Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

RHCP have to fit the take ages to release a good album description- although probably more of a Frusciante correlation.

Two Door Cinema Club scream diminishing returns to me. Their new album is pathetic - both to listen to and on Spotify etc 

On 10/3/2021 at 7:45 PM, Mardy said:

I've always been fascinated why the overwhelming majority of bands tend to get worse with every subsequent album, but authors generally don't get good until a few books into their career.

(with obviously the usual caveats and exceptions)

On 10/3/2021 at 8:48 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

It's worth remembering that unless an act is brand new to music when they record their first proper album, it's often a compilation of all their best tunes written as an unsigned band, rather than a collection of songs written in the period directly before going into the studio. Thus, the "difficult second album syndrome".

My theory has long been that 3rd albums are the breaking point.

Album one - all the good stuff you've written as you plied your trade in clubs and basements.

Album two - Some stuff you've written on the road while touring the first one plus a few decent songs written years ago that didn't make the cut for the first one.

Album three - you're too successful, too full of drugs and everyone is telling you how great you are. Result is a shit album.

From them on it's make or break, get your act together and make something a bit different from the last one or continue throwing out shite.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:51 PM, Matt42 said:

Is Appetite for Destruction (their debut) the only good Guns and Roses album?

It's the only essential one. If they'd cut the UYI albums down to at least one double, preferably a single album, they could have had another classic on their hands.

44 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

It's the only essential one. If they'd cut the UYI albums down to at least one double, preferably a single album, they could have had another classic on their hands.

Felt this at the time and still agree now. Cocaine + Axl's ego tainted everything in sight

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Album one - all the good stuff you've written as you plied your trade in clubs and basements.

Album two - Some stuff you've written on the road while touring the first one plus a few decent songs written years ago that didn't make the cut for the first one.

Album three - you're too successful, too full of drugs and everyone is telling you how great you are. Result is a shit album.

From them on it's make or break, get your act together and make something a bit different from the last one or continue throwing out shite.

Honestly, this could be copy pasted from Oasis’ Wikipedia page.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I like this a lot. Nice theory. Will no doubt pass it off as my own next time we're down the boozer talking about music. Thanks Gnomi.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I think with the 3rd one you can throw in the pressure to change your sound as well. Consensus seems to be that a band should break new ground for themselves on the 3rd album rather than just more of the same. 

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I like this a lot. Nice theory. Will no doubt pass it off as my own next time we're down the boozer talking about music. Thanks Gnomi.

I'm full of them, if you ever want shit views on football, tv or crocs, I'm your man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Clarence Clemons said:

This IS my 'glastonbury regret'

Mine also involves the Flaming Lips. Regret giving the Gorillaz so long when I wasn't really enjoying it in 2010. Eventually abandoned Gorillaz and caught the last 2 songs of Flaming Lips which seemed awesome, wish I'd seen more of their set and less of Gorillaz.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Brand New’s final album was their magnum opus. 

I absolutely love that album. If it weren’t for what came after I think it’d be looked at as a truly incredible final album, but unfortunately instead it’s to be constantly ignored in the conversation. Ah well, I still listen to it often and am still blown away by how good it is.