Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

36 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Or... they were shite, everything sounded the same, just with a different vocalist.

The only decent thing they did was Roadblock and that was when they were pretending to be someone else.

I should add this is not a controversial view, everyone apart from Kalifire knows it to be true.

Largely agree - though Pete Burns wants a word (fun fact: that song is actually quite rude; as in why would he want to spin some right round (baby, right round, like a record baby, right round, round, round) 180 degrees so they had their back to him?).

Edited by Homer

46 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

This just become a Beatles thread now? Ho hum.

I'm afraid this thread can't officially die until someone trots out the classic (adopts Adam Buxton spoddy voice) 'well, I actually prefer Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac' (unless someone already has, I can't remember).

On 2/28/2021 at 11:09 AM, WestCountryGirl said:

Disclaimer: not a controversial opinion, just musings on the topic of the moment:

I do wonder sometimes what it would have been like to have to 'find' The Beatles for myself, to have just heard the 'big hits' maybe and then have chosen to explore their full discography under my own steam.

As it was though, I just happened to be born into an entire family of Beatles obsessives. Of course we all have our own opinions on the songs themselves and have gone on to broaden our musical horizons but The Beatles are just so steeped in sentiment, nostalgia and all of my fondest memories are soundtracked by them that I genuinely can't imagine what my life would have been without them. They are a constant. And that Beatles love is now already being imprinted on my nephews and nieces.

I just can't imagine any other act around today that the Grandparents right down to the 5 year old grandchildren are all on the same page about being one of their favourite bands/musicians of all time. Of course, this will inevitably fade out in time, but I think there is plenty of gas in the Beatles fandom tank to last a while yet.

Semi-related: uni of Liverpool have just launched an MA on them https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/music/study/postgraduate-taught/the-beatles-ma/

Read Broken Greek by Pete Paphides and find out. He genuinely knew Paul McCartney's post Beatles work before he had even heard of The Beatles. It's also a really, really great book so won't be a waste of your time. 

16 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Ditto for Never Let Me Down.

48 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Tonight by Bowie isn't that bad at all actually.

Yes they are.  And I don't buy the "the songs were alright, but the production was crap" angle either.  They were bad.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

14 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I love LCD but that last album was rubbish.  The fact it was their biggest seller is all the proof needed that a lot of people have ears of cloth.

Suggests to me that a lot of people bought it before they actually listened to it... myself included.

That said I didn’t think it was that bad.

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Weird bit of revisionism on here today, American Dream might well be the weakest LCD record, but Oh Baby, How Do You Sleep, Call The Police and American Dream are all bangers.

I didn't like it when it came out so I've been consistent! It's too gloomy for my tastes.

28 minutes ago, Homer said:

The fact that they played f&ck all of it live the couple of times I saw them may say something!

Really? I saw them a few times in the last tour and they definitely played Call the Police, Tonite, Oh Baby, How Do You Sleep and Emotional Haircut. Pretty sure they did American Dream at the Barrowlands too, but tbf the didn't do all of the others at that gig. 

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Really? I saw them a few times in the last tour and they definitely played Call the Police, Tonite, Oh Baby, How Do You Sleep and Emotional Haircut. Pretty sure they did American Dream at the Barrowlands too, but tbf the didn't do all of the others at that gig. 

Maybe it's because I mainly saw them at festivals (Glasto and Lovebox)? Did go to to Ally Pally, but I sadly have no memory of that one bar the first four or so songs (the photos I found on my phone suggest I had a good time anyway; from the video next to it, I deduced that this one was from the drop on Dance Yrself Clean).

29258053_10155041889647581_4916476349658431488_o.jpg