Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

12 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You're absolutely right but I think there's a direct correlation between the reduction of physical music sales and the increase in the need for bands to tour. "Anniversaries" of albums (some not even debut or considered their "classics") give acts a reason to make up for the shortfall in music sales revenue, particularly if they've not got anything new to release

That's a whole other thing that fascinates me. Bands thinking that because they had a few years' minor success that they're owed a living for the next 30 years instead of having to move on, looking back with fondness/bitterness and getting a job. 

And yeah, what you say is really noticeable, the Wedding Present had a good decade or so where each year was the 15th anniversary of one of their albums, then by the time they got to the end of that cycle of 5 albums, it was the 20th anniversary of the first one again, in some perpetual loop of hawking the same thing round to ever diminishing returns.

6 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That's a whole other thing that fascinates me. Bands thinking that because they had a few years' minor success that they're owed a living for the next 30 years instead of having to move on, looking back with fondness/bitterness and getting a job. 

And yeah, what you say is really noticeable, the Wedding Present had a good decade or so where each year was the 15th anniversary of one of their albums, then by the time they got to the end of that cycle of 5 albums, it was the 20th anniversary of the first one again, in some perpetual loop of hawking the same thing round to ever diminishing returns.

It does seem to be quite prevalent within the (let's pigeon hole them) indie community in particular. The recent James gig announcement raised a few eyebrows, the "30th anniversary of their legendary Alton Towers concert". Think they might be scraping the barrel a little with that one! One for the purists, maybe?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It does seem to be quite prevalent within the (let's pigeon hole them) indie community in particular. The recent James gig announcement raised a few eyebrows, the "30th anniversary of their legendary Alton Towers concert". Think they might be scraping the barrel a little with that one! One for the purists, maybe?

hehehe, I'd not seen that. Superb. 'Legendary'? I mean, that's a hell of a thing, innit? Not exactly up there with King Arthur is it? Hundreds of years from now, people sitting round being regaled of tales of when they played 'Sit Down' to a load of people in long sleeved t-shirts.

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

Seriously, fuck all this w*nking off over 30th anniversaries of Nevermind, Screamdelica etc. So fucking unhealthy for music, so unhealthy for society. The musical equivalent of Brexit. I'm fucking dreading the next few years of reminisces about Definitely Maybe, Different Class, Parklife whatever. I despair of our generation lionising these things and subsuming all media into this narrative. It's fucking terrible. Yeah, I know all of you on here are still listening to new music, still exploring a lot of up and coming bands and fair play to each and every one of you, but there's a significant cohort of people who will only go to one gig this year, the Screamadlica live thing and still pride themselves on being open minded sonic pioneers who love music, when the opposite is true. For God's sake, burn it down.

The reason why is this works is because people fall for marketing. A band can be sliding down lineups / doing mid-rate shows and suddenly get a huge ticket sale boost if they market their ‘nostalgia’ tour… as if their regular setlists don’t have half of the songs from that album in it anyway.

The reason this works is because people have short term memory and are easily pleased. 

I've only been to one album in full show and have to admit it was great.

Having said that, the vast majority of stuff the band has released since then has been seriously sub par, you only want to hear stuff from that first album when you see them at a normal show anyway.

Anyways, @Mardy, there's a plethora of them out thirty years ago this week:

https://www.nme.com/features/opinion/nirvana-pixies-primal-scream-a-tribe-called-quested-30th-anniversary-3055448?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nirvana-pixies-primal-scream-a-tribe-called-quested-30th-anniversary&amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Like this you mean? 😄

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-kooks-announce-inside-in-inside-out-15th-anniversary-uk-tour-2945781

Can't wait for the nostalgia hit of hearing Jackie Big Tits live again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I've only been to one album in full show and have to admit it was great.

Having said that, the vast majority of stuff the band has released since then has been seriously sub par, you only want to hear stuff from that first album when you see them at a normal show anyway.

Anyways, @Mardy, there's a plethora of them out thirty years ago this week:

https://www.nme.com/features/opinion/nirvana-pixies-primal-scream-a-tribe-called-quested-30th-anniversary-3055448?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nirvana-pixies-primal-scream-a-tribe-called-quested-30th-anniversary&amp&__twitter_impression=true

Yep, that's my cohort, the Gen Xers take on it, the generation who are now in senior positions within the media. 25 years ago, you'd have had a 'why this week in 1972 was the best ever for music' articles. Fucking nostalgia

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

People will be worrying about her voice and wondering whether she can still mumble like she used to.

Yeah but it'll be the 30 Year Mumble Remix in High Definition Edition. Expanded to 12 discs. You'll hear mumbles you never knew were there if you really listen hard enough, particularly on take #75.

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Elvana are shite, right?

I've heard loads of people say they're great, and obviously they have great songs, but I've seen clips of them, and they're just a cover band. The whole Elvis thing is a swizz - the guy sounds nothing like Elvis, he just wears the outfit, doesn't even bother with the hair. And Dread Zeppelin did similar shtick back in the 90s.

I would probably have a look at a festival for novelty reasons but can’t imagine stumping up for a ticket and watching their own show.