Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

6 hours ago, maelzoid said:

It is mental that the top 100 albums this week includes greatest hits albums by Abba, Genesis, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Oasis, Elton John, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, David Bowie, Foo FIghters, George Michael, Elvis Presley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, green Day, Phil Collins, Nirvana, Britney Spears, Stevie Wonder, The Killers, Billy Joel and the Bee Gees. The vast majority of which are not new releases....

The top 100 also has Nevermind, Definitely Maybe, Rumours, Screamadelica, Morning Glory and 2 old Arcitc Monkeys albums.

So, new albums are dead.

Despite it being my biggest bugbear,I genuinely didn’t know that it was anywhere near as bad as this.

Who on earth is buying ABBA, Queen and Michael Jackson greatest hits in such numbers?
Every song by those bands have already been played to death. I can sing along with almost every song without ever consciously playing or listening any song by them my life.

Surely every Elvis fan who has ever lived has already got half a dozen Greatest hits albums by him. At least the Beatles album sales can be explained by the fact that it’s trendy for youngsters to listen to them at the moment.

I’m absolutely staggered by these figures.

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

Been pondering this evening about good comedy music and bad comedy music

Good:

The Spinal Tap/Mighty Wind team. Still find its bit amazing we saw Spinal Tap on the Pyramid

Flight of the Conchords

Bad:

Pretty much everyone else

The Worst:

Tim Minchin

How very dare you. Was lucky enough to catch Tim Minchin in a tiny venue just after his Edinburgh Perrier win (or whatever it was called that year) and found myself almost questioning my sexuality after about three numbers. Just stunned at the originality and obvious talent.

I was thinking only a couple of nights ago how much I used to like the first Bad News album.

And I think The Darkness are a bloody fun band. Can't wait to see them in December.

50 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I suppose it’s twice as hard to be a musician AND a comedian, to write original music and also comedic lyrics too. Even the very best (Conchords) mainly parodied more well known songs.

The Divine Comedy and Marc Rebillet also do a good job of both, although less overtly comedically. The key thing is that all the good ones take the music seriously.

41 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Despite it being my biggest bugbear,I genuinely didn’t know that it was anywhere near as bad as this.

Who on earth is buying ABBA, Queen and Michael Jackson greatest hits in such numbers?
Every song by those bands have already been played to death. I can sing along with almost every song without ever consciously playing or listening any song by them my life.

Surely every Elvis fan who has ever lived has already got half a dozen Greatest hits albums by him. At least the Beatles album sales can be explained by the fact that it’s trendy for youngsters to listen to them at the moment.

I’m absolutely staggered by these figures.

Streamin innit

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Despite her hailing from my neck of the woods in SE Lancashire, Victoria Wood's songs were terrible 

Or at least, they are terrible. I remember laughing in the 80s, but can't stand them now.

At The Chippy was and still is a masterpiece. Not just the song but the choreography. 

(Searched YouTube and couldn't find it. Sorry).

12 hours ago, maelzoid said:

It is mental that the top 100 albums this week includes greatest hits albums by Abba, Genesis, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Oasis, Elton John, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, David Bowie, Foo FIghters, George Michael, Elvis Presley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, green Day, Phil Collins, Nirvana, Britney Spears, Stevie Wonder, The Killers, Billy Joel and the Bee Gees. The vast majority of which are not new releases....

The top 100 also has Nevermind, Definitely Maybe, Rumours, Screamadelica, Morning Glory and 2 old Arcitc Monkeys albums.

So, new albums are dead.

The most baffling of the lot.

Who is buying the music of this nonce? 

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Also. If we’re doing comedy songs there is a certain animated comedy that has produced some great ones down the years..

Yeah, I agree South Park was great for music.;p Chocolate Salty Balls, Kyle’s Mom’s A Bitch and Blame Canada are the obvious ones but they would just casually knock a great song out every now and then.

14 hours ago, maelzoid said:

So, new albums are dead.

Yes during the first lockdown a lot of people bought turntables and I saw a couple of threads on Twitter of what classic albums should I buy. Everytime I replied and said with the greatest of respect David Bowie no longer needs your money but there are artists who during lockdown you buying their album might be the difference between them being able to continue being an artist or having to get a job as a delivery driver, support those instead. I won't say I never buy older albums but it's definitely rarer for me and usually because they a bargain. 

The past is a nice place to visit occasionally but we really shouldn't want to live there. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes during the first lockdown a lot of people bought turntables and I saw a couple of threads on Twitter of what classic albums should I buy. Everytime I replied and said with the greatest of respect David Bowie no longer needs your money but there are artists who during lockdown you buying their album might be the difference between them being able to continue being an artist or having to get a job as a delivery driver, support those instead. I won't say I never buy older albums but it's definitely rarer for me and usually because they a bargain. 

The past is a nice place to visit occasionally but we really shouldn't want to live there. 

Also, why would you want a modern reprint of an record from the 70’s? I always try to buy older albums second hand as I’ve always liked owning something that was around at the time.

19 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I have just found out the origins of the word nonce recently. Do you know where the term comes from? 

Prison term isn't it? Can't remember the exact long form but it's to do with them being kept separate from other prisoners I think? Non-communal exercise or something.

Edited by Quark

36 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Also, why would you want a modern reprint of an record from the 70’s? I always try to buy older albums second hand as I’ve always liked owning something that was around at the time.

Sometimes buying new can be a lot lot cheaper, or it can fix issues with previous pressings.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I have just found out the origins of the word nonce recently. Do you know where the term comes from? 

43 minutes ago, Quark said:

Prison term isn't it? Can't remember the exact long form but it's to do with them being kept separate from other prisoners I think? Non-communal exercise or something.

Not On Normal Courtyard Exercise 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sometimes buying new can be a lot lot cheaper, or it can fix issues with previous pressings.

I see that, but personally I prefer authenticity - records that have the original imperfections and sleeves that are showing their age (I'm aware this might make me sound like a pretentious arse).

I've got an early pressing of the White Album that I was only able to afford because the first track (Back in the USSR) went a bit wrong and is unlistenable. Rest of it is fine.

I buy records to listen to them, not to collect, so I try to go for decent pressings, be they new or ancient.

I have some records from the 70s that still sound fantastic today, and also recent pressings of old records that are amazing. The one thing I don't like are reissues of old albums that have been altered: remixed (as opposed to remastered) or new artwork.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've got an early pressing of the White Album that I was only able to afford because the first track (Back in the USSR) went a bit wrong and is unlistenable. Rest of it is fine.

Out of curiosity, what number have you got?

Yeah, I'm a pretty avid record buyer, definitely not a collector, and I have a general guideline (of course, occasionally broken) that I try only to buy new pressings of newly released records and for older things I usually buy second hand. I can't lie, I don't stick to it 100%, but the intention is there

Just now, Mardy said:

Yeah, I'm a pretty avid record buyer, definitely not a collector, and I have a general guideline (of course, occasionally broken) that I try only to buy new pressings of newly released records and for older things I usually buy second hand. I can't lie, I don't stick to it 100%, but the intention is there

Same.