Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Hooky's a shit bassist as well as a c**t.

He's not really a bassist. I don't mean that in a pejorative sense either - he's plays a bass guitar, but he really doesn't play in the bass range, he plays somewhere between the guitar and bass ranges. Which is fairly unusual, and he's usually pretty melodic when doing it too

But you're right, he fails at actually providing that bottom end. Which is why the best New Order songs also have some actual bass on them, provided by synths or drum machine.

49 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Non controversial opinion. Sparks are ace and this looks like a must see:

One of the few acts of that vintage that still produce music on a parr with anything else they’ve done. Was supposed to see them at Barrowlands this week - on hold until April. Would love them to get their afternoon slot on the Pyramid..

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Went to see a showcase at the 6 Music Festival a few years back with Future Islands and Goldfrapp, but Mael and the lads stole the show. Totally joyous occasion.

Went to see FFS (Franz Ferdinand and Sparks) on John Peel in 2015 after seeing Buzzcocks. I have to say it was the best end to the festival I've ever had! 

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Too much Franz Ferdinand in that equation for my liking. Was the Kenneth from 30 Rock guy there?

Yeah, but as a 70's kid, the chance to hear "no.1 song in heaven" & "this town ain't big enough for the both of us", shortly after seeing Buzzcocks smash through their greatest hits, was about as good as Glastonbury gets for me!

17 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Went to see FFS (Franz Ferdinand and Sparks) on John Peel in 2015 after seeing Buzzcocks. I have to say it was the best end to the festival I've ever had! 

I saw them at the Albert Hall, Manchester. Loved the gig and enjoyed the album, but ultimately would rather see them separately 

10 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I saw them at the Albert Hall, Manchester. Loved the gig and enjoyed the album, but ultimately would rather see them separately 

Can't disagree with you. But as a way to end a great festival, a combination of the two was hard to beat! I was fucking knackered, but I danced my arse off!

Except for Hendrix’s Watchtower, there is a full John Wesley Harding album cover by Thea Gilmore which is the only other knock out Dylan cover. I have difficulty in choosing the original over her version it’s that good. Of course it includes another take on Watchtower. 

3AC340AB-A40C-4014-9E6F-F7E999A50D61.jpeg

Edited by Avalon_Fields
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nina Simone's version of Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues not doing it for you?

I really like this obscurity:

Two good ones yeah. Although Dylans best version of Tom Thumbs Blues is the one that didnt make the album but is on the No Direction home soundtrack. 

Just now, Mardy said:

Nice try everyone, close, but no cigar. This is the Dylan cover you want. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s1Tl2cVeCbY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is it by Bon Iver?

• Upvote 1