Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

People sound like they're in Nathan Barley when they use words like "slaps" and "bop" to describe songs.

I’m a fan of that kind of thing, but it’s very quickly used to death like when someone says “the new Biffy Clyro song absolutely slaps”. No return from that point - it’s gone.

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not controversial at all to say that they should have played The fucking Lovecats.

It's a weird one, it's like it's fallen out of their setlist entirely. They did it when I saw them in 2008, but not when I saw them in 2016. They didn't even play it at their big celebratory 40th anniversary Hyde Park show. 

Anyway, as this is the controversial opinions thread - I'm as big of a Cure fan as they come, and Close To Me is their worst 'hit'.

13 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

People sound like they're in Nathan Barley when they use words like "slaps" and "bop" to describe songs.

It's not really controversial, but 99% of the time I have no idea what most people here are on about. I'm nodding and smiling like a 6-year old's aunt trying to play pokemon with them.

And yep, making that even worse as I realise that those same aunts would have been the right age to play pokemon themselves the first time around.  My pop culture references are bang on point.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 2

I've got loads of these but the main ones:

Coldplay 2016 is my favourite live show ever. Not for 100% musical reasons but it was special for many reasons, and a spectacular night. 

- I really enjoyed U2 in 2011, first time seeing them and thought the atmosphere was really good with big singalongs. Yes it was raining but not their fault. Not as good as seeing them in Singapore on their Joshua Tree tour at the end of 2019

- Stereophonics have quietly released some of their best music in the past few years, certainly their best since the first two albums. The two horrible ones after those were not the end for them

11 hours ago, Quark said:

It's not really controversial, but 99% of the time I have no idea what most people here are on about. I'm nodding and smiling like a 6-year old's aunt trying to play pokemon with them.

And yep, making that even worse as I realise that those same aunts would have been the right age to play pokemon themselves the first time around.  My pop culture references are bang on point.

POKEMON?! 

(this is in no way a suggestion you have anything in common with Bill Cosby btw) 

On 3/4/2021 at 11:59 PM, zero000 said:

All of the cure albums are mopey shite. However stick their greatest hits on and your golden. 

No one wants to sit through three hours of some middle aged goths moaning about their cat dying. Just play 90 minutes of hits and piss off. 

My girlfriend wanted to see them when they headlined. I downloaded their average setlist on spotify to listen to, as I didn't know that many Cure songs. I could never get through the whole thing, found it a total slog. 

Go thinking I'm taking a hit for the team, but hopefully she'll love it and she's quite good about going to things I like so fairs fair.

Your description in the 2nd paragraph is not only how I felt after seeing them, but how she felt about it too.

Would have been worth it if she'd enjoyed it, but since we both felt it was three hours of our life we were never getting back I shall now religiously down vote them in the hurt heal game till they are out.

Take that the Cure.

44 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

My girlfriend wanted to see them when they headlined. I downloaded their average setlist on spotify to listen to, as I didn't know that many Cure songs. I could never get through the whole thing, found it a total slog. 

Go thinking I'm taking a hit for the team, but hopefully she'll love it and she's quite good about going to things I like so fairs fair.

Your description in the 2nd paragraph is not only how I felt after seeing them, but how she felt about it too.

Would have been worth it if she'd enjoyed it, but since we both felt it was three hours of our life we were never getting back I shall now religiously down vote them in the hurt heal game till they are out.

Take that the Cure.

Wait, what? Where did you see them? I saw them at the MEN and it was very "meh", but on the Pyramid they were wonderful. Much more hit heavy.

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wait, what? Where did you see them? I saw them at the MEN and it was very "meh", but on the Pyramid they were wonderful. Much more hit heavy.

I still found it a slog. Tbh I was never up for seeing them, but my gf was and she got bored waiting for the hits. I'm not sure if she really new more than 3 or 4 songs and they didn't play one of them.

22 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I still found it a slog. Tbh I was never up for seeing them, but my gf was and she got bored waiting for the hits. I'm not sure if she really new more than 3 or 4 songs and they didn't play one of them.

Ah. I was big into them in the mid/early nineties so I knew every song.

I'd say about 2/3 of what the cure played were singles but obviously most none cure fans will only know the bigger hits.  I absolutely loved the set but my wife didn't get the fuss and only knew a couple of hits .

Its not for everyone same as we went along to see Ed sheeran as our daughters have seen him few times and convinced us how good it would be . Despite knowing most of what he sang I look at it as 2 hours of my life ill never get back 🤧