Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

A controversial opinion...

Continually going back to roasting Keidis is lazy and pointless given that everyone knows and accepts that RHCP are shite.

More to the point, why do people try to mock them for ludicrously ridiculous lyrics and acting bonkers when their entire act is based on....well... ludicrously ridiculous lyrics and acting bonkers?

Its not as if them performing naked with socks on their cocks, singing nonsense and dancing like idiots was them attempting to be taken seriously.

12 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Fair.  Grand Prix knocks most other albums of its era into a cocked hat.

Since we’re in the controversial opinions thread...Saw Teenage Fanclub along with The Breeders supporting Nirvana back in ‘92...Blew both of them away (quite easily in fact)...and that was before Grand Prix put them on another level altogether! I think what I’m saying here is that I prefer the fannies to Nirvana (is that controversial?)...

18 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

More to the point, why do people try to mock them for ludicrously ridiculous lyrics and acting bonkers when their entire act is based on....well... ludicrously ridiculous lyrics and acting bonkers?

Its not as if them performing naked with socks on their cocks, singing nonsense and dancing like idiots was them attempting to be taken seriously.

You clearly don’t grasp how stupid Anthony Kiedis is.

17 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Since we’re in the controversial opinions thread...Saw Teenage Fanclub along with The Breeders supporting Nirvana back in ‘92...Blew both of them away (quite easily in fact)...and that was before Grand Prix put them on another level altogether! I think what I’m saying here is that I prefer the fannies to Nirvana (is that controversial?)...

I remember reading years ago about the Fanclub being in the studio when Cobain came in and started gushing about how much he loved them. SO he would probably agree with you.

I absolutely fucking despise Hacienda Classical and all that shit.The idea that using 'proper' musicians gives the music a kind of legitimacy and higher status is a proper c**ts trick. Voodoo Ray is a work of genius and major cultural importance. It absolutely does not need some chinless fucking prick sawing away on the violin to  make it 'proper' music. Just play the fucking record and banish these establishment c**ts.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Opening up the Pyramid Stage on a gorgeous sunny Glastonbury, Rowetta dressed as a bee, Hooky on bass, Bez shaking his maracas as they do You Got The Love.

It would take a heart of stone....

Hey, the execution is good, and I'd never begrudge Rowetta and Bez a living (Hooky can do one mind), but the concept absolutely reeks of elitism, gatekeeping and a totally unnecessary quest for authenticity, it's the antithesis of everything that makes that music so important.

I'm a big fan of Jeremy Dellar's Acid Brass project, that was a fascinating look at music and community and the connection between Britain's industrial heritage and leisure time. That's howe to do this kind of thing. With heart and integrity.

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

I absolutely fucking despise Hacienda Classical and all that shit.The idea that using 'proper' musicians gives the music a kind of legitimacy and higher status is a proper c**ts trick. Voodoo Ray is a work of genius and major cultural importance. It absolutely does not need some chinless fucking prick sawing away on the violin to  make it 'proper' music. Just play the fucking record and banish these establishment c**ts.

FUCK YEAH

I agree so much.

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I don’t mind classical interpretations of other genres… I find the grandeur of an orchestra can highlight a familiar tune in a new way and make you realise all over again what a great work of art it is.*

I then can’t help but relisten to the original afterwards anyway 🙂

That being said, I totally agree the originals absolutely don’t & shouldn’t need the Albert Hall treatment to legitimise them. There’s definitely some radio 3 types around who you just know have never been to a rave in their lives and now suddenly it’s worthy of their interest? Yeah, no.

* Like any cover or remix the arrangement & interpretation of the original song is crucial. Nothing more painful than a song you recognise but it’s had all the best bits stripped out. 🤮 A lot of dance remixes are dreadful for this…