Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

1 hour ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I don't see the problem with reissues and anniversary tours. No one is forcing you to go or buy the album again.

If there is a market for it and the band are willing to do it then who are you to judge? 

Do you want a semi-serious answer? I think it's unhealthy for a society to be so culturally fixated on the past to such a degree. We can see that with what's happened politically in the UK recently. Harking back to a golden (non existent) era

And in purely practical/musical terms, there are limited number of venues/festival slots/vinyl pressing plants etc etc. Hearing that youngish up-and-coming bands can't get their records pressed for 7-12 months because there's yet another repress of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours? that's not good for the state of the music industry.

We all love Glastonbury, that's why we're here, right? I'm absolutely confident that Glastonbury wouldn't be the thing it is today if, in 1970, Mickey E had booked a band from 30 years prior. Instead of those stories of Marc Bolan turning up in his Roller, it had been the hitmakers of 1940 headlining. The Andrews Sisters banging out "The boogie woogie bugle boys of company C'.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Do you want a semi-serious answer? I think it's unhealthy for a society to be so culturally fixated on the past to such a degree. We can see that with what's happened politically in the UK recently. Harking back to a golden (non existent) era

And in purely practical/musical terms, there are limited number of venues/festival slots/vinyl pressing plants etc etc. Hearing that youngish up-and-coming bands can't get their records pressed for 7-12 months because there's yet another repress of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours? that's not good for the state of the music industry.

We all love Glastonbury, that's why we're here, right? I'm absolutely confident that Glastonbury wouldn't be the thing it is today if, in 1970, Mickey E had booked a band from 30 years prior. Instead of those stories of Marc Bolan turning up in his Roller, it had been the hitmakers of 1940 headlining. The Andrews Sisters banging out "The boogie woogie bugle boys of company C'.

I'll go with that. Nostalgia is fine, but you don't want to end up living there.

As much as I love 'em, Levellers are a case in point. Should have seen them last year on the new album tour that's been pushed back to this year for very obvious reasons. Because of the year it's now marketed as a 30th Anniversary Tour of Levelling the Land. It'll be criminal if they overlook the material from a (very good) new album in favour of playing LTL back to back, especially after they did it for the 20th and 25th.

10 minutes ago, Mardy said:

It is mental that the top 100 albums this week includes greatest hits albums by Abba, Genesis, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Oasis, Elton John, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, David Bowie, Foo FIghters, George Michael, Elvis Presley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, green Day, Phil Collins, Nirvana, Britney Spears, Stevie Wonder, The Killers, Billy Joel and the Bee Gees. The vast majority of which are not new releases....

The top 100 also has Nevermind, Definitely Maybe, Rumours, Screamadelica, Morning Glory and 2 old Arcitc Monkeys albums.

So, new albums are dead.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

It is mental that the top 100 albums this week includes greatest hits albums by Abba, Genesis, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Oasis, Elton John, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, David Bowie, Foo FIghters, George Michael, Elvis Presley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, green Day, Phil Collins, Nirvana, Britney Spears, Stevie Wonder, The Killers, Billy Joel and the Bee Gees. The vast majority of which are not new releases....

The top 100 also has Nevermind, Definitely Maybe, Rumours, Screamadelica, Morning Glory and 2 old Arcitc Monkeys albums.

So, new albums are dead.

That's...really quite depressing

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

So, new albums are dead.

Bloody hell, had no idea it was as bad as that. And yet, the (superb) thread on here of 'albums of the month' regularly throws up some absolute belters. Great new music is being released, every week. But this fixation on the past means they don't get the promotion, coverage or distribution they deserve. 

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

You might have a small point about vinyl albums being delayed but I propose that the delays are much more to do with so many new albums wanting to get pressed than reissues.

https://investmentmonitor.ai/analysis/vinyl-shortage-production-major-labels

3 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Elvana are shite, right?

I've heard loads of people say they're great, and obviously they have great songs, but I've seen clips of them, and they're just a cover band. The whole Elvis thing is a swizz - the guy sounds nothing like Elvis, he just wears the outfit, doesn't even bother with the hair. And Dread Zeppelin did similar shtick back in the 90s.

Absolutely shite. They’re not fun at all - in fact, they don’t even make sense. The guy just dressed as Elvis, he doesn’t even sing like him.

Almost all ‘comedy’ music is not funny. Alestorm, Tenacious D, Steel Panther etc. Absolute arse. 

Type O Negative, on the other hand, are fucking hilarious and a truly great band. 

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Seems like a great opportunity for someone to open up more vinyl plants.

'One anonymous commentator from a UK pressing plant contends that it is the surge in demand from indies that is creating production bottlenecks, more so than the major labels'. "Everyone and their mother [wants] to get their lockdown album pressed...[that's what's changed]."

“It is depressing to see how the independents that kept the business afloat for the past two decades, who drove the revival and set new trends, are suddenly being pushed out of the picture by the big labels just cashing in through bulk reissues,” says Scrimshire. “The indies only want to push out 300–500 records, but they can’t even do that and that is having a big impact on their cash flow, as well as the sense of an event that a record release creates for the artist. The impact of losing physical products for small labels is quite catastrophic.”

I'm happy to trade quotes 

33 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Absolutely shite. They’re not fun at all - in fact, they don’t even make sense. The guy just dressed as Elvis, he doesn’t even sing like him.

Almost all ‘comedy’ music is not funny. Alestorm, Tenacious D, Steel Panther etc. Absolute arse. 

Type O Negative, on the other hand, are fucking hilarious and a truly great band. 

I find Steel Panther absolutely vile. Apart from the undiluted misogyny, what riles me is they’re not even an accurate parody. Most hair metal bands were not that disgusting, instead alluding to their sexism with innuendo, and often with self-deprecation. Spinal Tap got it right decades earlier, which kind of makes Steel Panther pointless.

3 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Let's assume the issue is that major labels are getting priority because they are ordering more vinyl than indie labels because they know they will sell more. That's not all major label reissues a lot of them are new releases. Ed Sheeran's new album is coming out soon and it's vinyl order would get priority over some reissue by an indie label because it's going to sell more.

Yeah, that's true, I'll not argue with that, but alongside that there's also a significant number of reissues which are, inevitably, done by the majors, as per @maelzoid's post.

And the fact that people are buying all this old music and not having a punt on something new and thrilling and something where they have the chance to see the act at the peak of their powers when they're still young and  hungry and up-for-it is probably the most depressing bit of the whole thing.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Let's assume the issue is that major labels are getting priority because they are ordering more vinyl than indie labels because they know they will sell more. That's not all major label reissues a lot of them are new releases. Ed Sheeran's new album is coming out soon and it's vinyl order would get priority over some reissue by an indie label because it's going to sell more.

I'm happy to blame Ed Sheeran as well if you want

Been pondering this evening about good comedy music and bad comedy music

Good:

The Spinal Tap/Mighty Wind team. Still find its bit amazing we saw Spinal Tap on the Pyramid

Flight of the Conchords

Bad:

Pretty much everyone else

The Worst:

Tim Minchin

• Upvote 1

I've now got 9 albums on pre-order, the first one has had the release date pushed back twice, another has just been pushed back 2 weeks. Both state supply issues as the problem, don't know where they're being pressed so it could be issues getting them in from Europe but just as likely delays due to another 50 thousand copies of Queen's Greatest Hits is being knocked out.

5 hours ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I don't see the problem with reissues and anniversary tours. No one is forcing you to go or buy the album again.

If there is a market for it and the band are willing to do it then who are you to judge? 

Fuck saying something is fine because there is a market for it. Artistic judgements have nothing to do with popularity.

*Superhans picture about Nazis and Coldplay*

Edited by stuartbert two hats

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

Good:

The Spinal Tap/Mighty Wind team. Still find its bit amazing we saw Spinal Tap on the Pyramid

Flight of the Conchords

Bad:

The Worst:

Tim Minchin

Despite her hailing from my neck of the woods in SE Lancashire, Victoria Wood's songs were terrible 

Or at least, they are terrible. I remember laughing in the 80s, but can't stand them now.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I've now got 9 albums on pre-order, the first one has had the release date pushed back twice, another has just been pushed back 2 weeks. Both state supply issues as the problem, don't know where they're being pressed so it could be issues getting them in from Europe but just as likely delays due to another 50 thousand copies of Queen's Greatest Hits is being knocked out.

Don't worry, the second that Stryper album lands on your door mat, it'll be worth the wait 

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

Good:

Flight of the Conchords

Bad:

The Worst:

Tim Minchin

The bar steward sons of Val Doonican are good for a laugh. Did the Avalon in 2019

448C0535-F9CB-4E98-BE5C-F7402A1FB8DB.thumb.jpeg.d613a9300d01d2e93f2d7f3210afcbe3.jpeg

released it on CD! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's true, and Bonzo Dog still holds up pretty well.

But a great deal of "funny" music is utterly, absolutely dire. Like Mitch Benn - they're not really trying to do the music properly.

I suppose it’s twice as hard to be a musician AND a comedian, to write original music and also comedic lyrics too. Even the very best (Conchords) mainly parodied more well known songs.