Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i've been asked a few times recently what/who is the best act you've seen at Glastonbury, my answer has been Joan Armartrading(which is a good one, as its not the sort of thing anyone is expecting.

I always just plump for Brian Wilson, on the basis that it's the first time I ever started crying at a gig (well, it was the Sunday, and 2005 was a funny old festival!).

2 hours ago, jump said:

...it's meant to be counter culture with the old timers not getting why you're listening to The Sex Pistols, Marilyn Manson, My Chemical Romance or whoever it was growing up for you rather than worrying about when they will headline Glasto or will they make it to the latest gym playlist on Spotify.

Well, yeah, but most of us on here are, well, old, aren't we? I'm about to turn 34 and still bang into new music of multiple genres, but it's hard to be a 'counter culture' figure when you're balding and have a child and mortgage to worry about. 

6 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Well, yeah, but most of us on here are, well, old, aren't we? I'm about to turn 34 and still bang into new music of multiple genres, but it's hard to be a 'counter culture' figure when you're balding and have a child and mortgage to worry about. 

Don't worry, you can still listen to Maneskin.

3 minutes ago, jump said:

Well you should have thought about that before you sold out and got a mortage!

Look, I can't be counter culture when I owe Halifax £150,000 alright. The mortgage terms and conditions stipulate Saturday evenings are for dinner parties, David Gray and James Blunt. If I play IDLES I default on the mortgage and I'm out on my arse. Nirvana are allowed if it's an acoustic cover by Lana Del Rey. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Homer said:

Idles are crap. See also: Sleaford Mods.

Couldn't you have saved this for tomorrow? My Idles gig tonight is gonna be soured by me standing there thinking "I want to enjoy this, but knowing Homer thinks they're crap has taken all the fun out"

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Quark said:

Couldn't you have saved this for tomorrow? My Idles gig tonight is gonna be soured by me standing there thinking "I want to enjoy this, but knowing Homer thinks they're crap has taken all the fun out"

Whoops - Idles are great. I love them. Now off you go and enjoy yourself - and that's an order!

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

i've been asked a few times recently what/who is the best act you've seen at Glastonbury, my answer has been Joan Armartrading(which is a good one, as its not the sort of thing anyone is expecting.

I'd love to see Joan Armatrading. Great songs and she also just seems like a lovely person. 

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Tell me if they are any good I keep contemplating buying tickets on Twickets and then not doing because I doubt they'd be better than they were at Glastonbury. 

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Tell me if they are any good I keep contemplating buying tickets on Twickets and then not doing because I doubt they'd be better than they were at Glastonbury. 

The "I don't want to watch them cos they were really good last time" is one of the most bizarre reasons not to go see a band.

Not getting at you @gigpusher(though I am a bit) as I've seen it posted quite a bit.

I'm never having steak again as it will never be as good as that time I had it in that restaurant. 

11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The "I don't want to watch them cos they were really good last time" is one of the most bizarre reasons not to go see a band.

Not getting at you @gigpusher(though I am a bit) as I've seen it posted quite a bit.

I'm never having steak again as it will never be as good as that time I had it in that restaurant. 

It is a real thing though, I've seen bands that were brilliant and then I see them a second time and they were a bit rubbish and lost interest in them in general. There's been a couple of bands who were absolutely brilliant and I've not seen more than once but to be honest it's mostly because I'm not a big enough fan of theirs in the first place.

Otherwise, I love to see a band multiple times, the most hardcore I've been into seeing a band was probably when Gallows had Frank Carter as the frontman I saw them 20-30 times in the space of 5 years.

41 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'd love to see Joan Armatrading. Great songs and she also just seems like a lovely person. 

A lot of my mates saw them in Bristol recently and apparently they were very good.

25 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Not really I think as a band they peaked at the album they were touring at the time of the last Glastonbury. Since then they have become more famous but I personally haven't enjoyed their musical output so I would be paying more for what I think would be a worse performance. I usually tend to opt for cheaper gigs anyway and so not sure if I am willing to stretch my budget for someone whom I think won't be as good as last time. 

But then again I also stopped eating steak at about 12 years old so maybe you're onto something 😄 

36 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Not really I think as a band they peaked at the album they were touring at the time of the last Glastonbury. Since then they have become more famous but I personally haven't enjoyed their musical output so I would be paying more for what I think would be a worse performance. I usually tend to opt for cheaper gigs anyway and so not sure if I am willing to stretch my budget for someone whom I think won't be as good as last time. 

But then again I also stopped eating steak at about 12 years old so maybe you're onto something 😄 

Well that makes sense. Not as good as they used to be is a valid reason. 

48 minutes ago, jump said:

It is a real thing though, I've seen bands that were brilliant and then I see them a second time and they were a bit rubbish and lost interest in them in general. There's been a couple of bands who were absolutely brilliant and I've not seen more than once but to be honest it's mostly because I'm not a big enough fan of theirs in the first place.

Otherwise, I love to see a band multiple times, the most hardcore I've been into seeing a band was probably when Gallows had Frank Carter as the frontman I saw them 20-30 times in the space of 5 years.

Well yeah, I've seen bands be alright first time, brilliant second, shite third and then good again (hello The Damned) but not bothering only because they were really good the last time is odd. 

There's always a chance they'll never top the last time but you've got to try if you still like the band, right?

7 hours ago, Quark said:

Haha. Funnily enough, in a strange way the fact that loads of people think Idles are shite makes me enjoy them more.

I’ve no idea why, I’m not normally bothered what anyone thinks of the bands I’m watching.

Maybe I feel I’m getting one over on them when I’m bouncing around having a great time with a beer in my hand. Haha.

4 hours ago, jump said:

As much as I love the rattlesnakes, I can’t help wondering how big Gallows would have been if Frank had stayed.

Those albums still hold up well nowadays be their live shows were incredible.

7 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

As much as I love the rattlesnakes, I can’t help wondering how big Gallows would have been if Frank had stayed.

I always thought they'd reach Brixton level, maybe have a low/mid pyramid spot at Glasto and become a cult band where decades later you still see people wearing their merch like Motorhead or The Misfits despite them not being that big in their prime.

It is tricky one as they had signed to a major label, had a reputation as one of the best live bands going and the music they were producing was good but even then they still didn't get a mainstage slots at R&L despite them playing almost yearly and I can't remember someone like Foo Fighters, Slipknot or Green Day taking them as their main support for Europe.

However it's a what if, so do Gallows stay as they were or do they bend to Frank Carter and go in a softer route? If Gallows had become softer like how Frank seems to do with every album maybe they would have gotten to the point of selling out the Ally Pally and still seems like a band on the rise.

Also I've never actually seen Gallows without Frank despite being at festivals they are playing, I just don't see the point in them now.

Edited by jump

7 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

BMTH got the Gallows push as soon as they cleared off. Gallows would have been the band.