Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nah. You can say a lot of things about the Arctic Monkeys but saying they’ve just churned out music in the same style for their entire career isn’t one.

Spot on, CalGon loves to shit on AM despite most of his criticisms not actually being valid…

Albums 1 & 2: “chip shop rock” (their phrase)

Album 3: Desert rock with Homme producing

Album 4: Softer and slightly more psychedelic.

Album 5: More mainstream indie with hints of hip hop beats and harder rock sounds.

Album 6: Avant garde French cinema

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Spot on, CalGon loves to shit on AM despite most of his criticisms not actually being valid…

Album 5: More mainstream indie with hints of hip hop beats and harder rock sounds.

You could stick a knife between albums 1 and 2 and say how FWN has a solid dance-punk angle to it as well.

49 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I hear what you're saying, but there used to be a time when bands would cover that amount of ground in a single album...

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Not meaning to stir the pot, but if memory serves, don't you hate FWN? Think you referred to it before as a total dud follow-up, but it might have been tongue in cheek.

Yes I do

edit: when I say ‘solid’ I don’t mean good I mean tangible, figuratively speaking

Edited by dentalplan

26 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I knew someone would ask me this... er.... the seventies...?

image.png.3b26e00058996510057315caaf7db918.png  image.png.33ca4667acebd3acabc2420bb488c346.png  image.png.a38b0f3b89629fc99f6532f1c4555942.png

It would be fucking exhausting if everyone aimed for that.

Also doesn't really back up CalGons point that AM aren't doing this 3 decades later (along with nearly everyone else).

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

It would be fucking exhausting if everyone aimed for that.

Exactly, not every band has to be pumping "worthy" challenging stuff out with every release.

Some acts do what they do well, AM have nailed the large scale crowd pleasing indie thing, you've usually got a pretty good idea what you're going to get from them, and that's just fine. 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Some acts do what they do well, AM have nailed the large scale crowd pleasing indie thing, you've usually got a pretty good idea what you're going to get from them, and that's just fine. 

But their last album isn’t that at all? That’s the point people are trying to make, they’re not just churning out the same album with a few big singles every couple of years.

Yeah, I'm playing devil's advocate somewhat. But even so, when I think of band's that have evolved musically over their career, I don't think of AM. I'm not saying they've stagnated or anything, but compared to Blur or Radiohead, they have stuck to a style with some modest variations.

27 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Blessed is the cheesemaker.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I like what Josie Long said about Blur: "Who is my favourite member of Blur? - Graham Coxon. Who is my 2nd favourite member of Blur? - Dave Rowntree. Who is my 3rd favourite member of Blur? - Damon Albarn. Who is my 4th favourite member of Blur? - I haven't got one!"

4 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I think I've mentioned it before, but I like what Josie Long said about Blur: "Who is my favourite member of Blur? - Graham Coxon. Who is my 2nd favourite member of Blur? - Dave Rowntree. Who is my 3rd favourite member of Blur? - Damon Albarn. Who is my 4th favourite member of Blur? - I haven't got one!"

Where there's cheese, there's a bellend.

42 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Deftones are not a nu-metal band. 

The term nu metal has been binned with it only be used for nostalgia purposes now for bands like Limp Bikzit who people see for their classics songs whilst the others acts from those days like Deftones had growth past the time period are labelled with "alternative metal" instead even though it's largely the same bollocks.