Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

On 10/3/2021 at 7:10 PM, Mardy said:

Yeah, there are obviously some really massive exceptions, but I reckon for a good 90% of acts, their first album is the essential one. Diminishing returns after that. Like I say, not true in all cases, but definitely in the overwhelming majority. And hardly anybody's 5th album is the one. Can only think of a handful of people like that.

Neil Young's fifth album was "On The Beach"

His best.

"An Ambulance can only go so fast."

Edited by bamber

Is it controversial to say that when an album is released... it shouldn't be touched? Whether thats Spiritualized finally getting their Elvis Presley bits on Ladies and Gentlemen, Grohl talking about the cover of Nevermind, or Kanye chopping and changing his albums every half an hour. By all mean chuck out remasters and bonus versions, but the album is the album. At least Martin the young has had the decency to keep the new Let it Be in spirit to the Spector original.

Same for reviews as well... looking at you P4K, rewriting history man - piss off!

6 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Same for reviews as well... looking at you P4K, rewriting history man - piss off!

I know Pitchfork is essentially just a meme these days, but some of those down/upgrades to scores are hilarious. Grimes getting downgraded just a year after the initial review. Interpol downgraded essentially because they’re no longer cool. And basically just a whole lot of ‘Yeah old Pitchfork writers were fucking arseholes’.

Glad to see they didn’t revise the monkey pissing in its own mouth review for Jet, though. A classic.

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Interpol downgraded essentially because they’re no longer cool.

The most controversial opinion in 104 pages on this thread is the idea that at some point in time, Interpol were cool.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:47 PM, Gnomicide said:

My theory has long been that 3rd albums are the breaking point.

Album one - all the good stuff you've written as you plied your trade in clubs and basements.

Album two - Some stuff you've written on the road while touring the first one plus a few decent songs written years ago that didn't make the cut for the first one.

Album three - you're too successful, too full of drugs and everyone is telling you how great you are. Result is a shit album.

From them on it's make or break, get your act together and make something a bit different from the last one or continue throwing out shite.

It's the only essential one. If they'd cut the UYI albums down to at least one double, preferably a single album, they could have had another classic on their hands.

Love the theory, and it definitely works for many band, looking at you Arctic Monkeys!

Doesn't work, in my opinion, for my favourite band The Jam, albums  3 and 4 are far better than 1 and 2.

1 minute ago, Boomtowner said:

Love the theory, and it definitely works for many band, looking at you Arctic Monkeys!

Doesn't work, in my opinion, for my favourite band The Jam, albums  3 and 4 are far better than 1 and 2.

I'd say the Monkeys are one of the poorest examples. Humbug may have been polarising (I love it) but it's definitely a departure from what came before.

48 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd say the Monkeys are one of the poorest examples. Humbug may have been polarising (I love it) but it's definitely a departure from what came before.

As you say, polarising. Loved every song off the first album. It's between them and Stone Roses for the best debut album of all time. I don't think there's a single song from Humbug that I actually like.

21 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I know Pitchfork is essentially just a meme these days, but some of those down/upgrades to scores are hilarious. Grimes getting downgraded just a year after the initial review. Interpol downgraded essentially because they’re no longer cool. And basically just a whole lot of ‘Yeah old Pitchfork writers were fucking arseholes’.

Glad to see they didn’t revise the monkey pissing in its own mouth review for Jet, though. A classic.

They should have gone and done justice to the Black Kids’ debut album. Pretty much ended a good, young band’s career.

52 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Yes, All Mod Cons was a considerable step on from those first two.

It is, and continued with Setting Sons, even now after over 40 years of listening to them both I can't decide which of them is my favourite Jam album. My elder brother always had them blaring from his little box room. It's the music of my childhood, Dig the New Breed was my first ever vinyl purchase, when I was a kid.

2 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

As you say, polarising. Loved every song off the first album. It's between them and Stone Roses for the best debut album of all time. I don't think there's a single song from Humbug that I actually like.

I am literally Crying Lightning 

39 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

It is, and continued with Setting Sons, even now after over 40 years of listening to them both I can't decide which of them is my favourite Jam album. My elder brother always had them blaring from his little box room. It's the music of my childhood, Dig the New Breed was my first ever vinyl purchase, when I was a kid.

They weren’t really my thing, but my mate’s favourite band. We saw them twice, both in ‘82

2 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

I'm going with all mod cons just ahead of setting sons 

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

They weren’t really my thing, but my mate’s favourite band. We saw them twice, both in ‘82

Lucky you, I was 11 when they broke up so never got the chance. A couple of mates got to see them on the final tour but they were a couple of years older than me.