Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have to say with Sleaford Mods, I didn't like them at first, and although I don't remember a specific incident where they won me over, I've never been on the fence about them, I used to think they were shit, then one day I thought they were brilliant.

Seeing them live did it for me. 

1 hour ago, jump said:

I always thought they'd reach Brixton level, maybe have a low/mid pyramid spot at Glasto and become a cult band where decades later you still see people wearing their merch like Motorhead or The Misfits despite them not being that big in their prime.

It is tricky one as they had signed to a major label, had a reputation as one of the best live bands going and the music they were producing was good but even then they still didn't get a mainstage slots at R&L despite them playing almost yearly and I can't remember someone like Foo Fighters, Slipknot or Green Day taking them as their main support for Europe.

However it's a what if, so do Gallows stay as they were or do they bend to Frank Carter and go in a softer route? If Gallows had become softer like how Frank seems to do with every album maybe they would have gotten to the point of selling out the Ally Pally and still seems like a band on the rise.

Also I've never actually seen Gallows without Frank despite being at festivals they are playing, I just don't see the point in them now.

The two albums with Wade are actually pretty good but the biggest mistake they made was keeping the Gallows name.

If they had promoted a new band with a new name ‘featuring members of Gallows and Alexisonfire’ I reckon they’d have done much better.

Instead we keep getting the understandable Frank comparisons every time Gallows play.

18 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

The two albums with Wade are actually pretty good but the biggest mistake they made was keeping the Gallows name.

If they had promoted a new band with a new name ‘featuring members of Gallows and Alexisonfire’ I reckon they’d have done much better.

Instead we keep getting the understandable Frank comparisons every time Gallows play.

Yeah, despite not seeing the new Gallows (as it's too confusing trying to reconcile it's Gallows but with no Frank) I've been quite happy to see a few of the spin off bands like Funeral Shakes, Blackhole and Lyoness without Frank just because of the connection.

Funeral Shakes are actually pretty fun live, they aren't gonna be big or anything but for a band you can see in a pub for a fiver they way beat my expectations.

Edited by jump

On 9/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, jump said:

Big and actually big are two different things, they are gonna be like The Darkness who are hot for a sec and then forgotten about as quickly. Like fuck are they the saviours of rock music.

The Darkness are one of THE great live bands. Can't wait to see them in December.

To quote Jools Holland after their Later début, "I love a band that make an effort".

3 hours ago, jump said:

Yeah, despite not seeing the new Gallows (as it's too confusing trying to reconcile it's Gallows but with no Frank) I've been quite happy to see a few of the spin off bands like Funeral Shakes, Blackhole and Lyoness without Frank just because of the connection.

Funeral Shakes are actually pretty fun live, they aren't gonna be big or anything but for a band you can see in a pub for a fiver they way beat my expectations.

Check out  Gold Key if you haven’t already. Two very underrated albums with members of Gallows and Sikth.

Saw them with an audience of about 15 in Louisiana in Bristol.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Check out  Gold Key if you haven’t already. Two very underrated albums with members of Gallows and Sikth.

Saw them with an audience of about 15 in Louisiana in Bristol.

The name rings a bell so I've been giving them a listen to this afternoon and they are alright. The first track I listened to reminded me more of Muse rather than Gallows or Sikth. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, fuck all this w*nking off over 30th anniversaries of Nevermind, Screamdelica etc. So fucking unhealthy for music, so unhealthy for society. The musical equivalent of Brexit. I'm fucking dreading the next few years of reminisces about Definitely Maybe, Different Class, Parklife whatever. I despair of our generation lionising these things and subsuming all media into this narrative. It's fucking terrible. Yeah, I know all of you on here are still listening to new music, still exploring a lot of up and coming bands and fair play to each and every one of you, but there's a significant cohort of people who will only go to one gig this year, the Screamadlica live thing and still pride themselves on being open minded sonic pioneers who love music, when the opposite is true. For God's sake, burn it down.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

21 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Seriously, fuck all this w*nking off over 30th anniversaries of Nevermind, Screamdelica etc. So fucking unhealthy for music, so unhealthy for society. The musical equivalent of Brexit. I'm fucking dreading the next few years of reminisces about Definitely Maybe, Different Class, Parklife whatever. I despair of our generation lionising these things and subsuming all media into this narrative. It's fucking terrible. Yeah, I know all of you on here are still listening to new music, still exploring a lot of up and coming bands and fair play to each and every one of you, but there's a significant cohort of people who will only go to one gig this year, the Screamadlica live thing and still pride themselves on being open minded sonic pioneers who love music, when the opposite is true. For God's sake, burn it down.

I'm out of upvoites but well said!

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

Exactly. I hate all the ‘they don’t make music like that anymore’ types.

I can only speak personally but 2021 has been an awesome year for music for me so I have no urge to listen to any 30 or 40 year old album that I have already played to death when it was released all those years ago.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yep nothing wrong with loving the music of your youth and re-visiting it occasionally but people who say they don't make music like this any more and their ilk boil my piss!! 

17 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Exactly. I hate all the ‘they don’t make music like that anymore’ types.

I can only speak personally but 2021 has been an awesome year for music for me so I have no urge to listen to any 30 or 40 year old album that I have already played to death when it was released all those years ago.

It's about finding a balance. It's important to remember and celebrate the great stuff of the past, but not be beholden to it and to keep looking forward.

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's important to remember and celebrate the great stuff of the past

It's a record, not the great fallen of WW1. I reckon just listening to it now and again if you want to is enough. No need to lay a wreath.

Edited by Mardy
Sorry, Hugh, that sounds sarkier than I meant it to.

Elvana are shite, right?

I've heard loads of people say they're great, and obviously they have great songs, but I've seen clips of them, and they're just a cover band. The whole Elvis thing is a swizz - the guy sounds nothing like Elvis, he just wears the outfit, doesn't even bother with the hair. And Dread Zeppelin did similar shtick back in the 90s.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

Elvana are shite, right?

I've heard loads of people say they're great, and obviously they have great songs, but I've seen clips of them, and they're just a cover band. The whole Elvis thing is a swizz - the guy sounds nothing like Elvis, he just wears the outfit, doesn't even bother with the hair. And Dread Zeppelin did similar shtick back in the 90s.

dumb fun. Happily saw them once, cant imagine ever really needing to see them again 

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

You're absolutely right but I think there's a direct correlation between the reduction of physical music sales and the increase in the need for bands to tour. "Anniversaries" of albums (some not even debut or considered their "classics") give acts a reason to make up for the shortfall in music sales revenue, particularly if they've not got anything new to release

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Elvana are shite, right?

You're right that they are just a cover band, and right that he doesn't sound like the king, but they're still fun. I like the schtick. I'd see them at the festival if they didn't clash with anything else I really wanted to see. I saw them at the o2 in Bristol once too, and I'd do it again, but I wouldn't pay a lot for it.