Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

9 minutes ago, nikkic said:

It’ll be like when Ronaldo went back to Utd.

Only nobody will give a shit.

Aye, fair point. Got to be honest, I didn't even know XFM was still a thing!

I'm still betting on him appearing on 'I'm a celebrity'. They've already said it's in Wales instead of Australia, so I reckon they'll be struggling for A-list celebs this year! 😄

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’m very glad that Drake got the #1 album over Iron Maiden, who are a silly band for silly people who like to think they aren’t silly. 

I’ve never been a fan of Maiden for this exact reason and have always thought they were naff as hell, but decided to give the new one a go after seeing it get a lot of good reviews and… I absolutely love it, and then listened to some more stuff, and loved that too. Now I’m a fan. I’ve become a silly person ☹️

And tbf they were never ever gonna beat Drake. I can’t think of many acts right now who could beat Drake in a chart battle, regardless of his music being absolute dross these days. 

22 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah - I assumed it was voluntary, but his speech at the end made it sound like he wasn't going of his own volition, which was a bit odd.

Particularly when Indie Skeletor is still taking up arcres of valuable airtime with his collection of Northern Uproar CD singles.

Yes lots of talk on Twitter that he was told to stop doing political posts on Twitter and didn't and that's why they decided to ditch him. Might be some truth to it as I have noticed in recent months that Lauren Laverne barely tweets any more and she used to be quite active. 

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think there will ever be a metal revival and I think it’s one of the only music genres which is genuinely on the way out.

80000 Download festival goers and 25000 Bloodstock festival goers would like a word but they’re probably too busy listening to Gojira, Code Orange, While she sleeps and Architects.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

80000 Download festival goers and 25000 Bloodstock festival goers would like a word but they’re probably too busy listening to Gojira, Code Orange, While she sleeps and Architects.

Does download genuinely reach 80k attendees still? Either way, it’s a speck on the main population of festival attendees.

I also think a huge chunk of their attendees are people who just always go. My feeling with metal is there is no “next generation” of listeners coming up. Very few new bands come onto the scene and if they do they don’t have the support of the yoof. The market feels incredibly thin and there’s going to be a crisis in leadership when the big dogs all retire.

I think it’s the metal scene’s own fault for being the most closed minded music genre and gatekeeping any innovation of sound. We all know one metal fan who basically thinks all genres but metal are shit. It’s school kid mentality. 

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Does download genuinely reach 80k attendees still? Either way, it’s a speck on the main population of festival attendees.

I also think a huge chunk of their attendees are people who just always go. My feeling with metal is there is no “next generation” of listeners coming up. Very few new bands come onto the scene and if they do they don’t have the support of the yoof. The market feels incredibly thin and there’s going to be a crisis in leadership when the big dogs all retire.

I think it’s the metal scene’s own fault for being the most closed minded music genre and gatekeeping any innovation of sound. We all know one metal fan who basically thinks all genres but metal are shit. It’s school kid mentality. 

There are bands stepping up to arenas every year and innovating their sound. There are new acts coming up, filling small venues and even making mainstream festivals. Also, a lot of the big dogs have retired or powered down already.

Your criticisms seem to be borne out of stereotypes and not a lot of knowledge of what’s actually going on in metal. It seems like there might be a whole culture of music fans that are just flying under your radar.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Not very nice wishing the sack on someone just cos they don't play the music you like!

It's not just his music, I really don't like anything about his show. Sorry if that's harsh! I don't think he adds anything at all to the station (and yes I know I can turn it off, which is what I do).

Of the two I'd much rather have seen him go than Keaveny, but it is what it is. Presenters shouldn't be guaranteed a job for life; things change.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There are bands stepping up to arenas every year and innovating their sound. There are new acts coming up, filling small venues and even making mainstream festivals. Also, a lot of the big dogs have retired or powered down already.

Your criticisms seem to be borne out of stereotypes and not a lot of knowledge of what’s actually going on in metal. It seems like there might be a whole culture of music fans that are just flying under your radar.

But when was the last time we had someone get genuinely big and innovative in the metal scene? I can’t think of a single bank who has had a rise to popularity like the old dogs did back in their day. The concept of a new metal band rising to stadium stardom feels light years away.

59 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It sounds like you are describing Download Festival rather than the actual metal scene.

Just now, Matt42 said:

But when was the last time we had someone get genuinely big and innovative in the metal scene? I can’t think of a single bank who has had a rise to popularity like the old dogs did back in their day. The concept of a new metal band rising to stadium stardom feels light years away.

That’s down to history and influence. Most stadium rock bands are ancient too. in fact even Eminem, who is more or less completely irrelevant in today’s hip hop, outsells the shit out of any other rapper.

But yeah, as @jump points out, the metal scene isn’t just who goes to massive gigs. It’s who goes to shitty underground metal bars on a Tuesday night. If you checked one out, you might be surprised that the people there look normal and like bands who aren’t the big four of thrash. 😁

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If you checked one out, you might be surprised that the people there look normal and like bands who aren’t the big four of thrash. 😁

I saw Ghost at Wembley and not once did I see anyone wearing any of The Big 4 band shirts. I mostly saw Gojia, Parkway Drive, Volbeat and a few others. I only noticed as I was wearing an Interrupters hoodie and people kept coming up to me say they are fans too and loved them at Hellfest so I got curious to what other band merch people were wearing.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So what? Stadium rock is not the be all and end all of a music scene. Punk rock rarely produced any stadium bands but remains one of the most influential music scenes ever. Just cos metal hasn't produced a massive band for a while, doesn't mean the scene is dead!