Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

I'm (slowly) working my way through Rolling Stone's Top 100 albums (prior to last year's update) and I've just listened to the final Led Zeppelin album on the list (4 in total)...

Thank God for that, they are terrible. I hadn't really listened to them before, but they are awful.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But so is Rolling Stone? And their Top 100 Albums List was likely compiled by American men in their seventies with double denim and mullets.

Never read it, just wanted a decent list of 'classic' albums to work my way through and it has been pretty good on the whole.

13 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I'm (slowly) working my way through Rolling Stone's Top 100 albums (prior to last year's update) and I've just listened to the final Led Zeppelin album on the list (4 in total)...

Thank God for that, they are terrible. I hadn't really listened to them before, but they are awful.

And we were getting on so well until now...

Aer they really leaving you cold?  I know the albums can be a bit much and not everyone's cup of darjeeling, but when they're good.....oh my

22 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

dunno if its a controversial music opinion, it seems to be absolute 101 to me, but considering the last page or two:

Pink Floyd are irredeemably w*nky student cod-psych drug nonsense. 

Roger Waters Pink Floyd are great, after him is a bit bland, original Pink Floyd fits your description. Was never into Sid Barret era Floyd and I'm sure it gets treated more reverentially than it would otherwise due to the mystery around his later years

1 minute ago, Quark said:

And we were getting on so well until now...

Aer they really leaving you cold?  I know the albums can be a bit much and not everyone's cup of darjeeling, but when they're good.....oh my

Yeah, just find myself looking forward to each album finishing!

In fairness, I think I've listened to the 4 albums when I've been working so maybe I need to revisit them again sometime and give them more of my focus.

5 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Yeah, just find myself looking forward to each album finishing!

In fairness, I think I've listened to the 4 albums when I've been working so maybe I need to revisit them again sometime and give them more of my focus.

If you're finding the albums a slog, don't bother putting yourself through them again!

Personally I'd suggest the Mothership compilation album from 2007.  Disc 1 and the first half of Disc 2. Trims out a lot of the self indulgence and gets to the good shit.

You may still think it's dog shit of course 😄

48 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

This has given me an idea for a new project for later in the year - eFests favourite ever album.

I often wonder who the eFests most popular artist is. 

Thought it might be Blur but then your recent thread tanked that idea!

49 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

This has given me an idea for a new project for later in the year - eFests favourite ever album.

I'd like to know.

I quite like this website:

https://www.besteveralbums.com

It's from a very large dataset of contributors. I am however convinced that Radiohead do so well because Radiohead fans love to vote in these kind of things. (although I can talk, as I included The Bends in my top 40).

This is also good

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net

Though skewed towards music journalists' opinion, which I think gives it a certain bias I don't agree with.