gallagher's Epiphone kills fascists as much as it wasn't a right wing call to arms. It was all tongue-in-cheek. It never struck me during the time that it was anything other than thinking that it was cool that our tiny island was the cultural centre of the planet once again for the first time since the mid-sixties...but just for a short while. 

I'd also argue that it was the "Britpop" generation that helped this country finally break free from years of Tory tyranny, only for the previous one to restore it again years later.

• Upvote 1