Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I see that, but personally I prefer authenticity - records that have the original imperfections and sleeves that are showing their age (I'm aware this might make me sound like a pretentious arse).

I've got an early pressing of the White Album that I was only able to afford because the first track (Back in the USSR) went a bit wrong and is unlistenable. Rest of it is fine.

Ringo's No. 0000001 edition sold for $790,000. 

For my birthday once when I was a kid my brother bought me a copy of Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell II on picture vinyl.  Absolutely made up. Put it on the turntable for its first spin and it was so warped as to be unlistenable.  I was gutted, but we had a chat and decided that the main thing for me was to be able to listen to it, so he took it back and traded it at the record shop for the CD and a couple of Iron Maiden shirts.

Put the CD on for its first proper play, only to realise that the album version of the first track has about a minute of massively distorted guitar nonsense. My vinyl copy had been absolutely fine.

I was, once again, gutted.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

For my birthday once when I was a kid my brother bought me a copy of Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell II on picture vinyl.  Absolutely made up. Put it on the turntable for its first spin and it was so warped as to be unlistenable.  I was gutted, but we had a chat and decided that the main thing for me was to be able to listen to it, so he took it back and traded it at the record shop for the CD and a couple of Iron Maiden shirts.

Put the CD on for its first proper play, only to realise that the album version of the first track has about a minute of massively distorted guitar nonsense. My vinyl copy had been absolutely fine.

I was, once again, gutted.

TBF picture discs are notoriously bad sounding, and I think that album pushed the limit of how much music you could fit on a side of vinyl as well, so it probably did sound terrible.

I stay away from picture discs, though have a couple I've picked up over the years,

16 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Type O Negative, on the other hand, are fucking hilarious and a truly great band. 

After years - probably decades - of thinking that id probably like Type O if i gave em a bash, about six months ago i gave them that much-promised bash and i absolutely love them - you're 100% right in that theyre hilarious and truly great 👍

17 hours ago, Quark said:

I'll go with that. Nostalgia is fine, but you don't want to end up living there.

As much as I love 'em, Levellers are a case in point. Should have seen them last year on the new album tour that's been pushed back to this year for very obvious reasons. Because of the year it's now marketed as a 30th Anniversary Tour of Levelling the Land. It'll be criminal if they overlook the material from a (very good) new album in favour of playing LTL back to back, especially after they did it for the 20th and 25th.

At the LTL 20th anniversary tour they opened with a half hour film showing political and sociological events which influenced the album's themes when released in 1991, then showing key events over the next 20 years, and it was weird hearing a louder crowd panto boo for clips of Blair than for Thatcher. Christ knows what events they'd include for the 10 years since then...

Was actually disappointed that the Southampton gig changed from the Peace tour to LTL anniversary with the rescheduled date as the Peace album is in my opinion more relevant for now than LTL. As it happens it's now the day after the Ozrics in Brighton so I've got a refund as at my age I'll be a mess after, but am starting to think I'm destined not hear the new stuff live - at BDs I was at the bar twice for 2 of the new songs then in the toilet queue for Our Future. Bad timing Dave, bad timing

Edited by justanotheronethen

46 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

After years - probably decades - of thinking that id probably like Type O if i gave em a bash, about six months ago i gave them that much-promised bash and i absolutely love them - you're 100% right in that theyre hilarious and truly great 👍

I remember hearing them on a Kerrang cover tape (ask your parents kids) and thinking they were cool, but never went any further than that. I do remember reading an interview with Pete Steele once and he came across as a very dry bag of chuckles.

Honestly didn't realise he'd died until I looked them up again after @Andre91 brought them up.

1 minute ago, justanotheronethen said:

At the last LTL anniversary tour they opened with a half hour film showing political and sociological events which influenced the album's themes when released in 1991, then showing key events over the next 20 years, and it was weird hearing a louder crowd panto boo for clips of Blair than for Thatcher. Christ knows what events they'd include for the 10 years since then...

Was actually disappointed that the Southampton gig changed from the Peace tour to LTL anniversary with the rescheduled date as the Peace album is in my opinion more relevant for now than LTL. As it happens it's now the day after the Ozrics in Brighton so I've got a refund as at my age I'll be a mess after, but am starting to think I'm destined not hear the new stuff live - at BDs I was at the bar twice for 2 of the new songs then in the toilet queue for Our Future. Bad timing Dave, bad timing

Was that the 20th tour? They did a 25th one as well 5 years ago, was at both of the bloody things which is why I really want to hear the Peace tracks played! I remember the film before they came onstage, but was it half an hour?  Or was that before the support bands kicked off? (think it was Wonderstuff @ Brixton)

The only thing with the new tracks is that (for me) some of the best tracks on there have Simon on vocals, so I'm hoping he's out of isolation and back on the road as I really want to hear them live!

41 minutes ago, Quark said:

Was that the 20th tour? They did a 25th one as well 5 years ago, was at both of the bloody things which is why I really want to hear the Peace tracks played! I remember the film before they came onstage, but was it half an hour?  Or was that before the support bands kicked off? (think it was Wonderstuff @ Brixton)

The only thing with the new tracks is that (for me) some of the best tracks on there have Simon on vocals, so I'm hoping he's out of isolation and back on the road as I really want to hear them live!

The 20th tour, just before they played One Way. I'm not sure about the length or the supports that night though as I'd been imbibing like it was 1991 which was foolish - somersby and skunk is no replacement for strongbow and soapbar. I don't think they had it on the 25th, I drove to Pompey for that one and it was great fun.

I agree with you about Simon. Dan Donnelly did a great job standing in but I'm an annoying purist with some bands and the original members & songwriters. Some bands just aren't the same without the original lineup, the Wonderstuff have proved then bucked that trend since Phoenix though so are the exception to the rule!

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

How do you feel about Jizzy Pearl's Love/Hate?

TBH I didn't know about them til I googled them after your post. It's just Jizzy now? For me no Skid = no Love/Hate.

I saw them touring their 3 albums in the very early 90s, all at the Astoria, and they were awesome gigs, great fun. Even met them at a signing at Tower Records for Let's Rumble - there were hundreds in the queue, no joke. Jizzy was miserable and Skid was drunk, all the girls wanted a photo with Householder.

What's the new incarnation like?

4 minutes ago, justanotheronethen said:

TBH I didn't know about them til I googled them after your post. It's just Jizzy now? For me no Skid = no Love/Hate.

I saw them touring their 3 albums in the very early 90s, all at the Astoria, and they were awesome gigs, great fun. Even met them at a signing at Tower Records for Let's Rumble - there were hundreds in the queue, no joke. Jizzy was miserable and Skid was drunk, all the girls wanted a photo with Householder.

@Gnomicide is finally going to have someone to talk hair metal with. You've just made his day.

1 hour ago, justanotheronethen said:

Still pretty good last time I saw them, that was a few years back though. His voice is so distinctive, it's the main ingredient for me.

I was due to see them at HRH Sleaze last month but they dropped out with all the other overseas acts.

We listen to Blackout on the way there to give us a full "here's what you could have won" experience. Still a brilliant record, even if some of the lyrics are somewhat... troubling.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

@Gnomicide is finally going to have someone to talk hair metal with. You've just made his day.

We are many.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m assuming this means it was within the first 26,000 copies pressed. Which considering how many million it’s shifted isn’t too bad. Not gonna be worth mega money but still nice to have.

355E1768-6AEC-4CCA-8BAB-4871CFC0721A.jpeg

Does it open at the top or the side? If top, I believe it's an original issue (I think). Earlier the better, mono worth more than stereo etc. There's a plethora of articles about it.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Still pretty good last time I saw them, that was a few years back though. His voice is so distinctive, it's the main ingredient for me.

I was due to see them at HRH Sleaze last month but they dropped out with all the other overseas acts.

We listen to Blackout on the way there to give us a full "here's what you could have won" experience. Still a brilliant record, even if some of the lyrics are somewhat... troubling.

We are many.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

We are many.

I've just been on YouTube. He's still got a set pipes on him. They're sounding tight live 👍

I need some Jizz back in my life

Edited by justanotheronethen